Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I, like many others, have noticed random, but rapid drain on the battery for VZ treo 700p. Here is what I have noticed: occasionally, but not every time, when chatteremail pushes my email, the orange data light will remain lit until I click on the "new email" icon on the phone app page. Then the light goes out and the data connection stops. I notice when I do not click it and it stays lit, my battery drops about 10% an hour. If I click it, it disconnects and everything is fine. I emailed Marc and hopefully he will have an idea how to solve this. What is weird is that it is very intermittent. Sometimes a day will go by and it will not hang on at all, the next day, it does it everytime. Weird. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I noticed it too... oddly enough, how I get the orange light back to blinking green is to start to call my voicemail... as soon as it dials, the orange light goes off....
    My Verizon Treo 600 did the same thing and I did not use Chatter mail. I had the Wireless sync for a while but stopped use and still the same symptom. I don't know that I had any worst battery drain however since that Treo can stay in standby for weeks vs about 30Hrs of my 700p (BT off).
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I dont use the app you are talking about but still the battery is saying its dying faster than normal (650) But I swear its misconfigured....

My battery will say its low and needs to be charged but I get a REALLY good amount of time out of it the whole time its saying this. I look at and I say you should be dead!

Just curious if you guys let the thing go and see that it lasts longer than it says.

Just a thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I dont use the app you are talking about but still the battery is saying its dying faster than normal (650) But I swear its misconfigured....

My battery will say its low and needs to be charged but I get a REALLY good amount of time out of it the whole time its saying this. I look at and I say you should be dead!

Just curious if you guys let the thing go and see that it lasts longer than it says.

Just a thought!
    The battery meter isn't accurate sometimes. I'd know it was fully charged and then I take it out of the charger and it reads 88%. I do a soft reset and the battery meter is back to full.

Weird. But probably software related.

Sam
    what i've notice is that whenever I do a soft reset, in most cases my battert power increases 4-7% .
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Good point on soft reset. When the Treo gets to a drain point of being able to almost watch that thing go down, a soft reset cures it for some days.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i have noticed when my battery meter indicates a low reading, when i recharge it takes only a short time to regain full strength, as opposed to if i recharge when it is 70-80% and then it seems to take a much longer time. perhaps this is a meter issue. one other point, when the meter reads 99%, to get to 100% seems to take forever.
    i think its because the treo charger sux....and the spot where u plug it into sucks as well....i would put my treo to charge at night wake up in the morning and it would only have charged 10% more than before...the red light would still be on signifying charge is still taking place....it sucks...then that lead to my battery meter reporting false information
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel View Post
    i think its because the treo charger sux....and the spot where u plug it into sucks as well....i would put my treo to charge at night wake up in the morning and it would only have charged 10% more than before...the red light would still be on signifying charge is still taking place....it sucks...then that lead to my battery meter reporting false information
    You should get that looked at. That is certainly not normal. I can go from 50-100 pct on less than 2 hrs charge.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    so i had my treo 700p configured to check my school email and my gmail every 30 mins. i noticed that whenever i checked the screen on the treo, about 90% of the time, data was going through. and i was usually down to about 20% battery when i went to sleep each night. somehting was wrong. i tried manually getting my gmail and it took a long time, and tried to download about 70 emails when only about 3 or 4 were new. however, gmail was working fine before, so i decided to make gmail manual sync. this was 2 days ago and now my batter seems to be about 4x as good, havent charged for about 48 hours and only down to like 45%. much happier, just sucks i have to manually sync mail.
    Just thought i'd add something to this thread. About a week or so after getting my 700p I noticed that I could go 3 days without charging it while doing normal usage. However, for the last few weeks, I couldn't keep the battery from dropping below 50% by the time I went to bed each night.

Then, yesterday morning I decided to clean up verichat. I had installed it to play around with it, but decided not to register it, so I hadn't fired it up in about 3 weeks. After doing a delete, a soft reboot, and a final cleanup of the extra databases... I'm back to getting the battery life I was getting before, if not more.

I'd tried doing soft reboots before to see if it cleared something up (I had suspected pTunes was staying active in the background or something). But, it seems that verichat was the culprate. Don't know if it only occured after it reached the end of its trial period, or if it was always there, but thought I'd pass it along.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I noticed that ever since I got chatter... that my battery drains wayyyy faster...
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I, like many others, have noticed random, but rapid drain on the battery for VZ treo 700p. Here is what I have noticed: occasionally, but not every time, when chatteremail pushes my email, the orange data light will remain lit until I click on the "new email" icon on the phone app page. Then the light goes out and the data connection stops. I notice when I do not click it and it stays lit, my battery drops about 10% an hour. If I click it, it disconnects and everything is fine. I emailed Marc and hopefully he will have an idea how to solve this. What is weird is that it is very intermittent. Sometimes a day will go by and it will not hang on at all, the next day, it does it everytime. Weird. Thoughts?
    I've noticed the same periodic data connection and battery drain issue with my new VWZ 700p. However, I don't have a chattermail or any other apps (knowingly) configured to perform a periodic network poll. I'm wondering if the built-in browser is doing this, or perhaps Wireless Sync, which I never started.

There has to be some way to view a data/network connection log that shows which app is doing the polling, but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone know of such a tool?

In the mean time, I use "NetConnect DA" to manually disconnect from the data network. (This worked great on my Kyocera 6035 and 7135!) I also found "RunDA" which creates apps from DAs, thus allowing them to be easily launched without a special DA laucher such as McPhling.

Reagrds,
    Ian
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My guess is the charger -- with all this nonsense, I'm thinking about just speaking to a rep.

Best,

Wing
    BoxWave Treo Accessories!
    Last edited by BoxWave; 10/04/2006 at 04:52 PM.
    I don't think that there is a battery "problem" with the 700p, just a battery "reality". If you use your Treo like a cellphone, making only occasional use of the PDA functions and the data aspect, then battery life will be more like a traditional cellphone. If you are a power user, or you sit at a bar or on a plane and keep the screen active, using data functions virtually nonstop for a couple of hours the battery will drain like a glass of spilled milk.
    Good points Keefer.

I had the same problems as the other posters and have gotten the problems down to a reasonable minimum doing a few things. My symptoms were:

1) Battery draining almost hyper fast (can't quantify exactly, but my business partner has same phone and his will last all day while mine would last for 6 hours, plus or minus.

2) Phone calls were going to voice mail often - instantly, inferring a data connection transaction.

I have chatter 2.0.x and I have it set to check 4 imap accounts. One important, the other 3 are busy accounts that aren't that important.

Solution:
    1) Leave important account as is
    2) Set other mail accounts to be offline and sync only every 2 hours.

Voila. I am now seeing only the need to charge the phone at bedtime, which for me is perfect.

My business partner jokes that sometimes I use the treo 650 like I would a gameboy - and sure, I see greater drain while surfing or playing a game while burning slack time - but that's where the car charger comes into play.

Hope it helps someone.
    -WC-
    I agree that there are lots of ways for the battery to legitimately drain, but I think that something weird happens now and then. For example, most nights I have the 700p unplugged with the phone off on a table to use as a wakeup alarm. I fully charge it before putting it on the table.

Some mornings its at 95%+. But some mornings, it's at 75%. Like this morning, it wasn't on but it drained 1/4 of the battery overnight. I've also noticed on days that happens, that it's really laggy until I reset it.

It's been fine for days, but it's really bad today. Nothing added or deleted but it seems to be having a Palm OS spasm day today. I wish I could solve this, it's the one thing on the 700p that drives me crazy.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I can confirm the unexplained rapid drain problem as well. I frequently leave my Treo 700p unplugged overnight. One time, about a month ago, I checked it in the morning and it was completely non-responsive. I had to plug it in to power for a few seconds before even the power button would respond. Once it did, I saw the power level was at 0%, where the night before it was around 80%. ##377# indicated a crash in “BtDunMgrLib”. No help from Palm support although I haven't seen it happen again since.

-dave
    Now that's interesting because I've seen that error also. I would expect that from a crash using bluetooth dun. Although I do use bluetooth dun now and then, I've never had it crash while using the feature.

I leave my bluetooth on all the time, do you? I've thought many times that the bluetooth tends to be pretty flakey, I wonder if it's getting stuck on by itself during the night causing the drain?

Quote Originally Posted by eatheror View Post
    I can confirm the unexplained rapid drain problem as well. I frequently leave my Treo 700p unplugged overnight. One time, about a month ago, I checked it in the morning and it was completely non-responsive. I had to plug it in to power for a few seconds before even the power button would respond. Once it did, I saw the power level was at 0%, where the night before it was around 80%. ##377# indicated a crash in “BtDunMgrLib”. No help from Palm support although I haven't seen it happen again since.

-dave
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast