Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just moved to the Jax, Fl area and have a Treo 600 with Sprint and am thinking of upgrading to the 700p.

It seems that Verizon has a much better signal in this area (they own the towers). But wonder witch is the better carrior (pricewise, service etc) ??

any help would be appricated

Zig
    Well pricewise, Sprint will always beat Verizon. Sprint has lower voice plan prices, and Verizon requires that data on a PDA entails getting a $40/month data service plan for smartphones (which, as I understand, does not permit tethering unless you pay $60). On the other hand, Sprint's $15 Power Vision plan will do just fine for the 700p, and if you want to tether "legally," then you pay $40.

Coverage, however, could be a different matter depending on where you are. You're with Sprint now; is the coverage working okay for you? Do you have friends on Verizon who are getting better signal, or fewer dropped calls? If the coverage on Verizon appears to be way better, then the extra cost might be worth it to you to switch. If, on the other hand, Sprint has been working fine for you, then it might be easier to stick with them instead.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
  3.    #3  
    As I sit in my office my treo is "bonking" witch means lost signal.

Zig
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy123 View Post
    As I sit in my office my treo is "bonking" witch means lost signal.

Zig
    I feel for you...You might have to bend over and grap your ankles and take it like a man with Verizon.
    at&t iPhone3G
    i am in the same exact boat as you ziggy123, i cant decide between sprint or verizon...i love sprint's prices but i know verizon has faster internet speed...
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorifro View Post
    i love sprint's prices but i know verizon has faster internet speed...
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

Not true.

Sprint has lower prices and VZW/SPCS have the same internet speeds. Some reports claim that SPCS is even slightly faster, but they are very similar.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    how could verizon's evdo be faster than sprint's or vice versa if its almost exactly the same service.
    Just because the technology is the same does not mean they are the same speed.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes. In particular, it's been well established (on sprintusers.com, by current and former employees) that Sprint has a dedicated backhaul at each EVDO site that is for data only, with a separate backhaul for voice. This means that currently, voice traffic and data traffic are isolated from each other, and as long as there is plenty of spectrum capacity (and Sprint usually has plenty), the backhaul network can handle it all.

At many Verizon cell sites, data and voice must share the same backhaul, with voice always having priority. This means that even if there's plenty of over-the-air capacity on a Verizon EVDO site, you might not be able to USE all of that capacity if there are too may voice calls occupying the interconnect that links that site. Or, there might not even be enough capacity at the interconnect to support full EVDO speed at all, though it should still be quite a bit faster than 1x.

Sprint and Verizon also have different amounts of spectrum. Generally it's accepted that Sprint has enough spectrum capacity to handle its subscriber base, while in some metro areas, Verizon has been bidding a LOT of money to buy more licenses, indicating it does NOT always have the spectrum to meet demand. As well all know, when a CDMA network gets crowded, the quality of service degrades.

So from a technical standpoint, ti appears Sprint has the advatange as far as pure speed and capacity goes. The results are a slight, but noticeable edge in speed in Sprint's favor over Verizon.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 09/07/2006 at 09:15 AM.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    I have tested the data speeds, and they are quite similar. So I would not worry about data network speeds.

As far as voice is concerned, Sprint by far has cheaper voice plans. And if reception is an issue, with regards to those tough spots to get a signal, usually Verizon wins, in most cases. An easy way to get the best of both worlds is to subscribe to an add on service from sprint called the America Plan. This add on plan costs about $5-10.00 per month. It allows you to use half your minutes roaming (You roam on Verizon).

Best of both worlds. Cheap price on sprint, and great reception on Verizon, when you cant' get a sprint signal at no additional cost except the additional $5-10.00 per month (as long as you don't use more than half your minutes roaming).

I have been approaching the issue this way for the last 3 years. I can't get a signal in my office with the sprint 700p, so I set the phone to automatically roam. In the office I am on verizon (great signal) everywhere else, I am on sprint.

Good luck.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    sprint has live TV.. i wish verizon had that
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    I have tested the data speeds, and they are quite similar. So I would not worry about data network speeds.

As far as voice is concerned, Sprint by far has cheaper voice plans. And if reception is an issue, with regards to those tough spots to get a signal, usually Verizon wins, in most cases. An easy way to get the best of both worlds is to subscribe to an add on service from sprint called the America Plan. This add on plan costs about $5-10.00 per month. It allows you to use half your minutes roaming (You roam on Verizon).

Best of both worlds. Cheap price on sprint, and great reception on Verizon, when you cant' get a sprint signal at no additional cost except the additional $5-10.00 per month (as long as you don't use more than half your minutes roaming).

I have been approaching the issue this way for the last 3 years. I can't get a signal in my office with the sprint 700p, so I set the phone to automatically roam. In the office I am on verizon (great signal) everywhere else, I am on sprint.

Good luck.
    Well put. Roaming is also included in the great SERO plan.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    An easy way to get the best of both worlds is to subscribe to an add on service from sprint called the America Plan. This add on plan costs about $5-10.00 per month. It allows you to use half your minutes roaming (You roam on Verizon).
    Actually, the currently-available fair & flexible plans include the "America" roaming option for free. And, the restriction that only 50% of your minutes can be used for roaming has been lifted.
    The Timeline:

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy123 View Post
    Just moved to the Jax, Fl area and have a Treo 600 with Sprint and am thinking of upgrading to the 700p.

It seems that Verizon has a much better signal in this area (they own the towers). But wonder witch is the better carrior (pricewise, service etc) ??

any help would be appricated

Zig
    I live here in J-Ville and service w/Sprint is not bad. Evdo is everywhere.. No data roaming yet though..
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Actually, the currently-available fair & flexible plans include the "America" roaming option for free. And, the restriction that only 50% of your minutes can be used for roaming has been lifted.
    That's what I was told when I got the 700p and modified my plan, but I've disabled roaming for now until it's totally confirmed.
    I've been on Verizon for the past two years. Service has been fine, but it's also been fine for my friend with the Treo 700p on Sprint and we've been in the same places. She's paying $45 dollars a month, though, and I'm paying $90.

In retrospect, I would've gone to Sprint if most of my friends/family weren't on the IN network with Verizon.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes. In particular, it's been well established (on sprintusers.com, by current and former employees) that Sprint has a dedicated backhaul at each EVDO site that is for data only, with a separate backhaul for voice. This means that currently, voice traffic and data traffic are isolated from each other, and as long as there is plenty of spectrum capacity (and Sprint usually has plenty), the backhaul network can handle it all.

At many Verizon cell sites, data and voice must share the same backhaul, with voice always having priority. This means that even if there's plenty of over-the-air capacity on a Verizon EVDO site, you might not be able to USE all of that capacity if there are too may voice calls occupying the interconnect that links that site. Or, there might not even be enough capacity at the interconnect to support full EVDO speed at all, though it should still be quite a bit faster than 1x.

Sprint and Verizon also have different amounts of spectrum. Generally it's accepted that Sprint has enough spectrum capacity to handle its subscriber base, while in some metro areas, Verizon has been bidding a LOT of money to buy more licenses, indicating it does NOT always have the spectrum to meet demand. As well all know, when a CDMA network gets crowded, the quality of service degrades.

So from a technical standpoint, ti appears Sprint has the advatange as far as pure speed and capacity goes. The results are a slight, but noticeable edge in speed in Sprint's favor over Verizon.
    Also at 800mhz Sprint has to utilizes more towers via 1900mhz with Verizon which can give better data speeds at times. Verizon's network is large and sloppy, and the money from their gouging pays for trying to buy their capacity. Sprint planned EVDO before Verizon and would have rolled it out first if it wasn't for their merger with Nextel putting it on hold. Sprint built their own network from the ground up as apposed to buying existing networks and their compilation of 3 compainies calling it Verizon...hense the inconsistancy with their network technologies. That is the only reason why their network is so large and Sprints is smaller and growing. Verizon is the "OPORTUNIST" carrier to me.
    at&t iPhone3G
    All of the Sprint plans now include roaming for free if you take a look at your invoice online it will say it if you click on "view my plan"..

and as for the Sprint TV , hahaha save your money its not worth it, i only have it because its included in the $20 vision plan, wich includes the Picture mail and a few channels of TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

Not true.

Sprint has lower prices and VZW/SPCS have the same internet speeds. Some reports claim that SPCS is even slightly faster, but they are very similar.

thanks guys, these two posts made me lean more towards sprint a lot more! i can use the extra dough a month! looks like its gonna be sprint for me...now its between the P and the WX...still leaning towards the P
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    All of the Sprint plans now include roaming for free if you take a look at your invoice online it will say it if you click on "view my plan"..

and as for the Sprint TV , hahaha save your money its not worth it, i only have it because its included in the $20 vision plan, wich includes the Picture mail and a few channels of TV.
    What? Include roaming? I don't think that means roaming on Verizon...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    What? Include roaming? I don't think that means roaming on Verizon...
    Yes, when you are on Sprint and in a major market (or the fringes) and you are roaming, you are most likely roaming on Verizon's network. However, there are some smaller carriers CDMA around the country that Sprint has roaming contacts with. The other great thing about the 700p is that you can now force roaming and it is included in most plans. Just , as always, Sprint has the easiest to understand plans, which is one of the reasons I stick with them.

I just wish Sprint had as strong a signal as Verizon usually has
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast