Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've been noticing the last few weeks that the battery cover on my treo has been getting harder and harder to take off. I looked at my battery yesterday and it looks a little bit irregularly shaped. I swapped in the battery from a friend's treo and my battery cover feels fine with the other battery. I've also noticed recently that my battery life has dropped. Is anyone elses battery getting fatter? Is it going to explode?
    Quote Originally Posted by milkham View Post
    I've been noticing the last few weeks that the battery cover on my treo has been getting harder and harder to take off. I looked at my battery yesterday and it looks a little bit irregularly shaped. I swapped in the battery from a friend's treo and my battery cover feels fine with the other battery. I've also noticed recently that my battery life has dropped. Is anyone elses battery getting fatter? Is it going to explode?
    It is more likely to corrode. In any case, replace it now. That will be a lot cheaper than replacing the Treo later.
    Is this a Palm battery, or a secondhand battery?
    I think this has to do with leaving the phone plugged in overnight or for a long time. I do this every night and my batteries are shaped like this now. however my baterries seems to last just as long as when they were new.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    its the original palm battery that came with my phone
    I just bought a new battery on Amazon for $19.00. And its a Palm brand.
    I had mentioned at one point here that I never left my phone charging overnite. Shouldn't have said that; should've said rarely (maybe once or twice a month I forget and leave it on charge all night). I've still got great batt life after about 20 or so months. Rarely go below 60 to 70% (I have various chargers I use throughout the day). Battery shape normal. I top off often, but once charged, I try to remember to unplug.
    It should not matter, the charging circuitry DOES drop to a slow trickle after the battery is full. If it didn't do this, the battery would overheat very quickly. LiIon batteries are very sensitive to their charging.

I plug mine into the charger when I go to bed and unplug it as I leave for work, every day.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I always charge my LI-Ion batteries overnite or for 8-16 hours at a time and have never had a issue with overcharging or swelling etc.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I always charge my LI-Ion batteries overnite or for 8-16 hours at a time and have never had a issue with overcharging or swelling etc.
    Same here. My indicator light turns solid green when its through charging.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It should not matter, the charging circuitry DOES drop to a slow trickle after the battery is full. If it didn't do this, the battery would overheat very quickly. LiIon batteries are very sensitive to their charging.

I plug mine into the charger when I go to bed and unplug it as I leave for work, every day.
    yeah, lots of battery superstition out there
    well i ordered a new battery from amazon, i couldnt make myself pay the 40 bucks for the seidio battery though i wanted it. any of you guys have it? i've read that it is a tight fit, just like my fat battery
    well i ordered a new battery from amazon, i couldnt make myself pay the 40 bucks for the seidio battery though i wanted it. any of you guys have it? i've read that it is a tight fit, just like my fat battery
    I have the Seidio battery and like it. No fit problem. However, it will not charge in Seidio charger; only in the phone. The charger works fine on the Treo battery. Go figure?
    Well, perhaps. Sony sure seems to be suffering from it.
    Yeah, I know about the trickle; after the regular charge I see the voltage cycle up & down between ~4.18 and 4.21 volts. When in this mode it's trickling about 30% of the time working the voltage upwards to 4.21. Then it appears to stop and voltage immediately drops to 4.18 and stays there the other 70% of the time. Then the cycle starts trickling again. Don't think this is needed so I just pull it off. It stays at about 4.18 for quite awhile after unplugging, whether or not I've left it trickling for extended periods. Therefore don't see the need for extra cycling.
    You seriously sit there and monitor the phone and yank the cord the minute it turns green? Good grief, I wish I had your time.
    I had the same problem with my stock battery, after about 12 months it barley would hold a charge and started bulging.

I got the seidio extended battery and never looked back. This one lasts forever.
    I charge it every night long and it is ok!
    There is likely build-up of H2 gas in the battery. Replace ASAP. Remember the recent Sony battery recall?

Everything you wanted to know about batteries:

http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There is likely build-up of H2 gas in the battery. Replace ASAP. Remember the recent Sony battery recall?

Everything you wanted to know about batteries:

http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp
    Good book. Told me more about batteries than I wanted to know.

As batteries go, ours are expensive but, in general, batteries are cheap. Under normal use they are safe. However, in normal use good batteries do not over heat or change shape. Over heating and changing of shape are bad signs. I replace such batteries.
    don't see that it takes more time. It's either unplug it now or do it later. if you mean time involved watching charge behavior, can hardly not notice as it sits in charge cradle on car dash. Unless the batt is really low, I avoid all night charges. Other than that, about the only times it gets fully charged is when it's sitting in the car cradle.

FWIW, I still have a kyo 6035 from 2001, original battery, decent life. Didn't treat its batt as well as I did the one in the treo 600 I have (from Oct 2003) which is in great shape. Of course, they don't get used like they used to (just games & stuff with the kids for the most part)! Just amazes me the batts still work as well as they do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast