Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking about giving Business Connection a try and had some question I was hoping you could help with because I can't find anything on Sprints website:

1) I will be using this service with my 700P with the Powervision plan. What is the monthly cost for person edition?

2) I am assuming that all email is push and that changes to my inbox will sync with my desktop PC outlook, correct? If so, can I see Outlook subfolders?

3) Will Outlook always need to be running on my desktop, or just the Buisness Con software? Can multiple Buis connection users (3 or 4) run on one "always on" desktop?

4) I see two other icons in the Buisness Connect icon - one for "Contacts" and one for "calander". Does this mean that you no longer use the default Palm Contacts and Calander - are there separate ones for buis connect?

5) How much does Business Connection cost? I have a power vision plan on my 700p

6) Why doesn't Sprint post any of this on their website!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
    Last edited by mariog7; 09/04/2006 at 09:34 AM.
  2.    #2  
    So I tried calling Sprint this morning in attempt at getting my questions answered. They transferred me to 8 reps and nobody even knew what Buisness Connection was. Sprint - your customer service could'nt suck more!
    I will attempt to answer all of these questions, since I currently use Srpint BC Personal edition...

Quote Originally Posted by mariog7 View Post
    1) I will be using this service with my 700P with the Powervision plan. What is the monthly cost for person edition?
    For personal edition there is no charge above and beyond what you pay for Vision. So if you pay $15 a month for vision, BC Personal edition is no extra charge.

2) I am assuming that all email is push and that changes to my inbox will sync with my desktop PC outlook, correct? If so, can I see Outlook subfolders?
    It is push email. I havent been able to view my sub folders though, I dont think it has that functionality, unless the folders are all top level and not nested like I do mine.

3) Will Outlook always need to be running on my desktop, or just the Buisness Con software? Can multiple Buis connection users (3 or 4) run on one "always on" desktop?
    Outlook will not need to be always on, it all works through a little program that runs in the background on your PC. And yes multiple users can use one central PC through PC connection sharing. That is what I do. I have a laptop with BC set up and a dummy PC sitting in the office that takes the connection requests when my laptop is not on the network. Everything works great except when on the dummy PC, I obviously cant access documents from my laptop remotly.

4) I see two other icons in the Buisness Connect icon - one for "Contacts" and one for "calander". Does this mean that you no longer use the default Palm Contacts and Calander - are there separate ones for buis connect?
    You still have all the default apps. The contacts app is a search based conduit into your outlook address book, you corperate GAL and your local palm address book. The Calendar is your Exchange calendar. Here is where my OCD kicks in. The calendar is redundant and so is contacts search of local palm address book and your exchange address book since you most likely sync Outlook already, so that is redundant. It would be a major improvment if BC would only offer GAL, local palm Address lookup and the calendar should be done away with and just integrated into the existing palm calendar.

So the way I am using it, I get my email pushed and smart sync the data based on battery (option on palm client), I use my existing local calendar for most everything, when I get a meeting request, I can look at the BC calendar to see if anything is there at that date and accept and decline accordingly. That way at least my Exchange Calendar is most up to date, and I dont get double booked for meetings. Then when I am in the office, I sync with outlook to update my local Palm Calendar.

Hope this helps...
    bit_bucket
    bit - "no charge"?? How long have you been using it? I called aout it a few months ago and was quoted $15. Maybe that was because I currently have free Vision. However, as mariog7 said, very few reps seem to know much about it!
  5.    #5  
    Thank you very much for your detailed response!

So if I do not need to access anything from my desktop (I just need email), do I still need to have a PC always turned on?
    if you want to use BC then yes you do.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    my biggest question is does BC integrate with my treo calandar, contacts etc? does it do more like a PIM sync, or does it just simply run another app that has all of that info?
  8.    #8  
    Good quesiton. I wish there was somewhere we could go to learn more about Buisness Connection. Sprint website is useless.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I don't think BizConn Personal is free. I'm paying $15/month for it.

To answe BigKenny's question: All of the contact, calendar and email stuff is in the BizConn app. It does not integrate with your Palm Address Book, Calendar or Versamail. At first I didn't like this, but it's kinda nice having a separate app. I can then use my personal hosted Exchange account to sync everything else for my personal stuff. The very cool thing about BizConn is you can search your company's entire GAL. It's awesome!

I've been using this since I got my 700p when it came out, so if there are any more questions, shoot...

Joe
    Good quesiton. I wish there was somewhere we could go to learn more about Buisness Connection. Sprint website is useless.
    you think the website is useless, talk to someone in the store or on the phone about it! i have tried several times, i have NEVER recieved ANY usefull information.

thanks quake for the answers. i guess the best thing to do is just get it and see if it is worth paying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    bit - "no charge"?? How long have you been using it? I called aout it a few months ago and was quoted $15. Maybe that was because I currently have free Vision. However, as mariog7 said, very few reps seem to know much about it!
    I have had it off and on a couple of years with different smartphones and have never had any chargefor the personal edition.

It may be free for me since I am a business customer and get a hefty discount. Who knows...
    bit_bucket
  12.    #12  
    Loud and clear, Kenny. I did try calling them today and they were nothing but useless. They transferred me 8 TIMES and my wife told me to stop getting pissed off and give it a rest... That's why I decided to post. Can you belive it - not a person at Sprint knows about their products. How frustrating!
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    So I tried calling Sprint this morning in attempt at getting my questions answered. They transferred me to 8 reps and nobody even knew what Buisness Connection was. Sprint - your customer service could'nt suck more!
    Have you seen this?

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse...res_13b08b.pdf

Business Connection is included with Vision Professional, but is billed separately with any of the Power Vision offerings except one. A little unknown Power Vision offering called "Power Vision Communication Pack". While this offering does include Business Connection it does not include any of the Sprint TV options.
    I have been using Biz Connect for about 2 years and like it with 2 exceptions. Number1 (no task list / memo support) and Number 2 - at times on my 700p I cannot send emails, they are stored in my Outlook account (at work) in the outbox.

I have also tried "Nokia's" Intellisync Mobile Suite. This actually does integrate with your calendar, tasks etc. Provides push email and yes supports the GAL! Runs on a PC at work. The only downside is COST
    It will set you back $130.00! But that is the only fee, no on going. Yes you still would need Power Vision (Basic @ 15 bucks).

Currently I am using Good, I like it but it's a memory PIG.

Hope this helps.
  15.    #15  
    Interesting! Does Intellisync also allow you to sync with Subfolders?
    Interesting! Does Intellisync also allow you to sync with Subfolders?
    Good question, I will investigate and update later today.
    I can answer most of your questions about Sprint Business Connection. I've used it for about 6 years on a regular phone WAP browser, Samsung I330, I500, Treo 650 and Treo700p. I also have contacts within Seven (the company that makes it) that I might be able to use to get additional answers/help. I'm using it with Exchange 2003, so it may act differently with other email systems. I also have an additional POP acct set up with Yahoo.

I think whether you are charged for Business Connection, depends on when you started using it, and the type of vision plan you are on. I think a lot of plans charge between $5-15/month extra for BC. You have to ask Sprint or sign up for it and see how much they charge you. The plan I'm on is a business plan from a long time ago that included BC.

There are two types of BC. One is corporate version that is run on a corporate exchange server. An IT dept would have to set that up. I don't know anything about this version. The personal version is the one that most people use. It has some software that runs on a desktop PC. The desktop software connects to Exchange thru MAPI and to the BC server.

The desktop software syncs all the top level email folders in your Exchange mailbox. It doesn't sync any personal folders. It also syncs your calendar in your top level mailbox. Finally, it can provide access to a file share on the desktop PC. Also, it has access to your outlook contacts and Exchange global email list.

Here is some of the funky stuff:
    There are a few different types of clients for BC. There is a web client. The web client can access all the email folders, Calendar and File share. You can use the Web client from some WAP enabled phones. It is kind of slow using the web client from a phone.

There is a palm OS client. It only has access to your top level (non-personal) inbox. It doesn't access any other email folders. It also has access to your calender thru a proprietary Calendar database. So it is completely separate from the Palm Calendar. I use both calendars. If you use both, you need to turn off alerts in one, otherwise you get 2 alarts. You can map your email and Calendar buttons on your Treo to the two functions in BC. When sending emails, you can access your Palm Contact list, your outlook contact list, or your corporate global Exchange contact list. It's a little faster with the Palm contact list since that's local.

The email client supports push email, timed (different settings for weekdays or weekends), or smart sync where it will sync more or less depending on how much battery power you have. I use Push email alone, or timed if I want to save battery power.

Speaking of syncing... The current version uses background SMS messages to let it know when to sync when using Push email. Users on Sprint aren't charged for these like normal SMS messages. The reason I mention this, is that this can help debug things. If push isn't working, check and make sure you can receive any text messages. If not, then push won't work. You probably need to contact Sprint to have them fix your account so text messaging is working. Not sure if this is still an issue but it happened in the past. Also, sometimes if you are using push and just uninstall the BC software, you will get funky/garbled SMS messages coming to your phone. It's always a good idea to turn off Push email sync, before uninstalling the BC software.

There is a PocketPC client. I haven't tried it. A friend of mine used to use it.

There is a java client for some phones. I haven't tried this either.

The Palm Client also lets you connect to 2 additional POP email accounts. I currently have one set up with Yahoo. I have used it with Comcast in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandee2004 View Post
    I have been using Biz Connect for about 2 years and like it with 2 exceptions. Number1 (no task list / memo support) and Number 2 - at times on my 700p I cannot send emails, they are stored in my Outlook account (at work) in the outbox.
    Mogulman - do you by any chance know why sometimes sent emails are stored in the Outlook outbox and NOT being sent out? I have the same problem and actually it is more often then not that I can not send emails as they are stuck in the outbox ...
    Quote Originally Posted by brichter21 View Post
    Mogulman - do you by any chance know why sometimes sent emails are stored in the Outlook outbox and NOT being sent out? I have the same problem and actually it is more often then not that I can not send emails as they are stuck in the outbox ...
    I never have this problem. Makre sure the PC that has the BC desktop software is not using a Cached connectioned to the Exchange Server.

If you open up outlook on this machine... Go to Tools/Email Accounts..
    View or Change existing email accounts->Next

Pick your Account from the list and click Change.

Make sure "Use Cached Exchange Mode" is unchecked.

This is the most likely cause.

Does this happen when using the web interface?
    Last edited by mogulman; 09/05/2006 at 11:47 AM.
  20.    #20  
    On the phone with the 9TH CONSECUTIVE REP to try to find my price on Buis Connection, and nobody knows! They don't even know what Business connection is or does!

Sprint, you suck!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast