Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here are my thoughts:
    - Chatter: You need to install the most recent beta, because Marc keeps fixing bugs all the time.
    - Causerie: This one can be problematic too. So you might need to check on betas.
    - Quicknews: I had a problem with the auto-updates disabling my SD card so check for new betas and uncheck the auto-updates on startup.

There are lots of apps that can affect your Treo if you don't find out what and why. So you could probably be a long time user, but not a good troubleshooter when it comes to Treos.

Al
    I'm not a troll or a fanboy. I'm a doctor that relies on my treo for prescribing meds... And for that task, it's a lot slower than the 650. Also, Agendus Pro is a lot slower at loading up and switching between views. The 700p is SLOW in spite of those saying, "If you think 700p is slow, you haven't used a PDA phone before." Take a 650 and 700p side-by-side, load up the same apps, and switch between them. The 650 is snappy. (No smart *** comments like, the 650 has less memory or slower web speeds. I'm talking about using apps on the actual device!)
    Slowness.. This is a known issue I thought? There have been several threads regarding this issue.. So why is it always being brought up..? Yes a patch/update is needed which they are probably working on. Just sick of all this wawawawawawawa... People if it doesn't work for you get something else.. As simple as that.!
    Folks! This is typical of a Smartphone. And this isnt'a defense, this is fact. A Smartphone does lots of things that discreet devices do, only a smartphone will never perform those tasks anywhere near as well as the discreet device. basically, you have a jack of all trades, and a master of none.

You must either cope, or avoid getting a smartphone. That's all there is to it. Some people are okay with this, or are patient enough to tweak their apps and configurations to make everything work right. others simply expect a Smartphone to be their personal nirvana of mobile prection, and that's just not possible.

The other option is to go with a Blackberry. of course then you must pay the RIM -prescribed monthly fee, and are beholden to that software. Bluetooth will also be limited, there won't eba camera (yet), no expandable memory, no chatter, no VersaMail or Snappermail....
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    I personally own a 600, a 650, and a 700p. All were active on Sprint' s network (until I recently retired the 600). "Out of the box" all seemed "usably fast" with some differences. Loading the few apps I use seemed to cause no noticable differences between the machines that didn't exist beforehand (but, I don't load/keep any 3rd party apps that I don't use at least monthly).

Each machine has its idiosyncrasies. I personally don't care much for the way the 700p hangs up calls (but it's something I can live with). The EVDO on the 700p compensates for a lot of these issues (e.g., there is no way I'd trade my 700p back for a 650 or 600).

The only truly confounding problems I've had is getting consistent DUN over BT and USB to my Mac. But those have been resolved via workarounds discovered elsewhere in these 700p forums.

Clearly there is need for a firmware update. But even until that occurs, you're not going to pry this 700p (or 650) from my cold dead hands (or those of my wife's).

Tried the 700w. POS. Took 2-3 times the number of actions to accomplish the same thing on the 700p. Usually requires stylus where the 5-way is all that's needed on the 700p. So, even though some may think the Palm OS is dated, IMHO, it beats the (more modern?) Windows option hands down.

As someone pointed out in this thread, there have been a number of defective 700p's reported. Indeed, I was amazed when Sprint offered to send me a new 700p to resolve my DUN problem (which was totally unnecessary). If you are a sophisticated user, as your posts imply, I suggest you get a replacement. You may indeed have a defective 700p. Otherwise, you (and us) are all on the bleeding edge, espeically when using a Mac since Sprint and Verizon both claim they officially don't support the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Here are some of my comments:
    3) I don't agree with the "slow" comment. If you think 700p is slow, you haven't used a PDA phone before.
    You've obviously never used a 650. Big speed differences between the 650 and the 700p since the 700p has a database access bug that Palm has yet to fix.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I use isync with OSX 10.4.7 with ical, adress book etc., it works great with my 700p...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Hotsync with the isync Conduit works great with my 700p. I used to use Missing Sync and loved the program but I did not want to pay for an upgrade so I went back to the stock Palm Desktop. No complaints here at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain View Post
    Clearly there is need for a firmware update. But even until that occurs, you're not going to pry this 700p (or 650) from my cold dead hands (or those of my wife's).
    I keep a pretty tight grip on mine too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    You've obviously never used a 650. Big speed differences between the 650 and the 700p since the 700p has a database access bug that Palm has yet to fix.
    Funny I just sold my 650 that I used since Apr 2005. What database/program you are talking about?

There is one thing my 650 does faster than the 700p that I wish Palm fix. When I press the phone button on m 650, I can press it immediatedly to bring up the last 10 calls list. You have to wait two seconds on the 700p. And you can't go into the contacts right away either.

Phone app in general in slower, but Blazer rendering in general is faster. It's weird but I think 700p "act" and feel more like a multitasking OS than 650. And 600 can switch progarm even faster.

Also why does 700p reboot slower than the 650?
    Last edited by whatever7; 09/02/2006 at 08:04 PM.
    Database access bug. Search for it. The 700p will be slower than the 650 until that's fixed and until there's a ROM tool to strip the garbage out of the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47 View Post
    wow. ok, I've had my treo 700p since it first came out. I thought maybe it was me, maybe my standards are getting higher in my old age. Maybe I ask too much of a $700 device.

But no. It's not me. I am justified in this:

The Treo700p is the worst phone I've ever had.

This thing has gone BACK in time. Both my girlfriend and I experience a host of INEXCUSABLE problems:

- soft resets are triggered by data connections and bluetooth pairing
    - completely unreliable bluetooth DUN (yes, with PAM plan)
    - slow slow slow slow slow slow
    - phone answers WAY too easily. I've been involved in dozens of calls I never meant to answer
    - SMS failure rate is ridiculously high. moreover, it reports failed messages even though they actually go through. It sends double and TRIPLE messages to recipient without the sender knowing
    - doesn't respond quickly to power on button
    - ending calls doesn't always END THEM!! Must press end twice???
    - slow to attach to network, yet still tries to initiate vision connection, locking the phone into a paradoxical situation
    - oh, and even with The Missing Sync, **** poor Mac syncing

I am so very disappointed in Palm. They've had YEARS to get this phone right. I owned a Treo 600 until this spring when I upped to the 700p. I honestly am offended by them even distributing this product, much less SELLING IT FOR $700. It's simply not ready.

I like the IDEA of the 700p, but the reality is nightmarish.

I don't want Windows Mobile
    Is there another qwerty smartphone I can look into.

Palm has failed. Big time.

If you are looking to buy a 700p, don't. if you must, wait till NEXT spring.

The phone has improved after the latest update from "On Demand"
    my phone is less sluggish now! Much more useable now!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    The phone has improved after the latest update from "On Demand"
    my phone is less sluggish now! Much more useable now!
    I don't use OD and since I couldn't dump it completely from ROM, I dumped all the extensions and it saved me a good amount of space and my 700 was substantially snapier.
    at&t iPhone3G
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    As for the phone answering a call in your pocket or gf's purse, just use the keygaurd. That's what its for. Or try another type of case for it. As for the other problems... I'm on my first 700 and my only. No problems. Knock on wood...
    yeah we both use keyguard too. keyguard helps prevent false OUTBound calls but not inbound. I think it's that new, unnecessary green button left of the nav key. that green button takes up too much space and does too little good
    - ag47
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Here are my thoughts:
    - Chatter: You need to install the most recent beta, because Marc keeps fixing bugs all the time.
    - Causerie: This one can be problematic too. So you might need to check on betas.
    - Quicknews: I had a problem with the auto-updates disabling my SD card so check for new betas and uncheck the auto-updates on startup.

There are lots of apps that can affect your Treo if you don't find out what and why. So you could probably be a long time user, but not a good troubleshooter when it comes to Treos.

Al
    i check chatter for betas DAILY fyi
    causerie. will do. thanks!
    quicknews is on manual update only.

the only data app on auto pilot is chatter and then only sometimes
    - ag47
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Folks! This is typical of a Smartphone. And this isnt'a defense, this is fact. A Smartphone does lots of things that discreet devices do, only a smartphone will never perform those tasks anywhere near as well as the discreet device. basically, you have a jack of all trades, and a master of none.

You must either cope, or avoid getting a smartphone. That's all there is to it. Some people are okay with this, or are patient enough to tweak their apps and configurations to make everything work right. others simply expect a Smartphone to be their personal nirvana of mobile prection, and that's just not possible.

The other option is to go with a Blackberry. of course then you must pay the RIM -prescribed monthly fee, and are beholden to that software. Bluetooth will also be limited, there won't eba camera (yet), no expandable memory, no chatter, no VersaMail or Snappermail....
    i don't think you understand, based on your comments. i'm not asking for nirvana. i'm asking for $700 worth of competence that should be due from a device that's an UPGRADE to prior successful devices. the treo has existed for a while. the 700p has been in development for years, I assume.

I haven't just landed on the smartphone planet, and neither has palm. the 700p seems to be worse in some ways, and I cannot be satisfied with that. I don't expect perfection. Competence, however, is a bare minimum.

I posted my original piece out of frustration and a theory (based on the TWENTY FIVE PERCENT RETURN RATE) that others were experiencing similar problems.
    - ag47
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    Hotsync with the isync Conduit works great with my 700p. I used to use Missing Sync and loved the program but I did not want to pay for an upgrade so I went back to the stock Palm Desktop. No complaints here at all.
    that's great news! I will give it a try. I was using TMS with my 600 as well, so just assumed it was preferred over iSync
    - ag47
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Wow...so the trolls are making their own threads now instead of trolling others, huh?

Seriously though. I have a 700p, both my mom and my dad (novice users) have 700p's, and my gf (a power user like myself) has a 700p. NONE of us have these issues you described. In fact, the phones are more stable than the 650's they replaced.
    Merle - I've worked with at least 10 Treo 700p's over the past couple months, and if you are telling me that *none* of the 700p's that your family uses experience at least slowness... then you must live under the miracle tree or never use the Web application. You'd have a tough time finding anyone on this board with a 700p that doesn't notice this issue, and you're saying that the 4 you know of never have this issue? Maybe you never use the "Web" application (the icon looks like a blue globe if you and the others haven't seen or tried it)?

Get serious. I don't consider myself a troll for pointing out or agreeing with legitimate problems with (or benefits of) a device.

If it weren't for "trolls" like us, you + the P's and the GF would be using monochrome PDA phones the size of Coke cans with about 2MB of RAM with the only microphone on a plug-in headset and a battery life measured in minutes. Palm may take years to get the message and fix their continuing dumb decisions - but in the long run they'd be out of business years ago if we hadn't coddled them along, bought their devices and worked around their stupidity regardless.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    well, if you don't like it, then switch to something else.

I've bee using Treos since the beginning, and have probably criticized them harder than anyone on TC.

But the Treo 700p is the best thus far. Why?

- Resets rarely, compared to the 650 and 600, which reset often.

- If you delete the Versamail pc3 and pc4 files, it runs fast (search TC on this). True, Palm has a problem, but this is easy fix)

- Better Bluetooth (although in general, BT is sucky).

So, while I understand the comments, I disagree. If you can find a better device, buy it (and tell us).
    The 700p certainly isn't a POS (unless you mean Palm OS) but it does have something that slows it down, probably this data access bug, and it's bluetooth could easily be better. But the other small improvements and EVDO in general make it better than the 650 in general in my opinion.

For those who say they don't see any problems, then you are lucky. But out of the box the data access is slow. Open the favorites and in the phone app and there is definite lag when it first opens. Many third party app also cause problems. Developers are coming out with new releases to fix this, but I don't think they are really doing anything wrong there is something in the 700p that Palm needs to fix. I've seen myself one of my favorite apps that flew on a TX and 650 but caused huge lags on the 700p. The developer has made some changes to fix this, but either there's a bug in the 700p or Palm isn't communicating to developers a necessary change for apps on the 700p.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast