Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've seen (and participated in) a number of threads discussing Palm's Bluetooth problem (pairing problems if Bluetooth is turned off or if the headset goes out of range, both requiring a soft reset before pairing works properly). Is anyone using a Palm Bluetooth Headset? If so, are you having similar problems, or do these headsets work properly. Can you please let me know if you can turn BT off and on without messing up the pairing.
    Thanks!
    I am using a Palm Treo BT Headset, and it does not have the disconnect problem (for me) that most other headsets had.

John
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    I am using a Palm Treo BT Headset, and it does not have the disconnect problem (for me) that most other headsets had.

John
    May I know make and model?
    I have the basic Palm Treo BT Headset. I turned off the BT on the Treo and then had a hard time getting it paired again. So now I never turn off BT from the Treo.

It also takes a little bit longer that I expected to reconnect once it was out of range.

I have no problems with the sound quality and it connecting immediately once I turn the headset on.

But overall, it's works well for me and the price is right ($49) from TreoCentral. And the bonus is that it uses the same charger as the treo. So you end up with an extra charger.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have been using the basic Treo headset as well and I HATE it!!! I can use it for about two hours of casual use and then it becomes unpaired. The reception is staticy(sp?) at best and if I ever have a soft reset on the 700p, I have to repair the headset. I am sooooooooooo frustrated by it and leary of buying something else, so I have been using a wired headset.

On the plus side, when I used it on my 650 it was awesome and I like the fact that I only need one charger. I might have to give it to the wife. That might be the catalyst to purchase a different one for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I've seen (and participated in) a number of threads discussing Palm's Bluetooth problem (pairing problems if Bluetooth is turned off or if the headset goes out of range, both requiring a soft reset before pairing works properly). Is anyone using a Palm Bluetooth Headset? If so, are you having similar problems, or do these headsets work properly. Can you please let me know if you can turn BT off and on without messing up the pairing.
    Thanks!
    the Treo Ultralight Wireless Headset (AKA Plantronics Discovery 645) also works great and does not have the unpairing issue (both the Palm branded and 645). The Discovery 655 also works very well as it it essentially the same as the 645/Treo Untralight but just in a smaller form factor. I've ordered the 655 from Newegg for $75. Supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'll see if it works as well as other's have posted in the Bluetooth forum.

From what I've read, the Ultralight/645 has better audio quality over the Treo Wierless Headset and the static is absent from the Utralight/645/655 models....but you give up talk/standby time and range but gain noice cancelling, small formfactor and audio quality. From what I understand, the 655 is slightly improved over the 645 and is regarded as the best of the bunch for the 700p.
    bought the basic headset for my 650 - it was so unreliable at staying paired that I just gave up on it. Nearly same experience with the 700p - works great for a while but will un-pair at random. Sucks when you think you can rely on it, then discover it lost the pairing and you are talking to air...

I've tried several Treo 650s and 700p's (with completely different programs installed) - with 3 different Palm branded BT headsets. *All* eventually lose the pairing, and sometime they won't repair even though the process seems to succeed (you get the "ack").

It doesn't help that there's that huge honkin' button on the side that will rest (and get pressed) against your pocket if you want to cut back on the dork factor when you aren't on the phone. And anyone know what compels manufacturers to design all of these with stupid blue LEDs flashing like we want a plane to land on our heads? I got it - it's "blue" tooth... now find a way to turn the bright light off - especially when driving at night!

I only bought the Palm headset to save lugging around another wallwart, but I've given up and am back to wired or bare. Palm blew it again on bluetooth - even with their own OEM equipment!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    ...And anyone know what compels manufacturers to design all of these with stupid blue LEDs flashing like we want a plane to land on our heads? I got it - it's "blue" tooth... now find a way to turn the bright light off - especially when driving at night!...
    You can turn the flashing light on the Motorla H3 off by holding both volume buttons for 3-4 seconds. Check your owner's manual, it might be possible.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Was using the treo basic bluetooth headset since I got my 650 on VZW (when it first came out). Never a problem.

In comes the 700P, and it intermittently unpairs itself. Now, twice over the last week, it has unpaired, and refused to repair, no matter what. I have to delete the headset, re-set it with the power cable, soft reset the treo, and then re-pair it.

Major pain. If I don't do the above, it will read that it is paired, but the sound will not go to the headset.

Oh well, what do you expect for free, right???
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    I have a Verizon 650 and have been using a plantronics 640 with no pairing disconnect problems; just upgraded to the 655 and I have re-pair about every 4 power off-on; if I leave the headset on then no problems
    I have been using the palm compact wireless since my 650 days and never had a problem with my 700p ,no unpairing, no disconnects.