Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Charging off and on like that constantly is probably WORSE for the battery, but whatever suits ya.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, which is why I don't let it happen often. Although the cycles are short, they happen all night long. If I didn't have access to power at various times throughout the day, I know I'd have to do overnite charges a lot more often. I think that's why I've never had to buy replacement batteries (either that, or I've always gotten lucky with original batts!)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There is likely build-up of H2 gas in the battery. Replace ASAP. Remember the recent Sony battery recall?

Everything you wanted to know about batteries:

http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp
    I agree, battery swelling sounds dangerous to me. You don't want to have that thing explode while you or someone you care about is near it!!! Or have it catch fire.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ok, I read the article. But did not find any recommendations should I charge the bat as often as possible and do not allow it to be discharged heavily or not. For example now my bat never gets discharged lower than 70%. Or will it be better if I discharge it almost completely, say, up to 10% - 15% and only then charge again? What method is better to prolong bat life?
    I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the Treo manual?) that the Li-ion batteries like to be topped off. (They said) that one should just plug-in the Treo to charge every evening and top-off the charge.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There is likely build-up of H2 gas in the battery. Replace ASAP. Remember the recent Sony battery recall?

Everything you wanted to know about batteries:

http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp
    Yeah, it sounds like she's gonna Blow! That's not something you want to have happen, especially if the Treo's on your belt, especially if it's shifted around to the front a little.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    how should i dispose of the swelling battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by milkham View Post
    how should i dispose of the swelling battery?
    Look up battery recycling for your community. Where I live, I can drop them off at the public library.
    Just this past week my Seidio battery swelled up to the point I couldn't get it back in the phone. It is just under 6 months old and within Seidio's general warranty so I'm going to see if they'll take care of it. I only used the Seidio brand charger with it as well. It was a secondary battery I only used when my primary was dead and I wasn't in a position to recharge it.

It seems like I have a lemon because I have not heard of these batteries doing this, but I don't plan on going through one of these every 5 months either.
    Swelling battery might be an indication of problems. Poorly manufactured LiOn batteries have been known to have internal shorts that can lead to fire.

LiOn batteries are about the easiest to care for and will provide 3-5 years of useful life if you follow this rule: keep 'em cool (i.e., 50-120 degrees F is ideal, danger range is above 150 F.). That includes during the charging cycle and discharging ("regular use") cycle. Never let them drain all the way down, because there is a circuit breaker that permanantly trips if the charge gets too low, rendering the battery useless (good news is that there is still plenty of charge left in them when your treo shuts off due to low battery). Other than that, when not using them, remember the 40/40 rule: store them with a 40% charge at 40 degrees F.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Treo can subject the battery to heat above 120 degrees - especially if you talk on the phone or stream video for long periods of time (>60 min). Charging it at the same time will also serve to heat it up even more. There is a safeguard in your phone that will keep the backlight from illuminating if the brightness setting (option-P) is kept below a certain threshold that varies with the temperature of the unit. If you notice that you have to increase the brightness for the backlight to come on, then you know your Treo's gotten too warm. Best to let it cool down at that point.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12