Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please post your questions regarding licensing of Good Mobile Messaging here and I will update the FAQ.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    So I use a hosted exchange provider, (I have 2 accounts with The Message Center and 1 account with Fasthosts.co.uk).

I The Message Center monthly for GoodLink (about 9.95 per month) and then I pay an additional $45 for data on Verizon for 2 phones.

on the UK account (which is a GSM unlocked treo), I pay FastHosts for GoodLink and I pay cingular for unlimited data (I forget the price).

How does this affect me?

I would save money by using the GDP, but with a hosted solution (and not having my own Goodlink server), I really dont think I have this option..
    Looking at #3 in your FAQ.

I have a treo with Cingular: My personal device, personal unlimited data plan, bill comes to my home, paid out of my own pocket. Reimbursed by my employer via expense. If I understand correctly, I'll need to contact Cingular and kill my data plan and have it replaced by the "Good Data Plan"?

And Jim Bob in the next cube over will have to do the same thing because he's setup the exact same way, right?

Sounds like I just have to have my users call their provider and change data plans if they fall into the partners (Cing, Veri, Spri). Will anything have to be changed in the console because of this? i.e. reprovisioning, etc.

We don't have business accounts setup with any carrier as we're just not big enough, each employee is free to work their own deal with whatever carrier the go with. So buying CAL's through Good might be the best way for us to go. And is the CAL a serial # or something that has to be tracked by me?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions but as I told the Sales lady today. Good took a perfectly simple process and really screwed it up imo.
    Last edited by treoracer; 09/07/2006 at 08:31 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post
    So I use a hosted exchange provider, (I have 2 accounts with The Message Center and 1 account with Fasthosts.co.uk).

I The Message Center monthly for GoodLink (about 9.95 per month) and then I pay an additional $45 for data on Verizon for 2 phones.

on the UK account (which is a GSM unlocked treo), I pay FastHosts for GoodLink and I pay cingular for unlimited data (I forget the price).

How does this affect me?

I would save money by using the GDP, but with a hosted solution (and not having my own Goodlink server), I really dont think I have this option..
    Hosted customers are where it gets kind of sticky. Let me check on this and get back with you.
  5.    #5  
    Very good questions.

I have a treo with Cingular: My personal device, personal unlimited data plan, bill comes to my home, paid out of my own pocket. Reimbursed by my employer via expense. If I understand correctly, I'll need to contact Cingular and kill my data plan and have it replaced by the "Good Data Plan"?

And Jim Bob in the next cube over will have to do the same thing because he's setup the exact same way, right?
    Correct.

Sounds like I just have to have my users call their provider and change data plans if they fall into the partners (Cing, Veri, Spri). Will anything have to be changed in the console because of this? i.e. reprovisioning, etc.
    For non-corporate users, also known and individual liable, you are correct. They contact their respective carriers and switch their plans over to the GDP. There is nothing that has to be done anywhere as it relates to your installation. It is strictly a back-office billing code change.

We don't have business accounts setup with any carrier as we're just not big enough, each employee is free to work their own deal with whatever carrier the go with. So buying CAL's through Good might be the best way for us to go. And is the CAL a serial # or something that has to be tracked by me?
    You can purchase your CAL's through Good. There is nothing that needs to be done for CAL's. We know exactly how many users you have and how many CAL's you have purchased. If you are out of compliance, we will let you know.

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions but as I told the Sales lady today. Good took a perfectly simple process and really screwed it up imo.
    Not dumb questions at all. Actually, while at first glance it appears screwed up, when you look at the long term, it is easier for you. No more subscriptions expiring at various times throughout the year, no more renewals. You pay the for the CAL and call it a day. Granted, for our existing customers, it is a bit of a paradigm shift and there have been some painful spots, however, I think that for the long term, this is the smart way to go.
    Excellent answers. One last question:

Is there some magical date all this turns over? Trying to get a feel for a deadline I can give the users as to when they need to have their plans switched over with their carrier. Something tells me the girls in the Cingular store in the local strip mall won't know what the heck Good Data Plan is so I want to give as much notice as possible.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoracer View Post
    Excellent answers. One last question:

Is there some magical date all this turns over? Trying to get a feel for a deadline I can give the users as to when they need to have their plans switched over with their carrier. Something tells me the girls in the Cingular store in the local strip mall won't know what the heck Good Data Plan is so I want to give as much notice as possible.
    The 30 day notice on the email is optimal. Please start letting your folks know as soon as possible.
    I just called Cingular to switch mine over, very easy. I'll let my users know today, including the international folks. I'll pull the carrier list from good.com

Thanks for all your help.
  9.    #9  
    Glad to hear it.
    Couple things to know with Cingular:

The GDP is $5 more a month (for non corporate users) than the regular data plan, was unexpected.

