Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was still within the 30 days on my latest Treo 700P and could not resist the 700WX, so I converted. Now I am pretty platform agnostic, I have been with palm since the beginning and I have been with Windows CE/WM from the beginning of that. I find this phone to be sooo much quicker than the 700P, it was definatley an upgrade as far as I am concerned. They ended up fixing everything I hated about WM, like being able to dial without the stylus, using the same ringtones avalable to the phone ringer for SMS.

Sorry to leave the Palm side, but I will undoubdely be back once a Treo debuts with the Access Linux Platform. I am really stoked for that, until then this thing kicks ****!
    bit_bucket
    Why do you apologize? It's your perogative. Enjoy your new phone.

Sam
    Do you mind telling me your positives & negatives on it? Compared to 700p, also? Don't get me wrong I LOVE my 700p, but wx is looking fine...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I've been trying a 700wx the past couple of days. There isn't too much to say other than one is Palm OS and one is WM5. The 700wx is EXACTLY like the 700w but with more application memory, a Modemlink application (which is USB only, doesn't work with bluetooth), and a USB switch application.

The screen isn't as good. It is lower res, although to be honest it doesn't hurt it as much as it sounds (since in most apps Palm OS is really formatted for 160x160 but just using smoother looking edges). What isn't as good is that the screen is slightly dimmer and slightly yellower than the 700p. By itself it's not so bad but it's obvious side by side.

It does multi-task very well. Where I notice this most is in using the internet. Going bad a page or switching to another app and back is much faster than on the 700p. In general I've have to say the OS functions are better on the 700wx, but the apps are much better on the 700p.

I have to wait until I see what reception is like at work tomorrow. But I doubt I will give up my 700p. One final note is that the build quality is slightly better than my 700p (from June). Less squeaks on the buttons and feels just a tiny bit more solid.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Having had a pocket pc in the past and having seen more modern WM5 phones recently I can't really say that WM5 would by itself create a huge leap in usability or productivity. There are pluses and minuses here and there. WM5 on an adequately powerful device will allow very easy and troublefree multitasking and app switching... Palm OS is very strong as far as having fast and simple applications (especially the basic PIM and phone applications which is what really matters for productivity anyway).

My only cause for concern is the fact that Palm itself has now been putting a lot of emphasis on WM5 as the premier OS for its new phones. That combined with some of the performance issues of Palm OS on the 700p (and the continued lack of support or updates regarding these issues), as well as Palm's recently dismissive attitude towards Access, is starting to give me the sense that Palm OS may end up being phased out much more quickly than I originally thought (given the Linux based successor has no set release date in sight). Already I'm noticing that when it comes to third party apps it seems that most of the stuff for Palm OS is from 2 - 3 years ago, and that recent efforts seem to have slowed down a bit. I remember that with WM there also seemed to be few applications out a couple of years ago, however with all of the new emphasis being put on the OS this seems to be picking up a bit.

At this point, unless I see a very good update for the 700p I may start to look more seriously at paying full retail to switch to the 700wx once my 6 month SERO no-switching-of-phones period is over (by which time the wx's prices should have come down a bit too). Simply because the lack of variety as far as current and functional Palm OS apps go is starting to bug me a bit.
    Though I like the WX, I am sticking with my P. I will not convert unless forced to via the probable demise of POS. I am hoping Palm can stay in the game for the future somehow.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Do you mind telling me your positives & negatives on it? Compared to 700p, also? Don't get me wrong I LOVE my 700p, but wx is looking fine...
    Pro's
    - The big difference I can see right off that bat with the wx is the speed and responsivness, app's really do open faster.
    - I also love that they really integrated the home screen with the phone very well, the dialing app pretty much rocks because it allows you to type either a number or name and attempts to find it in your addressbook. If you are typing a number that is not there, it uses that.
    - Fit is a little better in one minor little way (dont laugh), on the wx they included the foam patch in the battery compartment to stop the creaking. This was somthing they did on the Treo's of yesteryear and I hoped they would bring that back.
    - I really love the built in voice comand, even if I cant use it with a bluetooth headset, until I hack the registry.
    - Ability to use palms wifi sd card with all the drivers built in.
    - Ability to run the slingbox software
    - More stable
    - Logical button layout
    - Push email out of the box

Con's
    - Activesync. While this is a Pro and a Con, it drives me crazy, they need to polish it a bit to stop the errors with unresolved sync events.
    - No little vibrate confirmation when I flip the silent switch to silent. I loved this feature on the 700p
    - Screen not as bright or high of a resolution (Isn't really that noticable side by side)
    - No bluetooth DUN that I can tell, perhaps it is posible, just have not tried too much yet.

