1.    #1  
    As the admin for GL at my current location I received an email from them today explaining they're switching pricing models.

Now, we have about 14 handhelds of various flavors and carriers (treo, nokia, HP) and the company does not provide the device, they just reimburse the user for all costs. It's up to the user to choose the device and carrier as long as its on the GL supported device list. In the past I just added the device and GL billed us accordingly. I guess they poll the server monthly for this. From what I'm reading now, someone will have to contact each users carrier to purchase a CAL? is that right?

I tried GL license support team but "due to technical problems they're unable to answer the phone", and I couldn't even leave a message. This would be a nightmare if I'm understanding this correctly. They even sent the phone numbers of all the carriers in the email.
    Last edited by treoracer; 09/07/2006 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Welcome to my world. I have @ 250 devices of all types as you do and have spoken to Good on several occassions letting them know we are "carrier agnostic" just as they are "device agnostic". Didn't do much good though...after several attempts to get info, a carrier sales rep did come visit us but never really let us know if any volume plans were available for direct sales.

Sigh....start up the circus music, I'll be making some phone calls again....
  3.    #3  
    That sucks as we also have about half a dozen on different continents. I actually got a call back after sending an email to them but when I tried calling them back I got the same system problem greeting as before. I might walk down the hall and recommend we drop GL because of this.

Here we just hand the employee the Good supported device list and send them off to shop around. They're told not to come see me until they've procured a device with a data plan and then I just add them in the console and I'm done. If this change means this process will no longer work then Good just lost a customer. Maybe it's time I took a closer look at Intellisynch.

Update: Finally got a human at Good and explained my situation and a couple of scenarios. In short, there's no need for me to change our current provisioning process. Most of the changes will effect billing the most and that auto renewal of service will no longer happen. I feel much better now. I even found out I have a Good rep., but he's on vacation this week :-)
    Last edited by treoracer; 09/07/2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: update
    So does this mean that employees who are using GoodLink devices with T-Mobile as their carrier will get shut out? (Since GoodLink has no relationship with T-Mo)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by veblen View Post
    So does this mean that employees who are using GoodLink devices with T-Mobile as their carrier will get shut out? (Since GoodLink has no relationship with T-Mo)
    One of my longest GL users is on T-Mobile and I mentioned them in my list of carriers while on the phone with Good Sales and was told "you'll be fine" in those exact words. Time will tell I guess.

My carriers are: Optus, Verizon, Cingular, F SFR, Telstra, T-Mobile
    Was wondering how long it would take for this to hit here. Let me explain, or at least try to explain, the licensing arrangement with Good.

Our previous license model was an annual subscription based model. In other words, customers would pay Good a license fee every year. A little over a year ago, we started establishing resale arrangements with various carriers. To date, we have arrangements with Cingular, Verizon and Sprint in the US, Bell in Canada and Telstra in Australia. Part of this change in our sales model was that we went from a subscription based model to a perptual Client Access License (CAL) model. In other words, a one-time cost for the license. Part of that is that users on the carriers mentioned above are to get what is known as a Good Data Plan (GDP) from their respective carrier. This GDP is in place of, not in conjunction with, their current data plan for existing users. For new users that are getting new phones, they would get the GDP from their carrier when they sign up for service.

I am sure there are a million questions here, so I will create an FAQ regarding the licensing and post it here on the forum. Please try to hold off on peppering me with questions until I get the FAQ up. After it is up, I will be more than happy to address questions. This is primarily to get all the info in one location because I am pretty confident this isn't the last I have heard of this

Thanks!
    I have posted (and stickied) the Licensing FAQ and started another thread for questions.