Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post
    not to make a comment.. well.. ok.. maybe to make a comment.. out of the entire post(s) regarding licensing and the changes with GL that I asked multiple times since 9/7 regarding Hosted GoodLink, this is what you choose to respond to?

Now I know you dont even need to respond, but seriously..

Yes, the PDA data plan is X, and a Treo costs Y, and so on..

The question is still no different. why do I have to pay anything [more] to the carrier to to use Goodlink, they provide me nothing more then they did before and I use a hosted provider. When I called GoodLink, they told me to tell the carrier that I use a Hosted Service and I dont need the extra whaterver they are asking me to buy, and Cingular told me "thats just the way it is"... nothing has changed for me.. the Hosted GL provider carrrier pays whatever they pay to GL, this has nothing to do with me.. dont they already pay the perpetual fee, isnt that a requirement for any CAL, I have used GL for over a year and have never had to pay "more".. I pay my hosted provider X for goodlink.. and that is it..

I have no idea how this could be so confusing..
    I understand the frustration. Believe me, I hear it all the time. The reason you 'may' pay more (still awaiting clarification) for GMM is the same reason you pay more for a Blackberry Data Plan than you do for a 'regular' data plan. Good and BB are service providers and you pay for that service. The host may pay for the license and you pay the host to use his Exchange server and his GMM server and he provides the license. I guess, technically, he could pay for the STS and pass that cost along (or eat it if he likes) to the users. Again, until I get clarification, I don't know.

If you have a hosted BB service, you would use the BB data plan from your respective carrier. With Good, it may be (again, waiting to hear) the same. I know the comments about changing towards the BB way and how it is good, bad or indifferent. Unfortunately, that is the model we had to move to to ensure our survival.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    I understand the frustration. Believe me, I hear it all the time. The reason you 'may' pay more (still awaiting clarification) for GMM is the same reason you pay more for a Blackberry Data Plan than you do for a 'regular' data plan. Good and BB are service providers and you pay for that service. The host may pay for the license and you pay the host to use his Exchange server and his GMM server and he provides the license. I guess, technically, he could pay for the STS and pass that cost along (or eat it if he likes) to the users. Again, until I get clarification, I don't know.

If you have a hosted BB service, you would use the BB data plan from your respective carrier. With Good, it may be (again, waiting to hear) the same. I know the comments about changing towards the BB way and how it is good, bad or indifferent. Unfortunately, that is the model we had to move to to ensure our survival.
    Thanks for the feedback GoodGuy..

Part of my confusion as well is, it seems that the new licensing agreement is just transferring what was already being paid directly to Good now to the Carrier (who then pays Good).. With that in mind, it would seem that the Host was already "paying" this fee to Good, and I was already being charged by them for this with my monthly fee.. now, since nothing has changed on the Hosting Providers end (they are not reducing their fee), and nothing has changed for my data plan/usage (i still have unlimited data), it would seem like under the circumstance of Hosted GL solutions one of two things is now happening:

1 - the Host was already paying this "fee" and charging it back to me in the monthy cost (Which I assumed has been the case all along as it was required by Good for all CAL's). Now there is a situation of Good potentially "double-dipping" for fees for services

2- the host was NEVER paying this fee to Good, as it was not required when using a Hosted GL platform, and then this is a NEW fee imposed by Good for all hosted users.

Also, just for my information, how does Cincular even know I use GoodLink?

Again, thanks for the help, I know your not required to jump in here, and although I only speak for myself, your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.
    [QUOTE=jbiz;1122587]well as for Cingular, I got a notice saying Since you are using GoodLink, we are going to automatically move you to the unlimited GL plan (from the regular unlimited plan).QUOTE]

Fortunately, Cingular has not "caught" me, I guess. but, it all seems so stupid--it's just a data connection. I guess that there is no TMO issue since they have no GL tie-in. TMO is a great carrier in all respects but coverage. Unfortunately, coverage trumps all hence I use Cingular and VZW too.
  4.    #44  
    Thanks for the feedback GoodGuy..

Part of my confusion as well is, it seems that the new licensing agreement is just transferring what was already being paid directly to Good now to the Carrier (who then pays Good).. With that in mind, it would seem that the Host was already "paying" this fee to Good, and I was already being charged by them for this with my monthly fee.. now, since nothing has changed on the Hosting Providers end (they are not reducing their fee), and nothing has changed for my data plan/usage (i still have unlimited data), it would seem like under the circumstance of Hosted GL solutions one of two things is now happening:
    Under the old subscription model, yes, the host was paying for the subscription and passing that cost along to the users. At $330 for a one year subscription (retail), that works out to roughly $28 a month. Now, I am assuming the hosting providers paid less than retail for subs, but I don't know since I was never in that group. The users of that host paid a monthly fee. For easy math we will say a sub was $330 and the monthly fee the host was charging was $20. Therefore, the host was subsidizing $90 and making that up in set-up fees, Exchange hosting, etc. The bottom line is he was paying for a subscription and charging his users for monthly usage of that sub.

