1.    #1  
    Question about Bluetooth on the Sprint Treo 700P.

Does the 700P support Bluetooth Dial Up Networking as the 650 did?

I don't see it on the Bluetooth Set Up Screen.
    Kyocera 6035 to Samsung I300 to Samsung I330 to Handspring Treo 600 to PalmOne Treo 650 to Palm Treo 700P to Palm Treo 700WX on Sprint
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K View Post
    Question about Bluetooth on the Sprint Treo 700P.

Does the 700P support Bluetooth Dial Up Networking as the 650 did?

I don't see it on the Bluetooth Set Up Screen.
    1) Pair the device to the laptop using the Set up new device setup assistant in the BT System Prefs
    2) Check the option at the end of the wizard to Access the Internet with your phone's data connection
    3) Leave Username and Password blank and set the Dial up number to #777
    4) If your provider is Sprint, use the Sprint PCS Vision modem scripts. If your provider is Verizon, select Verizon Support (PC 5220)
    5) Set a location in the Network prefs to dial in using the Bluetooth modem
    6) Launch Internet Connect and violĂ !

P.S. it's been said on here that sprint might be able to detect if you are using your phone as a modem this way and charge you $39.99/month. You might wanna look into PDANET for the 700P which you can still use the bluetooth to connect to a laptop.
    Last edited by hova; 09/07/2006 at 09:04 AM.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    It does indeed support it. Unlike the 650, you don't need to switch it on or off. Just pair it from your computer and then connect. It will automatically come on. When connected for dun the little bluetooth icon at the top of the phone screen changes to a little laptop icon.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Posted from a UX180P BT DUN paired 700P
  5.    #5  
    Thank you fellow treocentral members for the replys regarding bluetooth DUN!!!
    Kyocera 6035 to Samsung I300 to Samsung I330 to Handspring Treo 600 to PalmOne Treo 650 to Palm Treo 700P to Palm Treo 700WX on Sprint
  6. Pow
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    4) If your provider is Sprint, use the Sprint PCS Vision modem scripts. If your provider is Verizon, select Verizon Support (PC 5220)
    Ok, my provider is Sprint but for the life of me I can't find any Sprint modem scripts. DUN doesn't want to connect and I am wondering if my lack of a script is the problem. Ideas?

-Craig
    If you are using a Mac, for Sprint the script is called Sprint PCS Vision.
  8. Pow
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks, but any ideas for the Windows world? Unlike OSX the script doesn't appear to be as easy to find.

Also, one thing I'm curious about. I tried calling the #777 number using the phone function and then listened to the line. After a ring or two there is a message that "the feature code you've entered is not valid." Is this normal when trying to call via phone function what is listed as the DUN number?

-Craig
    What do you mean Windows, the device (700w/wx) or computer. If the computer, probably the best thing is to install the Verizon Access software. If your computer has bluetooth then it should be able to do both USB and bluetooth connections.
  10. Pow
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Windows on the PC, device is a 700p on Sprint. Bluetooth is already set up on the computer and the Treo shows up, a DUN connection was automatically created by the BT software. When I trigger the DUN connection to dial I can see that the BT link establishes but the DUN connection eventually fails. States that the remote computer is not responding. My first suspicion is that I require the Sprint script as many of the tutorials I've found mention it... of course all of them are geared to connecting a Mac to the device and not a Windows machine.

-Craig
    The Sprint script talked about is the modem driver script for Mac OS X. It has nothing to do with Windows and won't help you. Sorry, but don't have any experience with Sprint on Windows. Setting up the Verizon on Windows was pretty easy with their supplied software.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It does indeed support it. Unlike the 650, you don't need to switch it on or off. Just pair it from your computer and then connect. It will automatically come on. When connected for dun the little bluetooth icon at the top of the phone screen changes to a little laptop icon.
    I'm a little baffled here. If it "just works" then why the ton of postings in the thread "Tethered mode hack"? http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115986

Is it because because you're willing to spend $40-50 for the phone-as-a-modem option? That makes sense if you're a frequent user, but for me, I only use tethered mode infrequently on my 650 (and previously my Samsung SPH-i500, which I miss horribly; much better form factor and ergonomics). I was thinking of upgrading from the 650 to the 700p, but this whole tethered mode requires a hack or $40/month thing is keeping me from signing a 2 year plan to get a discount on a 700p.
    Get USB Modem from http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html and stop worrying about everything - It works if you have *everything right* and that's the tricky part. Not saying it's rocket science to get everything right, but USB Modem is beyond easy and removes certain limitations of the hack (like the need for an external card, etc).

Also, you can get it for only $14.95 ($9.95 if you buy it before 9/16/06!!!) if you buy it from PalmGear:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=73507

Look for the text on that page regarding the Free offer!
    On Verizon dun access is only $15 more than the normal data (unlike Sprint).
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    On Verizon dun access is only $15 more than the normal data (unlike Sprint).
    That's very misleading. First off, unlimited Internet access on Sprint is only $10-15. So they're the same, if your number is correct. What we're talking about here is the Sprint charge to allow you to use the phone as a high speed wireless modem for your notebook. On the PowerVision EVDO network supported by the 700p, that's theoretically another $40. Vs. paying $60-80 per month for a separate EVDO card.

Now, I just this moment went to the Verizon Wireless site. They did not even offer me a $15 unlimited internet plan for a PDA smartphone such as the Treo; the $15 option was only for regular phones. For a PDA/smartphone, they wanted to charge $40 more -- just for the phone itself to have Internet access!
    From what I understand, Sprint's $40 Phone as a Modem plan includes internet access on the handset and DUN usage. Verizon on the other hand, charges $45 just for handset access, and then another $15 for DUN. Even if Sprint charged $15 for handset access and $40 for DUN, it would still be $5 less than Verizon.
    Do you have a point other than mounting an an attack because someone chooses to play by the rules rather than try to get access you're not supposed to be doing?

Verizon data is $45 for the data access plus $15 for dun access. I stated that the $15 was for the dun access, not the data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by robo45h View Post
    That's very misleading. First off, unlimited Internet access on Sprint is only $10-15. So they're the same, if your number is correct. What we're talking about here is the Sprint charge to allow you to use the phone as a high speed wireless modem for your notebook. On the PowerVision EVDO network supported by the 700p, that's theoretically another $40. Vs. paying $60-80 per month for a separate EVDO card.

Now, I just this moment went to the Verizon Wireless site. They did not even offer me a $15 unlimited internet plan for a PDA smartphone such as the Treo; the $15 option was only for regular phones. For a PDA/smartphone, they wanted to charge $40 more -- just for the phone itself to have Internet access!
    Do you have a point other than mounting an an attack because someone chooses to play by the rules rather than try to get access you're not supposed to be doing?
    Just because we're paying a cheaper price on Sprint doesn't mean we're mounting an attack, nor does it mean we're not "playing by the rules."

Sprint's pricing plan is simple: I can pay $15 a month for data on the PDA only, or pay $40 a month for data on my handset AND the ability to legally use my phone as a modem, for unlimited internet access (and not the way Verizon Wireless defines "unlimited" which throws in all kinds of restrictions and imposes an unwritten limit where "excessive usage" can be terminated).

On Verizon you must pay $45 a month for data on the handset only. If you want to tether, It's $45 + $15 a month. That's $20 higher than Sprint.

I know this because I priced the plans out myself when I was deciding where to consider getting a 700P.

So no matter how you use your Treo you will always pay anywhere from $20 to $30 more a month on Verizon Wireless for the same type of data usage.

This is no attack; it's simply stating facts. I'm sorry if you feel that listing prices and pointing out where money can be saved is "mounting an attack," or cheating somehow. Verizon is not the only player in the industry. Last I checked, Sprint was a legitimate wireless carrier, and they also had the lead on EVDO coverage, to boot. Paying less for a broader network seems to be a no-brainer to me.

I'm also sorry we've pointed out that you're paying more. I guess being a Verizon fanboy doesn't always have its advantages.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 09/17/2006 at 06:57 AM.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    I'm referring to the tone of the comments that:
    1.) DUN doesn't work because you have to hack it if you don't want to pay the carriers fees.
    2.) That I lied trying to say Verizon is cheaper. I never said Verizon is cheaper, I was pointing out that Verizon's upgrade to dun access is cheaper than Sprints. I find Sprint's pricing odd in that adding dun access is double the cost of data alone.

I'm not a Verizon fanboy and I resent the comment. I'm using Verizon because I'm waiting for a UMTS Treo, find Verizon's coverage far better than Sprint, and get tired of the Sprint employees you treat customers like they are a problem rather than the ones who pay the bills.

If Sprint suits your needs fine. But hacking the Treo for dun access whether on Sprint or Verizon is technically a breach of the service contract and is morally questionable. That was what I meant by playing by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Just because we're paying a cheaper price on Sprint doesn't mean we're mounting an attack, nor does it mean we're not "playing by the rules."

Sprint's pricing plan is simple: I can pay $15 a month for data on the PDA only, or pay $40 a month for data on my handset AND the ability to legally use my phone as a modem, for unlimited internet access (and not the way Verizon Wireless defines "unlimited" which throws in all kinds of restrictions and imposes an unwritten limit where "excessive usage" can be terminated).

On Verizon you must pay $45 a month for data on the handset only. If you want to tether, It's $45 + $15 a month. That's $20 higher than Sprint.

I know this because I priced the plans out myself when I was deciding where to consider getting a 700P.

So no matter how you use your Treo you will always pay anywhere from $20 to $30 more a month on Verizon Wireless for the same type of data usage.

This is no attack; it's simply stating facts. I'm sorry if you feel that listing prices and pointing out where money can be saved is "mounting an attack," or cheating somehow. Verizon is not the only player in the industry. Last I checked, Sprint was a legitimate wireless carrier, and they also had the lead on EVDO coverage, to boot. Paying less for a broader network seems to be a no-brainer to me.

I'm also sorry we've pointed out that you're paying more. I guess being a Verizon fanboy doesn't always have its advantages.