1.    #1  
    i just got a 700p, from VZW, i dont want to spend the cash for the data plans, would love to have wireless connection, but i dont believe i can do it at all with the 700p can i?

what programs do you guys use that do NOT require data? i dont have bluetooth, but i have the usb connection to transfer over.

i would prefer them to be free, but i see that mringer isnt.

i know of....
    VolumeCarePro
    LauncherX
    Butler

other than that, i am not sure what else i may need, and i would like a description of the program, in the other threads, things were just listed, and i have no idea what they do, nor if they require data or not.
    Why would you bother with a Treo if you aren't going to use the data? That's kind of like getting a car and not using the engine. Sure the seats and stereo are nice...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    Why would you bother with a Treo if you aren't going to use the data? That's kind of like getting a car and not using the engine. Sure the seats and stereo are nice...
    im using it for the pda functions, i would love to use wireless, but i believe i would have to get the xv6700. i love the pda function, the qwerty setup, etc. its quite useful, and i love the way it has been for the past 3 days... however, im not sure if it is exactly what i want, i just want to try and get it setup... i can not justify the extra $500 a year in order to browse the internet, and talk to ppl via im.

also, is the only way to get mp3's onto it with an expansion card installed?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Why would one possibly waste a perfectly good 700p without a data plan...I'll never get it...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Most PalmOS programs in Palmgear.com don't use data.

Verizon let you get a Treo without the data plan?
    yes, there is not a requirement for data with any phone.

For programs, that is really a personal choice. just keep reading here and on other sites to figure out what you want/need. Also, read the manual on how to get MP3's into the Treo - it is easy. I would suggest a good backup program and an uninstaller too.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    In theory its easy - just stay away from programs that update their content wirelessly. I can't think of any programs that "sneakily" access the web for noncritical content. Just think of the Treo as a Lifedrive or Tungsten.

The far bigger issue for me would be knowiing that I COULD access my email, or check movie times, or save the $1.50 by using DA instead of calling 411 for information and having the fortitude to NOT TOUCH THAT DATA connection.
    Yesterday my girlfriend asked me - as we were driving - to check the ferry schedule to confirm that it was leaving at 3:45 and not 3:15.

Imagine....

DON'T TOUCH THAT DATA CONNECTION..."Gee honey I could check...but...but...."
    "nourdmrolnmt1, have you SEEN that proposal from Schmidt yet? I can't believe he had the audacity to..."

DON'T TOUCH THAT DATA CONNECTION. NO! DON'T DO IT!
    Imagine - you are sitting at the ballpark. A light rain is falling. You could check the weather radar to see where the front is to see if heavier rain or clearing is on the way.

DON'T DO IT! DON'T TOUCH THAT DATA CONNECTION. NOOOOOoooooo!
    ln response to the OP, I think TakePHone for its advanced search function, history, and many other improvements over the built-in phone application is worth considering.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    There are a lot of people who can't afford, or choose not to spend the extra money for data. Some people spend a lot of time in their homes and offices with internet connections, and to spend $500 per year just so they can be connected for the half an hour or hour that they are away from the home or office is an unneeded expense. I support the original posters question and wonder why people need to insult a person for their choice.
    As to non data programs, there are a few battery savers, like TreoAlarm (that shuts off phone at a preset time), KBlight (that turns off the keyboard) and Noah (which is a dictionary and thesaurus).
    Its not meant to insult the person's choice, its a reflection of the difficulty in owning a device that is data-enabled and not using the data. Its alot like having all the channels on cable TV accessible, and being charged an exorbanent fee IF you decide to watch something on HBO without paying for it in advance. With Verizon, if you use data without a plan you PAY THROUGH THE NOSE, so much so you will wish you had a data plan the first time you cross the line. This topic has been covered many times in these forums and there is no chorus of nondata users that chime in saying "I never use data and I save a fortune". Its almost always "I thought I could get by without a data plan and got SCREWED".

I think you can find alot of theoretical support for the original poster's supposition, but not alot of practical feedback from people who are successful in NOT using the data aspect of their Treo.
    Try these:

Agendus Pro
    FileMaker mobile
    2dial
    TealAuto
    SplashID
    SplashShopper
    SplashPhoto
    Fonts4OS5
    PalmFiction
    CallRec
    CityID