1.    #1  
    Like almost everyone, I've been singing TCPMP's praises for a long time. Now suddenly a problem has arisen. When in GUI mode (with the player controls at the bottom of the screen), I have no video, only a white screen. The progress bar still moves, and I have audio. If I go to full screen mode, everything, audio and video, works fine. If I go back to GUI mode, the last frame displayed in full screen mode is frozen, but the audio continues.

I've tried many different file types, launching from internal memory or SD card, installing a maximal or minimal set of TCPMP plugins, with the Palm default launcher or LauncherX, different versions of TCPMP (0.66 to 0.71) , checked and unchecked every TCPMP preference (especially the GUI video preferences), reset the 650 about 100 times, nothing changes the problem a bit.

I can't think of any program I've installed or changed lately that would have any effect on video. And why would it work in full screen mode but not GUI mode?

Any suggestions?
  2. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Delete all of the prefs for TCPMP?
  3.    #3  
    I tried deleting and re-installing TCPMP several times. The TCPMP application itself and the plugins are all of creator type "TPLY" and according to FileZ there are no other files with that creator type in either main memory or the SD card. In the "Unsaved Preferences" file in main memory there are two TPLY records (TPLY #2 and TPLY #100) in the "Resource List" as reported by FileZ. These disappear when I un-install TCPMP. But even with a clean install, my problem returns.
    Do a full backup and hard reset, installing nothing but TCPMP. I agree with gw1, sounds like corrupted prefs.

Also, even though you said you used multiple formats - make sure the file you're trying to play isn't corrupt or something that TCPMP supports poorly.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions.

These are all movie files that I've played many times in the past on this exact same Treo with TCPMP with no problems. And every file does exactly the same thing, no matter what its format is. And they all play fine in full screen mode. And the sound plays fine in either GUI or full screen mode. So I don't think the movie files are at fault.

I don't think its a corrupt TCPMP preference either, since (as far as I can tell) I've completely eliminated TCPMP, soft reset and restored TCPMP and all its plugins and preferences multiple times with zero change in behavior.

I suspect it's a conflict with some other application that accesses screen resources in the background - but which one? I haven't added any new apps lately. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar. I couldn't find anything like this on TreoCentral or the TCPMP board. Maybe I'm the "pioneer" - lucky me!

I presume that the hard reset thing would solve the problem. I'm trying to avoid that pain, though with BackUpBuddy VFS I usually have no problems restoring everything after a hard reset.
    May I just suggest checking something else?

If you can see the TCPMP pref button when running the application (it's located on the bottom right corner), then double check the settings of TCPMP settings itself. Specifically, the Video section. You might have accidentally switched to null mode. Or one of the video settings such as brightness or contrast and the color settings might be set so incorrect that you are getting the white screen. I just tested playing around with those settings and I was able to get something similiar to you problem.

Hope this was something different to try that what I agree was the first thought.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

7.    #7  
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that just to see what would happen. Of course, in "Null" or "Disabled" mode, there is no video in either GUI or full-screen mode (what's the difference?). In "Standard" mode (the only other option), I get perfect video in full-screen mode, but only a white screen in GUI mode. And I played with the Brig/Cont/Sat/RGB controls, again no video in GUI mode. Still no joy...
    Last edited by bobodobo; 09/01/2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that just to see what would happen. Of course, in "Null" or "Disabled" mode, there is no video in either GUI or full-screen mode (what's the difference?). In "Standard" mode (the only other option), I get perfect video in full-screen mode, but only a white screen in GUI mode. And I played with the Brig/Cont/Sat/RGB controls, again no video in GUI mode. Still no joy...
    Hi bobodobo, I use TCPMP every now and then, guess what, when I ran it yesterday I got the same problem as you.

I've tried re-installing it, but nothing helps.

I've just worked out that you and I have one thing in common, Garmin GPS-10

I only put it on this week, I wonder if that's where the problem is ?

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Further to the above, I tried a Warm Reset and TCPMP worked 100%.

So it's something that is being loaded after a reset, and I can only think it's the GPS 10 software.
    Thought of the day :
  10.    #10  
    Very interesting observation!

I've done a zillion warm resets, no joy for me. But (1) finally someone else reports the same problem, makes me feel like I'm not crazy... and (2) in fact the problem did appear at about the time I installed the Garmin Que software.

Since my Que software is working perfectly, I'm dis-inclined to uninstall/reinstall it to see if that's the problem. The TCPMP issue is a small irritant, I can live with it. BUT - when the Mobile XT for Palm software comes out (supposely by Nov.) I'll definitely try uninstalling Que and see if that changes anything before installing Mobile XT. Que does do a lot of screen manipulating, maybe something is semi-incompatible with TCPMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Further to the above, I tried a Warm Reset and TCPMP worked 100%.

So it's something that is being loaded after a reset, and I can only think it's the GPS 10 software.
    Don't worry you are not going crazy

Just to clarify, if I do a Warm Reset and then try TCPMP while in this Warm state it works 100%.

Once I then do a normal Reset the problem returns.

I also do not want to un-install to test my theory, but I can do the next best with UnCache. I'll give it a try and report back.

PS make sure you are in a real Warm Reset, sometimes it does not go into a Warm one even though you press the Up key

BTW I don't get email notification of posts to threads I have "subscribed" to, anyone else getting this problem ?
    Thought of the day :
  12.    #12  
    Hi ChasT,

You're 100% right! Actually I didn't know the difference between a Soft and Warm reset, but now I think I do. (Warm reset is sort of like "safe mode," I guess, no hacks or background tasks installed?) I had been doing the usual soft resets, not warm resets.

Anyway, now I see what the problem is, but it doesn't help in that I need to do the soft reset to get my background tasks running. Oh well, I can live with the minor inconvenience of TCPMP not working in GUI mode. Much more important to have GPS running properly...
    I have tracked it down to the QueSetup module.

It's only 20kb, but it actually drives the whole thing. Remove it and the main modules will crash all the time. In actual fact QueSetup takes about 2mb of dbcache out of the system, even if you don't run the GPS after a reset.

If you only use the GPS occasionally, move QueSetup to your card and do a reset and then TCPMP will work OK. Then when you want the GPS move it back to RAM and run it. Very easy with PowerRun

BTW I used UnCache to trouble shoot the problem, it is a nice little app once you understand what it does

I wonder if Mobile XT 10 will have got around this problem when it comes out
    Thought of the day :
  14.    #14  
    You are absolutely right, ChasT! Everything you said applies to my system also. Actually I use Que more than TCPMP, so I'll live with the problem and hope that Mobile XT doesn't have the same problem...