1.    #1  
    Hello!
    Is there any way I can fix the treo 600 which I can't hear the caller unless I use the headset or speaker phone? This might have been discussed elsewhere but I can't find the thread...
    Thanks for your instruction...
    air
    The speaker connects to the main board with two little contacts that just rub against the board. If any schmutz got in the case or it was dropped, the contacts might not be touching.
    ^yes this is most probably the case. Search for 'battery replacement' in this forum for instructions on how to open your treo. It's easy to find the earpiece speaker contacts - just bend them out a little. I recently did this to my old but trusty 600. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    OK, I just took it apart - wasn't as difficult as I thought, but was kinda freaky without being able to turn the treo 'off'...

However, I was scared on how far to push back the contacts on the speaker w/out breaking them. I just put it back together and no different, so I might try again.

How do I know if I need to just replace the speaker or if its more serious than that?
    ^if you're sure its making contact and it still doesn't work, then it is probably a dead speaker. You can get a new one online for about $20.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Got any links? I didn't see any listed at pdaparts.com. Its gotta be the speaker - I just took it apart again (that's really a snap when you've done it once - no pun intended) and no dice.
    Found it at PerformancePDA.com for $14.99 shipped. We'll see if that fixes it in a few days. Hope folks around me don't mind me using my speakerphone for the next few days...
    Success! That did it! Popped in the new speaker, and while it didn't work while it was partially dis-assembled, which gave me a bad feeling, once I screwed everything together, it worked great. Nice to save a $400 (when bought) device with a $15 speaker so I don't have to spend $500 on a new 700p until i'm ready.

Performance PDA was great with shipping and emails as well.
    Good for you. My son has my 600 now so I've done a lot of repairs to keep it working like new. The vibrator seems to be the next part that will fail - vibrates weakly. He's still happy with it.
    Hmm, Vibrator is ok so far. I don't use it much, so I may not have noticed. (If I leave it on vibrate, then I can't hear it when I call it to find it when i've left it somewhere in the house... )

It sounds like you think you'll be able to replace the vibrator, so that's a good sign...

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 700p (Sprint from T-mobile now) in the next few months (unless I get an iPhone), but I want to hold onto my GSM Treo 600 for taking to Israel when we plan to stay there for a couple months and get a low-cost SIM card for internet access.