Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone tried this yet? I'm thinking of buying a decent portable web-camera to attach to my laptop, and using my Sprint 700p with PdaNet for the high speed modem internet access. I think I also need a Yahoo account with Instant Messaging and webcam function...yes? Actually, both sides would need the same Yahoo account access, and to be logged on at the same time?? I'm new to this, and need some guidance on what to get, and what to do. Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    If you run orb on your PC, you can access the webcam from the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Anyone tried this yet? I'm thinking of buying a decent portable web-camera to attach to my laptop, and using my Sprint 700p with PdaNet for the high speed modem internet access. I think I also need a Yahoo account with Instant Messaging and webcam function...yes? Actually, both sides would need the same Yahoo account access, and to be logged on at the same time?? I'm new to this, and need some guidance on what to get, and what to do. Thanks, Casey.
    All of the latest versions of the popular IM clients (AOL, MSN, Yahoo) have video chat. They all actually work pretty much the same. For example Yahoo user1 logs on and Yahoo user 2 logs on. After that either person can initiate the video chat from the IM client. You have to read the instructions on the IM client of choices website for further instruction but i have found that they are all very simple to use.

My personal favorite Video chat client is PalTalk. www.paltalk.com It's free to use but you won't get full motion video. For a fee of i think $50 a year you get one of the best full motion video experiences I have ever seen and a huge user base to boot.

ORb can't be used for video chat.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    All of the latest versions of the popular IM clients (AOL, MSN, Yahoo) have video chat. They all actually work pretty much the same. For example Yahoo user1 logs on and Yahoo user 2 logs on. After that either person can initiate the video chat from the IM client. You have to read the instructions on the IM client of choices website for further instruction but i have found that they are all very simple to use.

My personal favorite Video chat client is PalTalk. www.paltalk.com It's free to use but you won't get full motion video. For a fee of i think $50 a year you get one of the best full motion video experiences I have ever seen and a huge user base to boot.

ORb can't be used for video chat.

Hi Drei22,

Does this mean the (free?) Yahoo IM with video chat is not full motion video either? Or is Yahoo "choppy" video because it's free, whereas PalTalk is smooth full motion video because it's $50/year?? I really don't know.

If the video is choppy, is it something like say 5 or 10 frames per second, versus the normal 30 frames per second for full motion video? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect, and what's a good alternative.

I'm doing this for the wife, who at this point is constantly buying $5.00 pre-paid phone cards at the local liquor store to call her relatives in Brazil. I'm sure we could have already bought a couple of web-cams by now for all the phone cards we've bought in the past couple years!

We're trying to figure out a better way of her contacting her family. Doing video conferencing (if that's the correct terminology) may be a cool alternative than simply buying $5 phone cards, or sending simple emails. One family member in Brazil has high speed internet and a computer. I can buy that person a web-camera to ship over there, and then we can both log onto video-conferencing between Brazil and San Francisco. Does all this sound plausible?

Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    skype....www.skype.com....thats the way to go...free and good quality for voice and video!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by camplivingston View Post
    skype....www.skype.com....thats the way to go...free and good quality for voice and video!!!
    I already have Skype installed on my laptop recently, and played around with it a bit.

I thought Skype was only for free telephone calls over the internet. I didn't know you can hook up a web-cam for video using Skype too. Was this feature recently added?

Anyone else using Skype and a web-cam? Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    added in version 2.0 go to the site and get the latest version...then get a good webcam...shouldnt cost more than 100 dollars tops,,make sure it has a built in mic as well...then have your relatives in brazil do the same...now you have free video calls as long as you both have a high speed connection...my experience is that a good strong evdo/broadband connection allows for a decent video call..however the best quality is a cable or dsl connection of course
    Just for chuckles I hooked the Sprint 700p up to my laptop (via USB) and connected to the net and tried skype (running on the laptop). It's not as clear as if I WiFi'd the call but it's pretty good (as good or slightly better than if the same friend skypes out to my cell phone number).

Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 09/06/2006 at 05:54 AM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I have an old Intel Pro webcam, which used to be one of the best webcams back in the days. However, due to lack of good WinXP support and age my video quality is kind of low with Orb. Anybody could suggest a good webcam for WinXP to use with Orb?

Thanks,

Al
    Also, is it just me or the webcam stream video on the Treo 700p looks kind of crappy with Orb in Kinoma EX or is it my old webcam?

Al
    I am using a Logitech Quickcam fusion with Orb 1.0 and a 700p. The webcam stream is about 20 seconds delayed and I can't hear sound. But the video is decent. Am I supposed to hear sound?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I am using a Logitech Quickcam fusion with Orb 1.0 and a 700p. The webcam stream is about 20 seconds delayed and I can't hear sound. But the video is decent. Am I supposed to hear sound?
    You can't hear any sound? Do you have your microphone turned on? On my old Intel PC camera Pro I can hear sound even on my Treo 700p, however, picture quality is as bad as it could get. I get a 1 by half inch video all fuzzy. However, the audio is excellent. Is this what everybody gets?

I did a some research and found the following candidate webcams:

Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 WebCam
    Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000
    Logitech Quickcam fusion

Any suggestions?

Al
    Am I missing a setting to not hear audio? Though with a 20 second delay, I wonder how useful the audio would be. Is a delay normal?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    The delay goes with the sound so voice and video are insynch. Could you tell me a bit more about the video quality? Will I get better video quality if I buy a better webcam?

Al
    The quality on my fusion was decent.

So here's what I know of it all.

So the latest versions of Skype support video chatting. Audio chats to landlines cost money, audio chats to other computer Skype users are free. This works on Mac and Windows and Mac to Windows.

Yahoo Messenger has video support, but it's super janky. You turn on video on your end, and then you invite the other person to view your webcam. That person can also turn on their webcam and invite you to watch theirs. It's video only, no audio, and is extremely choppy. This works on Mac or Windows and Mac to Windows.

MSN Messenger has video support. I'm not too familiar with it as it does NOT support video on a Mac. MSN Live Messenger, or whatever they call it nowadays, is supposed to have a huge set of features.

AOL Instant Messenger supports easy two way video. It has both audio AND video and isn't clumsy like Yahoo's video service. The video quality is decent, depending on your bandwidth. On a Mac, if you use iChat, (definitely preferred,) it has had built in video capabilities for years, and can support video chats with up to 4 people at a time, audio chats with up to 9 people at a time. Over the EVDO network I'd stick to one person at a time. This works on Mac and Windows. It supports Mac to Windows for video ONLY if the Windows user is using AOL Instant Messenger, rather than the AIM Triton Beta that they've been beta testing on their users. Triton users can video chat with each other occasionally.

Lemme lay it all down for ya!

me.
    Am I missing a setting to not hear audio? Though with a 20 second delay, I wonder how useful the audio would be. Is a delay normal?
    Gadgetfreak,

Let me help you on this since I'm getting a Logitech fusion pretty soon. How does your webcam connects its mic with the PC? Is it through the same USB cable or a separate cable? Did you enable the mic input from your sound card control panel? Let me know what version or Orb you are using and if you got it to work or need more help.

Thanks,

Al
    It is only one USB cable for the camera which has a mic on it. It is set up correctly. I get sound through it on my computer (though there have been intermittant sound problems with skype). I just checked again on the 700p. No sound.

It is only one USB cable for the camera which has a mic on it. It is set up correctly. I get sound through it on my computer (though there have been intermittant sound problems with skype). I just checked again on the 700p. No sound.
    Have you tried adding an external mic hooked up to your PC sound card? That might work too?
    Have you tried watching you webcam from a different PC? If it doesn't work either it must be your settings. Do you have orb 2.0? I do.

Al
    I have successfully installed my Logitech QuickCam Fusion with Orb 2.0 It is awesome. I get a much better video quality and the sound is still there as always. I would recommend this camara, which so far has been great.

Al
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast