Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i am about to go from palm t/x to a 700p. i've always used datebk by pimilico ...does this work on treos? if not, do people just use the reg. datebook provided by palm or is there a great one like datebk5?

bean
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ I've been using DateBk6 for quite some time now on my T650 and before that, DateBk5.

So, to answer your question, you shouldn't have any trouble loading DateBk5 or DateBk6 on your 700p as the operating system on the T650 and T700p are almost identical.

Also, you may want to check out the T700p compatibility list thread in the Treo 700p forum
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Datebk5 / 6 is very stable on my 650. Long time user of Datebk. First app I loaded a year ago on my Treo and not a lick of problems.

It may even feel like a new app for you because the 5way integration is very well thought out. You might start doing tasks in different ways but it just shows you how awesome an app Datebk is.
  4.    #4  
    thanks to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    i am about to go from palm t/x to a 700p. i've always used datebk by pimilico ...does this work on treos? if not, do people just use the reg. datebook provided by palm or is there a great one like datebk5?

bean
    I use DateBk5 on the Treo 700p and it works fine. There is a fine point in that you might want to lock the app using Resco Lock or similar as occasionally the alarms seem to cause a reset. Someone mentioned this, I locked it, and never got a reset again.

Good Luck with the 700p!
    For both my Treo 650 and Treo 700p, I had to change to DateBook 5 version 5.4a. I think I had to pay again for this update, if I recall correctly. The previous DateBook (don't remember which) version didn't work right with these 2 units. I've never tried DateBook 6 yet. I don't even use 1/2 the stuff DateBook 5 offers, so I'm guessing DateBook 6 is even more bloated, but I'm just guessing.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I had to change to DateBook 5 version 5.4a. I think I had to pay again for this update, if I recall correctly.
    That's strange, as a registered DateBk5 user I was able to upgrade to DateBk6 for free, and I don't recall there being an upgrade price for a minor version of DateBk5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I had to change to DateBook 5 version 5.4a. I think I had to pay again for this update, if I recall correctly.
    Maybe the registration information was lost on your DateBk5 install? You should not have needed to pay for an incremental upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    That's strange, as a registered DateBk5 user I was able to upgrade to DateBk6 for free, and I don't recall there being an upgrade price for a minor version of DateBk5.
    I thin the upgrade from DateBk5 to DateBk6 was free if you purchased DateBk5 within a certain period within the release of DateBk6. For longtime DateBk5 users there was an upgrade fee.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    good timing that I saw this thread. I've been considering datebk6 and agendus and can't quite decide which one to go with. ideally i'd like the one that takes up the least amount of space. any thoughts (and i realize this is like asking whether someone prefers an audi or a bmw) on which one allows you to get the job done without taking up too much memory?
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    AKAIK, Datebk5/6 uses less memory, but I'll let others chime in. Also, check out the comparison below if you're on the fence.

http://tech.hernandez5.net/html/datebook_wars.html
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I've tried both and I ended up going with DateBk5/6 because it not only had a smaller footprint, but it did EXACTLY what I was looking for without the extra "fluff" (like being able to attach a picture to a task.)

The things I like about DateBk6 are:
    1) Being able to see tasks and calendar items in the same day view (very clean and uncluttered)
    2) Color coding and setting icons for entire calendar categories
    3) Better alarm management and time-zone support
    4) Very stable
    Last edited by spiVeyx; 09/07/2006 at 10:30 AM.
    DateBk5 (Pimilico) upgrades you severaI times without charging, and has a reputation of putting out software which is quite stable.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/07/2006 at 12:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    good info guys - thanks - and thanks for that link dw!
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    The upgrade was free because of the purchase date. For those of us who have been using it for longer periods of time, since 2002 for me, there was a charge, one that I paid without hesitation, though it was frankly an unnecessary upgrade.

Like most I do not use Datebook 5/6 to its fullest extent and never will. It does though do exactly what I want and its support is unequaled. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post

Thanks for the link to the upgrade for version 6. I just now submitted my request to see if I'm qualified for the upgrade, but won't know the answer until 24-48 hours, per the automated reply.

According to my records, I've been using Datebook since version 2.1 going back a good several years on more than a few different Palm handheld units.

I do seem to recall paying an upgrade fee somewhere in between, but don't remember exactly. I could be wrong.

The best feature I like in DateBook is the "Float" feature. I use the Float feature habitually! After all, why do something today that you can float til tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day after that...or the following week..............on and on! I do like finally being able to check the circle to make the float stop, and it gives me a sense of satisfaction that I finally finished that darn item!
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    AKAIK, Datebk5/6 uses less memory, but I'll let others chime in. Also, check out the comparison below if you're on the fence.

http://tech.hernandez5.net/html/datebook_wars.html
    I've said this before and he took the words right out of my mouth (with my permission) :

Datebk5/6 is the best calendaring program out there and Agendus is the best contact manager program.

It's unfair to compare them without that distinction - and I can say that because I've got registered copies of both (DB6 and V11.03 of Agendus).
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    It's unfair to compare them without that distinction -
    Talk to the guy who compared them then. I'm just showing the link to help people make up their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    and I can say that because I've got registered copies of both (DB6 and V11.03 of Agendus).
    Congratulations.
    Good news. I qualified for the free upgrade for DateBk version 6. The new password I got works just fine!
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Good news. I qualified for the free upgrade for DateBk version 6. The new password I got works just fine!
    Any really big changes that you like, I'm still on V.5x?
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Any really big changes that you like, I'm still on V.5x?
    Overall, some nice cosmetic changes, plus added functionality. I'm not about to read their 75,000 page manual, so I'm just going by first impressions.

An immediate observation is that the current day's box is highlighted in red color (eg: MTWTFSS). This makes for a nice touch in quickly knowing which day you're on.

When pressing the "DET" button, there is some noticeable added functionality included in this screen.

There is a new "T" (Today?) view, which looks really cool.

I like the fact that I didn't have to delete version 5 first. Version 6 simply installed right over version 5, and the new 6 version kept all my existing preferences too! Very nice!

I can't say that version 6 is life changing, but now that I have it, I'm glad I installed it. This was one of those things on my list of things to do!

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I haven't explored everything yet. I'll just learn as I go along!
    Casey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast