1.    #1  
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...tec8gbsdhc.asp

Pretec 8GB SD card coming out!!

No wonder the 4GB SD card prices have been dropping lately.

Anyone know if the 700p will recognize an 8GB card?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    SDHC card....not compatible with 700p or 99.9999% of all currently available SD based devices.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    My understanding is the 8gig will only work in devices that support SDHD. There is a different file system being used on the cards allowing them to go as large as 32gig.

Won't work on current Palms/Treo's but might in future devices.

Kyle
    I have heard that there are limitation in the POS file system (besides the FAT32) that precludes using volumes >4 GB.

Surur
    Interesting as I just purchased that Dane 4Gb SD card TODAY!!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I have heard that there are limitation in the POS file system (besides the FAT32) that precludes using volumes >4 GB.

Surur
    I don't think this will work on the 700p or wx or 750v or any HTC device for that matter. At least according to Sandisk's SDHC page.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have come to the conclusion that the Treo's screen is too small for portable video. The Wizard/Apache screen is passable, but the PSP one is ideal.

At 8GB, the card is more expensive than the video player, I think I will get a PSP first.

BTW all DSLR makers (Nikon Canon, Pentax) has said current DSLR can read SDHD cards after new firmware flash. I don't see why the Treo can't read it after a firmware flash.

I still won't buy them (8GB+ cards) though. I just had 2 SD card failed on me. I have to send back the 4GB A-Data for warrenty replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the Treo's screen is too small for portable video. The Wizard/Apache screen is passable, but the PSP one is ideal.

At 8GB, the card is more expensive than the video player, I think I will get a PSP first.

BTW all DSLR makers (Nikon Canon, Pentax) has said current DSLR can read SDHD cards after new firmware flash. I don't see why the Treo can't read it after a firmware flash.

I still won't buy them (8GB+ cards) though. I just had 2 SD card failed on me. I have to send back the 4GB A-Data for warrenty replacement.
    Good to hear about the possibility of a firmware upgrade. Doesn't guarantee a thing from Palm, however.

As for price, 4GB cards were selling for this price less than a year ago.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I have a Casio EX-Z850 (purchased in June) and Casio just released a major firmware update that not only vastly improved the HQ MPEG video mode at 640*480 but also added SDHC support. No word on card size limits but I figure a fast 4gb SDHC card will be plenty for my needs. I have a feeling Palm will remain mum on SDHC compatability for the time being and see how well its early adoption phase goes. I mean, the LD/TX/700P/700W are all FAT32-compliant and should work with nearly all 4gb SD cards. I think's Palm OS' filesystem cannot see a single volume larger than 4gb....that may be why we haven't seen an 8gb LifeDrive II .
    Does anyone know if ANY of the 8 GB cards will work with the Treo, or will they ALL be the SDHC type cards. If so, I ain't waitin' any longer and will buy a 4GB card.
    All 8GB and up cards will be SDHC.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Look what i found:

http://swik.net/sdhc

Monday, September 11, 2006
    SDHC-enabling firmware updates for Pentax, Casio cameras

Filed under: Digital Cameras, Peripherals
    If you're still rocking a digital camera older than the recently unveiled Nikon D80 or lineup of Canons, for instance, the lack of SDHC support may have you a bit down on your luck. Apparently Casio and Pentax aren't wasting any time in making sure their customers are kept happy, as both companies have released firmware updates for a few popular shooters that sport SD slots. Pentax Japan is hooking up the *ist DL, *ist DL2, *ist DS, *ist DS2, and K100D (K110D to soon follow) with SDHC support, while Casio is upping the ante on its EX-S500, EX-Z600, and EX-Z850. So if you happen to own one of these select models, and you can't resist the urge to drop some coin on those pricey (albeit spacious and speedy) SDHC cards, be sure to do your duty and treat that digicam to its respective upgrade first. While these may be the first few cameras in which SD 2.0 support is granted retroactively, we don't imagine the list will stop here -- so, dear camera manufacturers, what's the holdup anyway?

Read - Pentax Firmware Updates
    Read - Casio EX-S500 Firmware Update
    Read - Casio EX-Z600 Firmware Update
    Read - Casio EX-Z850 Firmware Update
    Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

User:anushshetty: engadget
    User:anushshetty Casio firmware Pentax SD SDHC updates … Sep 11

so mabye they will be able to update the 700p with a firm ware update!! Although i called palm and the rep said that the reason the 700p could not support 4gb cards was due to the processor being to weak... Is this true? If anyone knows if a firmware update is possible, please let me know, I am thinking about getting a treo, but if the current one is having trouble reading 4gb cards and i new might be coming relatively soon that can read sdhc, i think ill hold of getting a treo, until then.
    Those cameras getting the firmware update already had hardware that supports SDHC, it just wasn't enabled. The new firmware will enable the SDHC support.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    It looks like the people with 680's can use 8GB SD cards.