1.    #1  
    On my Sprint 700p, sometimes when I press the "Web" button, I immediately get the white screen of death for several seconds, and then a soft reset.

I think I might have complained about this same problem previously, but I don't recall any solutions.

I'm thinking maybe one of my many apps might be causing this, such as FontSmoother, or MLights, or who knows what?

This problem happens maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10 when I press the Web button. Soooo annoying!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I have this issue as well - let's list all the installed programs and compare -

Karl
    www.justsayok.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    On my Sprint 700p, sometimes when I press the "Web" button, I immediately get the white screen of death for several seconds, and then a soft reset.

I think I might have complained about this same problem previously, but I don't recall any solutions.

I'm thinking maybe one of my many apps might be causing this, such as FontSmoother, or MLights, or who knows what?

This problem happens maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10 when I press the Web button. Soooo annoying!
    I had this same "affliction" and have found that when one limits ones browsing to Blazer, and sets it to clear cache on exit (or clears it manually, which I do periodically), these "crashes" can be all but eliminated. Also, it is important to note, that when one has used programs such as: On Demand, Xiino, Opera, My Treo (?) etc. and does not clear out their cache before returning to Blazer; the white screen crash (Blazer trying to deal with the cache unsuccessfully) occurs. That is the key to this thing.

However, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Opera$ $and$ $On$ $Demand$, $for$ $example$, $do$ $not$ $allow$ $one$ $to$ $clear$ $the$ $cache$ ($yes$ $one$ $can$ $go$ $in$ $with$ $a$ $file$ $manager$ $and$ $do$ $it$ $manually$ $but$ $that$ $is$ $a$ $bit$ $of$ $work$) $so$ $after$ $using$ $those$ $programs$ $for$ $a$ $while$ $I$ $just$ $do$ $a$ $soft$ $reset$ $via$ $LauncherX$ ($other$ $apps$ $can$ $do$ $this$ $as$ $well$) $if$ $I$ $intend$ $to$ $use$ $Blazer$. $Xiino$ $allows$ $it$'$s$ $cache$ $to$ $be$ $cleared$ $selectively$, $or$ $all$ $at$ $once$, $and$ $this$ $allows$ $for$ $movement$ $between$ $Xiino$ $and$ $Blazer$ $without$ $resetting$. $If$ $I$ $knew$ $how$ $to$ $save$ $pages$ $to$ $the$ $card$ $with$ $Blazer$, $I$'$m$ $sure$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $way$, $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $Xiino$ $so$ $much$. $All$ $this$ $sounds$ $like$ $more$ $trouble$ $than$ $it$ $is$. $Once$ $you$ $are$ $aware$ $of$ $what$ $is$ $going$ $on$, $it$ $becomes$ $a$ $minor$ $nuisance$, $rather$ $than$ $a$ $major$ $irritant$.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this will hold you until we get the update which will cure *everything.*
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/05/2006 at 10:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Um ok, so what is the solution here??
  5.    #5  
    Copernicus,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Clearing the cache sounds like a plausible solution.

Actually, I used to have the box checked to clear the cache automatically. That is until I realized that doing this caused a long delay when switching from Web to something else, such as Phone, etc. So lately, I've had this box unchecked, and this in turn causes other problems such as taking up MB space. Therefore, I periodically clear the cache manually every so often.

But in trying to manually clear the cache, I have to press the Web icon, and thereby get the white screen of death sometimes. Hence the catch 22 situation! There must be a better solution. Did you say there is another app that can clear the cache without going to the Web?

Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Copernicus,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Clearing the cache sounds like a plausible solution.

Actually, I used to have the box checked to clear the cache automatically. That is until I realized that doing this caused a long delay when switching from Web to something else, such as Phone, etc. So lately, I've had this box unchecked, and this in turn causes other problems such as taking up MB space. Therefore, I periodically clear the cache manually every so often.

But in trying to manually clear the cache, I have to press the Web icon, and thereby get the white screen of death sometimes. Hence the catch 22 situation! There must be a better solution. Did you say there is another app that can clear the cache without going to the Web?

Thanks, Casey.
    Casey,
    I'm not sure why you have to press Web to clear the cache, but, what I am referring to is to make sure the cache is clear before you leave Blazer (if you only use Blazer there is no need to clear cache, but you will have to wait a bit for the Treo to switch programs) and to clear the cache in the other programs before you return to Blazer. If you have been using some of those programs which create Cache *prior* to going into Blazer for any extended period, their cache must be cleared first, or Blazer will crash. Since I use Blazer all the time, for me this means resetting quite a bit. But, it really is not a big deal, since when I'm through doing tasks with cache producing apps other than Blazer, I just reset and put the Treo in my pocket letting it do it's thing. That way I'm ready for Blazer at all times (which using this system, I have once again appointed the default browser). I know it sounds convoluted but it is not so bad in practice.

As far as using a third party app to clear all the cache, I agree that this would be a better solution. However, from what I have read here, they all have problems (I may be wrong though). I can caution you against MemoryInfo which does this precisely on the 650 (it resets the 700p when one tries to clear the cache and has caused infinite reset loops on the 700p as well). UnCache also has some problems which I forget and would rather not deal with. dbCache something or other also has issues I believe. If you find something to clear the cache safely and in it's entirety, you have a much more elegant solution. Unfortunately, I have tried and been unable to find that solution for the 700p. Please post again if you find it.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/05/2006 at 11:27 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Hi Copernicus,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to be more studious in manually clearing the cache each and every time I exit out of Blazer when finished with the web. You know how it goes, we all get lazy, and want to immediately exit out of the Web app to get to our Phone app to make a quick call for a lunch takeout! Sometimes clearing the cache takes a good long 20 seconds or so to clear up to 2.0 MB of junk! 20 seconds of waiting is like.....................................eternity!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any programs that reliably clears the cache, other than Blazer's function.

In the meantime, I will have to remember to clear the cache every time. Maybe tying a string around my stylus or finger might remind me to not forget? -Casey
    Casey
    It's a good work around and relieves you of the "white screen of death" stress. You just make the habit and wait for the fix. Plus, you stabilize one more (not so small) thing.
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
    If I am in MAIL (the one that came with the Palm) and I then try to go into BLAZER... I get this same Soft Reset problem.

Granted... I have a large number of stored e-mails. But still, my available memory is still more than half the overall capacity.

Thanks,