1.    #1  
    I have had 3 Hot sync / charging cables go bad on me. 2 of them were Palm branded ones and the other one was a Smart Phone Experts Retractable cable. The problem had progressively gotten worse until the finally the computer would not even recognize the Treo 700p. I figured the problem was the universal connector on the 700p so I took it in to the Sprint store for testing. The tech came out and told me there was nothing wrong with the unit and the problem must be my cable. I told him I had 3 cables and I did not think it was likely that all 3 had gone bad. He told me to bring them in anyways to test them. He did and all 3 were bad.

He gave me 2 new cables and all is well again. I wonder what caused this? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA,
    Karl
    Last edited by rc46; 09/08/2006 at 10:09 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    dude - 3 cables have gone bad on me as well! I thought it was just me!

RMT
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktdotorg View Post
    dude - 3 cables have gone bad on me as well! I thought it was just me!

RMT
    Glad to hear I am not the only one. Any idea what caused the failures?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    The problem could be oxidation on the cables. Another thread mentions using Radio Shack metal contact cleaner to fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I have had 3 Hot sync / charging cables go bad on me. 2 of them were Palm branded ones and the other one was a Smart Phone Experts Retractable cable. The problem had progressively gotten worse until the finally the computer would not even recognize the Treo 700p. I figured the problem was the universal connector on the 700p so I took it in to the Sprint store for testing. The tech came out and told me there was nothing wrong with the unit and the problem must be my cable. I told him I had 3 cables and I did not think it was likely that all 3 had gone bad. He told me to bring them in anyways to test them. He did and all 3 were bad.

He gave me 2 new cables and all is well again. I wonder what caused this? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA,
    Karl
    Are these the cables with the 5 groupings of connectors on them? If so, take a look at the power connector nub on the far right (as viewed from the front of the connector) and see if the leftmost contact is not flush with the top of the plastic nub like the one on the far right is. At least mine's that way and it will just barely make contact when it mates with the Treo 700P.
    This is why Palm should move away from their poorly designed connector, and adopt a standard USB one. I had countless issues with my 650 cable connection. I had to hold it at the perfect angle while it synced. Otherwise, it lost connection. Went through about 4 cables, then ended up getting the phone replaced.

I just came from a 6700 to a 700wx, and was sad to see Palm is still using that poorly designed connection. What are they thinking?