Overall I am very happy with the always easy to use keyboard that I have enjoyed with my past 600, 650, 700p. I just believe the wx is quite a polished product, most bugs have been shaken out.
    bit_bucket
    Let us know how you like it.

In my case I just think its not worth the effort to relearn everything again. Not to mention having to try out all the applications and pick the one I like.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Let us know how you like it.

In my case I just think its not worth the effort to relearn everything again. Not to mention having to try out all the applications and pick the one I like.
    Will do. In my case since I have been both a longtime POS and WM user, it was old hat.
    bit_bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_bucket View Post
    Will do. In my case since I have been both a longtime POS and WM user, it was old hat.
    Word of advice from a 6700 user: Just because it looks good on day one or even week three doesn't mean you'll love it tow months from now. I was sold on WM after a few days and two months later I was sick of the 6700 and searching eBay for a 650...

Hopefully most of the issues were 6700-specific and not WM-related.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    "- Fit is a little better in one minor little way (dont laugh), on the wx they included the foam patch in the battery compartment to stop the creaking. This was somthing they did on the Treo's of yesteryear and I hoped they would bring that back."

Funny you said that, I have been looking for the right size piece of foam to stick to the back of the battery cover on my 650 for just that reason!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Word of advice from a 6700 user: Just because it looks good on day one or even week three doesn't mean you'll love it tow months from now. I was sold on WM after a few days and two months later I was sick of the 6700 and searching eBay for a 650...

The 6700 for me was awful, I used it 4 hours and returned it a few months ago! I could not stand flipping the screen, etc. My hand actually became badly cramped in that short time typing on that keyboard. It's very hard coming from a Treo to a 6700. I have friends who have the 6700 and they love it and can't understand my disdain for it. I'll sacrifice the larger screen anyday for ease of use!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Absolutely, not now anyway...
    This is going to sound funny but for these apps only, I can't see ditching my 700p for the WM....

Agendus
    Chatter
    Butler

All of these apps work awesome for me and I can't seem to get the equivilent on the Windows OS.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    This is going to sound funny but for these apps only, I can't see ditching my 700p for the WM....

Agendus
    Chatter
    Butler

All of these apps work awesome for me and I can't seem to get the equivilent on the Windows OS.
    I've been to the dark side and back. I have my own list of apps and gripes about WM that, while they may appear minor, are important to me. Over time, the lack of these apps will became more evident, and I personally was drawn back to the Palm OS.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'd consider switching because I really want to use the new tomtom GPS solution, but I think I can't because I already have a Parrot Blue Tooth kit installed in my car and the 700P won't let you use both...but the 700wx will...is that right??? I'm confused.
    Yes same here....went to WM but came back to Palm for the software
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post

Advice taken, Did I mention that I had 3 PPC6700's and hated the problems right off the bat. Lets just say that every single PDA phone that sprint has had in the last 5 years I have owned, with the exception of the G1000. So I am no novice at this game, and have standards that are sometimes impossible to meet. So far even with the minor bugs I am finding, the experience using this phone in a business environment has been a breath of fresh air, I dare say it is the best of all of the PDA phones I have ever owned, and this goes for all of the Symbian GSM phones I have owned. Palm took all of the things I hated about WM Smartphones and improved it to the point that I think they were almost reading my mind when they created this. As you can guess, every time a new phone comes out my wife gets preemptively pissed!
    bit_bucket
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Profiles AND Callfilter only work on the 600 up to the 650, right? In that case, the only forseeable upgrade I'm gonna do is from my ailing 600, to the 650. Unless anyone knows if CF and Profiles work with the 700p?
    Profiles does work on the 700p. I have not tried CallFilter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast