1.    #1  
    I can move and tilt my Treo 700P (on Sprint) and it really affects the speed of my EVDO connection. Noticeable in a poor reception area (if it's great you don't notice it so much). This is my second phone with similar results so I'm guessing it's the same for all.

I'd love to pop this thing open and add an external antenna. Or something to clip on or....

Obviously, it'd be a hassle to connect for normal use, but when trapped in a hotel or conference or the in-laws it'd be great to surf at high speed for a extended time. If I knew I could surf at the highest speeds all the time I'd be tempted to dump my high speed net at home.

Any thoughts,
    Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    I'd love to pop this thing open and add an external antenna. Or something to clip on or....
    Before you go popping anything open you might want to examine the large rubber (removable) grommet on the back of the phone.
    Right. I bought this antenna
    http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...roducts_id=153
    (actually the one for the 650, which is the same) which comes with a cable that plugs into that jack, and it gives me an extra bar or so of signal. It's useful in marginal signal areas, less so in areas with better signal.

Don
  4.    #4  
    I wasn't going to pop it open without specific instructions. I just notice I can jump from 250 down to 500 down just by moving it around and I'd like the 500 consistently

If I hold it up high in my hand (ala statue of liberty) I can jump to high 600 and low 700 in my house.

Anyone else try this on their 700p yet?

The reviews looks promising, I'm tmeped to cough up the $70 dollars...

It says "Improves signal strength for 1xRTT (NationalAccess)", is that the EVDO signal?

Thanks Dr. Grace!

Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 09/04/2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
  5.    #5  
    PS - the moving around doesn't seem to help the upload speed as much (a little but not the 2x or 3x the speeds) as I can get with the downloading when moving it around.

Gary
    1XRTT is the old protocol. EVDO is the faster, newer one. The antenna helps both by making the phone more sensitive for weak signals.
    Generally speaking the performance of wireless data communications over RF seems to be very sensitive to orientation when the signal quality is anything less than perfect. I've noticed this to a less but still significant degree with Wifi devices. Unfortunately since there is a tendency to be much more mobile with a Treo than with a laptop this creates problems more often.
    EVDO is much more sensitive in this way than 1xRTT in weak signal areas. It will show up to 3-4 bars of signal, but the data connection may be very weak, even lock up (as it does at my parent's house). I get better results there by disabling EVDO and going 1xRTT.

At my home, I get full strength signal. But I live near a college football stadium. On game days, performance is degraded somewhat, but it really gets degraded at the stadium (although full strength). For example, you might be streaming 24kbit audio and it will break up constantly, but move 10 feet to the left and it streams normally for awhile. The cells seem to work on a highly focused area, even though you're receiving a full-strength signal.

The good news is that I have never had a phone call blocked on Sprint due to huge crowds in a stadium (20,000 people).

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!