1.    #1  
    Hi folks,
    Just got myself a D-Link Bluetooth dongle for my Mac iBook g4 OSX.3.9. Followed the setup directions for both Treo 650 (Cingular) and Mac Bluetooth Setup Assistant as found at Palm.com support pages.
    Did my first HotSync in a month, it worked. But it took probably 30+ minutes to do what usually takes 1-3 minutes tops when connected by the sync cable. I figured that it must be that I there was a lot of stuff to sync over the month of not sync'ing. Now I'm doing my second hotsync, and it's also taking forever. Do I have a setting wrong or is this just the reality of BT hotsync'ing?
    Thanks, folks,
    -- Josh
  2.    #2  
    update: ePocrates (medical program database of medications) alone took 25 minutes to sync, which shouldn't have taken very long considering that I sync'ed it only an hour ago so there shouldn't have been much to update. The rest of the Palm programs and databases are now syncing, slowly but surely. The inactivity during the sync process was sooo long with ePocrates that I nearly thought it had crashed and I nearly cancelled the hotsync. But it's not just ePocrates. I transferred a large file (2.3 mb, not that large really, no bigger than a photo, right?) to the SD card during the hotsync and that took a while, too.

What gives?
    -- Josh
    welcome to Palm Bluetooth - stick to the cable!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    welcome to Palm Bluetooth - stick to the cable!
    Only reason I spent $30 for the D-Link BT dongle was to avoid the cable. Why? The contacts never work. I have to find an alcohol swab and scrub the metal leads on the cable and scrub the insertion fitting at the bottom of the Treo 650 in order to have a 99% chance of electrical contact and sync'ing working. If I don't do that, I have about a 10% chance using the cable.

And I'm on my 3rd cable, again for the same issue of the metal contacts not working. The original and a replacement stopped working after a month each. The 3rd cable (power/sync combined cable from Accessories section of TreoCentral.com) has worked more than a year, but only if I scrub the metal contacts with alcohol.

I thought BT was going to solve a problem. Instead, I've traded one for another, huh?

-- Josh (doctor of many diabetics, never a shortage of alcohol swabs around work for pricking fingers and testing blood sugar)
    Josh - sorry man - you are working hard and not getting anywhere! I am surprised about your cable comments - maybe it is the 650, not the cable(s)? I have the S&C cable that I use daily and have no problems at all. As a matrer of fact, this is the first time I believe I have read that someone is having such a cable contact problem. Since you are on a Mac, I am not sure if we can look at the BT software stack on the computer - I know that makes a big difference on a Windows system (using the dongles sw instead of Microsoft's usually works better). Hopefully, a BT/Mac expert will chime in here.
    Syncing large things over Bluetooth is very slow.. Normal PIM sync, no installs, no backups, etc, takes about 60s.

I do all my small installs and hotsyncs over Bluetooth, otherwise I use the card reader.
    I do the Bluetooth thing on my Treos due to the convenience of not having to plug another cable in. The 700p has not seen a sync cable at all. The first sync was done via Bluetooth. Sure it is slower and occaisonally burps but it is one less cable to have to fool with and that is a plus right there.

Ben
    WOW. Been syncing w/BT for 7mos. now. I'm using a XP machine, Airnet BT doggel, and a T650. Longest sync is after a hard reset, maybe 5 min. Normal day to day sync is <60 second.

BTW paid $1.99 for my doggel plus s/h from newegg. Sorry
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have a Mac Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.4.6 I think. Bluetooth syncs are slower, but still work. I would check your conduits. sounds like that medical thing is giving you the problem. The media conduit can be very slow also.

I also had a problem with my cable. I really have to play with it to get it too work right.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Check your bt serial emulation settings on the treo and the mac. They may not be at the highest setting. The settings on the palm can be found on the hotsync screen. I don't know about the mac. If that doesn't help, it is probably a driver issue on the mac. See if you can track down the latest drivers or try another dongle from a manufacterer with better support for the mac. The bluetooth sync should not be slower than the cable. If you use other bluetooth devices on your treo, sometimes a reset will help since the treo bluetooth can get messed up with use.
    I sometimes use BT on Windows 2003 and it is slower than a cable. However, I would guess its about 2 or 3 times slower than a cable.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by funsnail View Post
    Check your bt serial emulation settings on the treo and the mac. They may not be at the highest setting. The settings on the palm can be found on the hotsync screen. I don't know about the mac. If that doesn't help, it is probably a driver issue on the mac. See if you can track down the latest drivers or try another dongle from a manufacterer with better support for the mac. The bluetooth sync should not be slower than the cable. If you use other bluetooth devices on your treo, sometimes a reset will help since the treo bluetooth can get messed up with use.
    It is unquestionably slower than the cable, however it shouldn't be as slow as described.