Now, with the license model, there is a one-time cost of $99. Again, don't know what the host's cost really is, so we stick with $99. He still charges that same $20 per month for that license. So, what he paid $99 for, he is making $140 a year and his cost is covered in about 5 months. Remember, that license is his forever, to use with as many people as he wants as long as he remains in compliance. He has purchased a license and he is the licensing that license to you. The STS/GDP was a subscription that was built into the cost of the GoodLink license. That is no longer the case. The fact that they are not reducing what they charge to their users based upon their new license cost is something we have absolutely no control over. His licenses expired just like all licenses and he had to renew that license when it did expire. That is no longer the case.

1 - the Host was already paying this "fee" and charging it back to me in the monthy cost (Which I assumed has been the case all along as it was required by Good for all CAL's). Now there is a situation of Good potentially "double-dipping" for fees for services
    This is where I am awaiting clarification. If the host is paying the STS to Good, then you are correct. There is no need for a GDP. With the new model, the license does not cover transport, so there is no double-dipping.

2- the host was NEVER paying this fee to Good, as it was not required when using a Hosted GL platform, and then this is a NEW fee imposed by Good for all hosted users.
    No, he was paying the fee via the subscription as it was included in the price of the sub. Since we are no longer on that model, that is no longer the case. The price is very close to the same ($99 + $240) as the one year subscription, it is just broken down into two parts now, so it is not a new fee. The carriers subsidize that $240 (like they do for phones, etc) and create the Good Data Plan, which has a premium attached since it is an additional service. The price the carrier charges is entirely up to them and we have no control over it, hence the differences in GDP pricing between the carriers.

That's a secret.

Actually, that is a very good question. All traffic travels through our NOC, so the only way I can think of is Cingular sees the headers of traffic and see that it goes through us and then they can bounce the phone number off of a list of people with GDP's and out comes those who don't.

Again, thanks for the help, I know your not required to jump in here, and although I only speak for myself, your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

No worries whatsoever. The funny thing is, I started here as a way to possible get some leads for people interested in buying GMM. It turned out to be much more and I thoroughly enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote:

That's a secret.

Actually, that is a very good question. All traffic travels through our NOC, so the only way I can think of is Cingular sees the headers of traffic and see that it goes through us and then they can bounce the phone number off of a list of people with GDP's and out comes those who don't.
    I have to say that I am not too sure I am happy that a carrier would do any sort of account checking with a 3rd party without my consent.. I have to think about that a bit more, but something doesnt seem right about this... not sure what.. but something just doesn't sound right about this..
  6.    #46  
    I have to say that I am not too sure I am happy that a carrier would do any sort of account checking with a 3rd party without my consent.. I have to think about that a bit more, but something doesnt seem right about this... not sure what.. but something just doesn't sound right about this..
    It isn't being checked with us. They can see the IP address that traffic is routed through.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    It isn't being checked with us. They can see the IP address that traffic is routed through.
    so Cingular (and other carriers) have been provided a list of all IP's (or the IP range) that route to the Good NOC by Good? I assume surfing the web on the phone to good.com should technically result in the same "flag"..
  8.    #48  
    Anyone can find IP any IP address out there and where it terminates. For example, Treocentral has an IP 67.19.190.244.

As I said, I have no idea as to how Cingular knows. Beyond my scope
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Anyone can find IP any IP address out there and where it terminates. For example, Treocentral has an IP 67.19.190.244.

As I said, I have no idea as to how Cingular knows. Beyond my scope
    That I know.. just curious how "in-bed" with the carriers is Good.. i mean.. if you read one of my previuos posts, the cingular rep said they acquired the Good company.. hahaha
  10.    #50  
    Believe me, I wonder that too!

CingularGuy...dunno about that...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Believe me, I wonder that too!

CingularGuy...dunno about that...
    I guess it's MotoGuy now..
  12.    #52  
    I guess it's MotoGuy now..
    Not yet...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    GoodGuy, any clarification yet on the Hosted GL and the license fees?
  14.    #54  
    jbiz...

Nothing. Let me ping him again.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123