Of the 3 employees to call them this morning to change data plans, 2 of them got reps that had no idea what Good is. I was the successful caller and pulled the following code from my bill which cleared it up for the other 2 callers: GOODLINKCONNECTUNTL
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Actually, while at first glance it appears screwed up, when you look at the long term, it is easier for you. No more subscriptions expiring at various times throughout the year, no more renewals. You pay the for the CAL and call it a day. Granted, for our existing customers, it is a bit of a paradigm shift and there have been some painful spots, however, I think that for the long term, this is the smart way to go.
    I agree that the one-time license at activation is desirable. However it seems that Good is moving away from its differentiators from BlackBerry - carrier and device and data plan agnosticism. I am quite sure that the business decision behind this was not to make licensing more convenient for customers. It was probably to reap more revenues by working directly with carriers to force people to more expensive data plans.
  12.    #12  
    Actually, we make less money with this plan than we did with our old licensing model. We have nothing to do with the carrier pricing of their data plans. Using Cingular as an example, a $5 per month increase over their current data plan works out to $60 a year. That is MUCH less than $330 a year even assuming that we get that full $5.

We are still carrier and device agnostic. You need a data plan from the carrier, regardless of our license model.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    That is a shame that Good makes less money, because it appears the carriers sure make more money. I have people with $20 unlimited Vision plans with Sprint and $20 Media plans from Cingular who are not going to like the thought of $45 GoodLink plans to do exactly what they get now...
  14.    #14  
    One thing regarding the Sprint plan is the you are getting the Phone as modem data plan with the GDP.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Nice to know, but that means little for those people who don't ever intend to use it. 95% of my customers want voice and email. It would be a hard sell to tell them that extra money is going for features they will never use.

Not really trying to argue here, it's just that we can't turn on a dime and completely redo our wireless setup as easily as we would like. Add the fact that we have customers on carriers that do not have GDPs available makes this change a logistical nightmare for us.

Sorry, but I have to ask...if Good is in business to make a profit, and switching to a carrier based model makes Good less money, and people are up in arms for the change, why did Good do it???
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Hosted customers are where it gets kind of sticky. Let me check on this and get back with you.
    GoodGuy, any news on this?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423 View Post
    Nice to know, but that means little for those people who don't ever intend to use it. 95% of my customers want voice and email. It would be a hard sell to tell them that extra money is going for features they will never use.

Not really trying to argue here, it's just that we can't turn on a dime and completely redo our wireless setup as easily as we would like. Add the fact that we have customers on carriers that do not have GDPs available makes this change a logistical nightmare for us.

Sorry, but I have to ask...if Good is in business to make a profit, and switching to a carrier based model makes Good less money, and people are up in arms for the change, why did Good do it???
    While the per user amount is less, we get much more coverage and feet on the street with the carrier based model by having carrier reps offering our product. 1000's more people. So, yes, less per user, but more users.

People, in general, are not up in arms with the model. Most (not all) prefer the monthly billing as opposed to the higher, upfront cost. The fact that Sprint decided to have such a radical difference between their unlimited data plan and the GDP was completely their decision, not ours.

Having customers on GDP is, in actuallity, no different than the old model. You pay Good for the STS ($240 a year). This works out to $20 a month. Under the old model, it was $27.50 a month. Yes, the first year, when you purchase the CAL, it is a bit more ($9 more than the old model) but it is not all up front.
    Not all of our current Good contracts end on the same day, thus some handhelds are going to be on CALs while others are finishing up their annual contracts. Is there any way to tell from the customer portal (or other automated tool) how many of each we currently have and when the exisitng contracts expire?
  19.    #19  
    tstout, PM me with your company name and phone number and I can call you and give you the breakdown. Unfortunately, it isn't currently available via the portal.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post

How does this affect me?

GoodGuy, any updated info on this?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast