Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treoracer View Post
    Couple things to know with Cingular:

The GDP is $5 more a month (for non corporate users) than the regular data plan, was unexpected.

Of the 3 employees to call them this morning to change data plans, 2 of them got reps that had no idea what Good is. I was the successful caller and pulled the following code from my bill which cleared it up for the other 2 callers: GOODLINKCONNECTUNTL

How much is the unlimited GDP on Cingular per month? I am currently on a $20 unlimited data plan (that is still working with Goodlink).
    Last edited by jtrain73; 10/18/2006 at 11:23 AM. Reason: text change
    $45 month for me.
    I know this may be a stupid question, but I have Cingular service and I have attempted to purchase a license directly from the Cingular Nationwide Business Order Desk for Good, but they seem unable to send me ANYTHING related to using Good. I have no information about how to initiate service, download the software, or how to set it up. The only thing I do have is a bill for the license. Help
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I know this may be a stupid question, but I have Cingular service and I have attempted to purchase a license directly from the Cingular Nationwide Business Order Desk for Good, but they seem unable to send me ANYTHING related to using Good. I have no information about how to initiate service, download the software, or how to set it up. The only thing I do have is a bill for the license. Help
    Marest...

Does your company all ready have a GMM server in place?
    I just setup my 30 trial, with the intention of just rolling the server live. I setup the GMM today and installed the client on my 700w with some reservation. My question is, with the new CAL format, what is to stop me/my users, from just continuing with their existing data plans? If I buy all of my CALs direct from one source, the data transversing the network is still the same data, unless the carriers have traps to log where it is being routed and then inquire with the account holder, or Good reports to the carrier what ESN is passing traffic through their (your) datacenter, what would be the users incentive to make the call to deal with the always "ever so helpful" customer support?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by eriq35 View Post
    I just setup my 30 trial, with the intention of just rolling the server live. I setup the GMM today and installed the client on my 700w with some reservation. My question is, with the new CAL format, what is to stop me/my users, from just continuing with their existing data plans? If I buy all of my CALs direct from one source, the data transversing the network is still the same data, unless the carriers have traps to log where it is being routed and then inquire with the account holder, or Good reports to the carrier what ESN is passing traffic through their (your) datacenter, what would be the users incentive to make the call to deal with the always "ever so helpful" customer support?
    The carriers report to us the phone with Good Data Plans. We bounce that off of the users in our NOC. What comes out at the bottom are the users that do not have Good Data Plans.

Secondly, it is in our End-User Agreement that users will get a GDP, so by not doing so, you are breaking the licensing agreement.
    Back to my license question, I was going to go with a hosted plan from one of the companies on the Good website.
    Quote Originally Posted by veblen View Post
    I agree that the one-time license at activation is desirable. However it seems that Good is moving away from its differentiators from BlackBerry - carrier and device and data plan agnosticism. I am quite sure that the business decision behind this was not to make licensing more convenient for customers. It was probably to reap more revenues by working directly with carriers to force people to more expensive data plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Actually, we make less money with this plan than we did with our old licensing model. We have nothing to do with the carrier pricing of their data plans... We are still carrier and device agnostic. You need a data plan from the carrier, regardless of our license model.
    I thought I'd share an e-mail from our corporate mobile messaging coordinator. Regardless of what we hear from Good in theory, I think in practice this reinforces my point about them moving away from their differentiators with data plan and device agnosticism. I will relish the day when our 10,000 users migrate completely to the Microsoft Direct Push Solution! Here's the e-mail:

We had to pull T-Mobile devices from the server because T-Mobile cancelled their contract with Good Technology, the vendor we use for secure push email. As a result, Good no longer supports T-Mobile devices, and will charge us a premium for each T-Mobile device on the server. This is why we pulled T-Mobile devices from the supported device page.

As for the Dash, unfortunately saying that it has the same specs as the Q are inaccurate. The ROM versions, applications, and functionality are different. The only similarities are that it is running Windows Mobile Smartphone. Secondly, and probably more important, Good Mobile Messaging does not currently support the T-Mobile Dash, and as a result of cancelling the contract above, will never certify the Dash with Good Mobile Messaging, so short-term/long-term, we won’t ever be able to support it. Our contract with Good requires supported devices only on the server, so the Dash will have to come off the server. If the Good Operations Center does an audit and finds unsupported devices, we’ll start receiving phone calls about our support contract.
    Now, most people on this forum will know that the Dash is an MS Smartphone device with OS specs exactly like the Motorola Q (which is supported): same memory footprint, same screen dimensions, same base operating system. In fact, I am using Good on it right now and it works flawlessly. It's like saying that you can run Windows on a Dell PC but not an HP. The terminology really should be "non-contracted" devices, rather than "unsupported." Carrier and device agnostic?? How can that be when the Good Operations Center audits the server logs to make sure that non-contracted devices/carriers aren't being used?
    Last edited by veblen; 11/02/2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
  9.    #29  
    Couple of things. T-Mobile never had a contract with Good, so they could not have 'pulled' it. The price for a T-Mobile device on Good is the same as it was under the old licensing agreement. The old plan was $330 a year. With the new licensing, it is $99 for the license (when purchased individually, discounts on pack pricing) and $240 for the STS, so a total of $339. Next year, assuming we don't have something in place with T-Mobile by then, it will be $240. So, if pricing is their issue, they are misunderstanding the old vs the new licensing model.

As for the Dash, we are supporting and certifying the Dash. From what I understand, the next release of GMM (due anyday now) will provide support for the Dash. I personally have spoken with TMO VARS that we are working with for that device.

As you have seen, it works now. Your guy is right in thought. Each carrier does different things to the ROM, so the Q and the Dash are different. However, I can say we found the Dash to be very 'receptive' to GMM, hence the reason we are going to support the device, even though we don't currently have an agreement in place with TMO.

We are device and carrier agnostic. We currently have GMM users on roughly 135 different carriers around the world on I don't know how many devices, including those not 'certified'. As for the data plan differentiator, the carriers determine the price of their data plans, not Good. Cingular and Verizon charge an $5 a month more for their Good Data Plans than their regular unlimited data plans. Sprint charges more. That was strictly Sprint's decision. This lowers the cost of GMM from $330 a year under the old model to $60 a year after the initial $99 license. If you use a carrier other than those three, then the price is close the same the first year ($9 more) then lower every year thereafter.

We don't 'audit' the NOC for usage on non-contracted carriers. We audit the NOC for users that are either not on Good Data Plans through the carrier or that have not paid the STS fee directly to us. The advantage we have over BB is that we do not need to have a carrier agreement in place in order to use GMM on that carrier. Licenses and STS' are carrier agnostic. Regardless of where you buy the CAL from, you can use it on any carrier. You purchase an STS from Good, you can use any carrier that you like. The issue is whether that carrier supports the device. This mainly applies to international carriers, though we did run into things when TMO didn't 'support the 650, but people were running unlocked versions on TMO.

You may relish the day your 10,000 users move to EAS, however, that ties right into your perception where we are heading. One operating system which limits device choice and Cingular has started charging more for data plans for users using ActiveSync and my guess would be the other carriers will start following suit when they see their bandwidth being commoditized by AS users.
    All of your points are fair, GoodGuy.

I guess that my particular profile - T-Mobile customer who prefers Windows Mobile devices - kindof slips through the cracks and gets tripped up in contracting issues, and might be better served by MS Exchange Direct Push.

In all seriousness, our large organization has decided to start pushing toward the MSFP solution. If you would like to relay feedback to Good on what factors went into the decision, I'd be happy to provide it to you offline.
  11.    #31  
    Veblen..

I would love to speak with you offline. Please PM me your contact information.
    GoodGuy,

Is Good offering any support to customers who purchase CALs and Data through thier carrier? All of our licensing has been prchased through Cingular. When I call Good support and enter my Good account number, I get a message that my support plan has run out. I have added a new device as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    GoodGuy,

Is Good offering any support to customers who purchase CALs and Data through thier carrier? All of our licensing has been prchased through Cingular. When I call Good support and enter my Good account number, I get a message that my support plan has run out. I have added a new device as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
    Ryan..

Yes, we offer support agreements. Let me know what state you are in and I can have the rep that covers it give you a call.
    Thanks for the reply. Our purchasing dept. is going to contact our rep.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post
    So I use a hosted exchange provider, (I have 2 accounts with The Message Center and 1 account with Fasthosts.co.uk).

I The Message Center monthly for GoodLink (about 9.95 per month) and then I pay an additional $45 for data on Verizon for 2 phones.

on the UK account (which is a GSM unlocked treo), I pay FastHosts for GoodLink and I pay cingular for unlimited data (I forget the price).

How does this affect me?

I would save money by using the GDP, but with a hosted solution (and not having my own Goodlink server), I really dont think I have this option..
    GoodGuy, I am still trying to get a straight answer to this.. I have spoken with Good many times, and i get a different answer each time. I have also spoken with Cingular (who sent a letter saying I was going to have my unlimited data plan automatically changed without my consent)...

what is the deal here? I am now starting to looking into blackberries instead, as it seems that with Good, everyone is looking to put their hands in my pocket..

to make this simple.. I use a hosted GL service, and I have a regular unlimited dataplan from each of my carriers (Cingualr and Verizon).. Why do I need to start paying Cingular/Verizon more money all of a sudden? what do i get now that I didnt get before that justifies giving them any more money...

again, I use a HOSTED GL solution.. I dont want to deal with CAL's, STS or any hardware or servers or software.. hence going with Hosted.. I pay the Host to provide GL.. and thats it..

can you PLEASE try to dig up a straight answer for me.. its getting REALLY frustrating.. I have to say though, the most humorous thing I heard while trying to get an answer to the above issue (from a clueless cingular phone rep) was that Cingular bought/merged with GoodLink.. obviuosly know one knows what they are talking about...
    I think you have it right when you say that it's just carrier greed. Unlike BES, GL doesn't require any carrier involvement--just a data connection. So, all you need is that--whether it be the $5.99 TMO t-zones with a proxy or Cingular's $45 GL data conenction. Any of them work. I choose the $20 TMO option (and the $20 Cingular MediaMax option since I think that using the proxy connection is cheating.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I think you have it right when you say that it's just carrier greed. Unlike BES, GL doesn't require any carrier involvement--just a data connection. So, all you need is that--whether it be the $5.99 TMO t-zones with a proxy or Cingular's $45 GL data conenction. Any of them work. I choose the $20 TMO option (and the $20 Cingular MediaMax option since I think that using the proxy connection is cheating.
    well as for Cingular, I got a notice saying Since you are using GoodLink, we are going to automatically move you to the unlimited GL plan (from the regular unlimited plan). I have not told Cingular I use goodlink, nor is cingular involved in any way with my hosted GoodLink provider. I have no idea how they know, all I know is unless I hear otherwise, I am going to have to look into other options.. like with the Microsoft Exchange Push technology.. that comes free with my 700w and I already use hosted Exchange on SP2 (and they are not looking to dip into my pockets)
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post
    well as for Cingular, I got a notice saying Since you are using GoodLink, we are going to automatically move you to the unlimited GL plan (from the regular unlimited plan). I have not told Cingular I use goodlink, nor is cingular involved in any way with my hosted GoodLink provider. I have no idea how they know, all I know is unless I hear otherwise, I am going to have to look into other options.. like with the Microsoft Exchange Push technology.. that comes free with my 700w and I already use hosted Exchange on SP2 (and they are not looking to dip into my pockets)
    Bear in mind that with Cingular, their Smartphone PDA Plan is $49.99

http://business.cingular.com/busines...ataconnect.jsp
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Bear in mind that with Cingular, their Smartphone PDA Plan is $49.99

http://business.cingular.com/busines...ataconnect.jsp
    not to make a comment.. well.. ok.. maybe to make a comment.. out of the entire post(s) regarding licensing and the changes with GL that I asked multiple times since 9/7 regarding Hosted GoodLink, this is what you choose to respond to?

Now I know you dont even need to respond, but seriously..

Yes, the PDA data plan is X, and a Treo costs Y, and so on..

The question is still no different. why do I have to pay anything [more] to the carrier to to use Goodlink, they provide me nothing more then they did before and I use a hosted provider. When I called GoodLink, they told me to tell the carrier that I use a Hosted Service and I dont need the extra whaterver they are asking me to buy, and Cingular told me "thats just the way it is"... nothing has changed for me.. the Hosted GL provider carrrier pays whatever they pay to GL, this has nothing to do with me.. dont they already pay the perpetual fee, isnt that a requirement for any CAL, I have used GL for over a year and have never had to pay "more".. I pay my hosted provider X for goodlink.. and that is it..

I have no idea how this could be so confusing..
  20.    #40  
    I have sent an email to the manager that handles hosted providers to try and get a clarifying answer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast