1.    #1  
    I have trouble getting a consistent bt connection with my garmin gps x receiver.

The gps x autopowers on when the vehicle is started. I am about 99% sure it is functioning before I attempt to turn on the garmin que software.

Sometimes I get a connection - no problem and then others - nothing and then I need to delete the gps x from bluetooth devices and then add it again.

I should say that this occurs after shutting down the vehicle, running an errand and returning to the vehicle and restarting. I have tried various ways of closing out of the program, from just powering off to disconnecting from the gps receiver and closing the program.

Could this be the same problem that others experience with the bt headsets?

It is very frustrating.

Took it into the Sprint store and they looked at me like I was from another planet and said "call Palm as that is a software issue and we don't support Treo 700p software problems".

remltr
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr View Post
    I have trouble getting a consistent bt connection with my garmin gps x receiver.

The gps x autopowers on when the vehicle is started. I am about 99% sure it is functioning before I attempt to turn on the garmin que software.

Sometimes I get a connection - no problem and then others - nothing and then I need to delete the gps x from bluetooth devices and then add it again.

I should say that this occurs after shutting down the vehicle, running an errand and returning to the vehicle and restarting. I have tried various ways of closing out of the program, from just powering off to disconnecting from the gps receiver and closing the program.

Could this be the same problem that others experience with the bt headsets?

It is very frustrating.

Took it into the Sprint store and they looked at me like I was from another planet and said "call Palm as that is a software issue and we don't support Treo 700p software problems".

remltr

I never run the GPS 10 using the cig lighter plug. I charge it using an AC adapter, so that might be my difference. Also, my GPS 10 is not paired with my Treo 700p. I found out that it didn't need to be to work.

The sequence I always follow is:

Turn on GPS 10 unit. Blue light flashing.

Go into Que software Map program. Hit Command-G to connect to GPS.

After about 10 seconds I get the garmin warning message about driving while looking at the GPS. Then I'm connected. Sometimes this takes longer then 10 seconds. Seems to be up to about 2-3 minutes if I haven't used the unit in a while.

To stop using the GPS:
    Open the Que Map program, Hit Command G to disconnect the GPS.
    Turn off the GPS 10 unit.
  3.    #3  
    Mogulman

I'll try your procedure but with the cigarette lighter power and see if that works.

I'm a little confused about not needing to pair the gps x. I was under the impression that the software interface connection was needed to communicate, but I'll try deleting it and see if it works. I am assuming that you do have bluetooth turned on though.
    Yes..bluetooth turned on...but not paired..

From what I understand..the Que software uses the Serial Bluetooth connection and doesn't need to be paired. At least I never needed to.
  5.    #5  
    Worked on the first attempt. Let you know later after I have had a series of attempts.

Thanks for the info.

Just wish the que software wouldn't hog the gps system. Still can't get my globalsat bt sirf III receiver to work with my geocaching software. Works if I uninstall the que software. Oh well.
    I usually start the GPS 10 first (charged up but unplugged), then start Que, go to the GPS page, select "Connect to GPS." Almost always works within 10 seconds as mogul reports. Once in a while it doesn't connect, in which case a quick disconnect/reconnect cycle always fixes the problem.

I've never had to pair the GPS 10 with the Treo either. Doesn't even show up on the Bluetooth manager list of trusted devices. I'm amazed at how much easier communicating with the GPS 10 is than communcating with the Palm Treo BT headset, the later of which is always a pain.
  7.    #7  
    Followed your guys recommended connect and disconnect procedure several times. Also without power. Only was able to get two consecutive connections, one posted earlier. On the third and subsequent 5 attempts got nothing. Fast flashing blue light on the receiver, which indicates that it is not connected. Should be a slow 1 per second for a connection. Although I could see the device through the bluetooth application.

So I did what I always do when it is stuck and took the battery out and put it back in to reestablish the connection. Booted right up after that.

I don't know if I have a bluetooth problem or a que software problem.

I have in the past uninstalled and reinstalled the que software, so i kind of suspect that it is a bluetooth issue. But I am stumped and not sure what to do next.

remltr
  8.    #8  
    I now think that what I have is a bluetooth issue with the Treo. I uninstalled the que software and using my globalsat bt 338 receiver get pretty much the same results with gps connection as I did with garmin gps x. Couple good connectiions and then a series of no connections unless I reset with the battery out and back in. It even is beginning to reset itself when I attempt to connect the cachenav app which allows me to see the satelite results of the globalsat.

Frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr View Post
    I now think that what I have is a bluetooth issue with the Treo. I uninstalled the que software and using my globalsat bt 338 receiver get pretty much the same results with gps connection as I did with garmin gps x. Couple good connectiions and then a series of no connections unless I reset with the battery out and back in. It even is beginning to reset itself when I attempt to connect the cachenav app which allows me to see the satelite results of the globalsat.

Frustrating.
    Have you tried hard reseting your treo and then trying things?

Sometimes Saved Preferences files (and others) get corrupted on the treo. Things seem like their working, but there can be funkyness.
  10.    #10  
    mogulman

no, i haven't tried a hard reset yet. although i do have everything backed up via nvbackup, i wonder if doing the reset and then running a restore will just place everything back where it was with all its funkyness.
    I've also found that if the Garmin Que software is having problems. It could be a corrupt NONVOL file. This file seems to keep preferences in the Garmin software and can get corrupted very easily. I have a backup now that I restore in case the Garmin software loses it's settings.
  12.    #12  
    mogulman,

Since uninstalling the que for palm software I have been experimenting with Emtac Navigator 3.0. Immediate bt connection about 90% of the time and it allows me to use my globalsat 338 sirf III receiver. Nice interface and 3D routing. 3D is nice!! Voice directions (same as que, but very British - female). Only has the 48 continental state maps (Navtec). Route from Treo contact list, caveat, see below.

That being said, it has its own issues. I live in Kent, WA and if I try to route to Chicago's city center (an option instead of inputting specific address) or a few other areas, especially east of the Mississippi it will reset or get a message that they was no way found. Might be corrupt files. 1,019 of them.

No GPS screen, but a box on map screen that changes color based on status. It has some other differences in the interface that are easier to use than que, but if it doesn't route that won't matter.

Have been able to get in concact with the tech support guy who answers on the first ring and spends as much time as you need helping (They obviously aren't as big or busy as Garmin). He is stumped so, I will probably have to post for other users, but I don't hold out much hope for responses as a search for Emtac produced very little and not much recent and mostly regarding the receivers and not the software.

If I give up on Emtac, I will reinstall the que software and keep in mind your note about the corrupt nonvol file. I did notice when I went into the gps preference screen that the settings would be different than the last time I looked. Such as power on and power off settings and waas enabled.
    Never seemed to hold.

remltr
    Hi Guy's

I've just got the Garmin GPS 10 Delux BT setup, but I'm having a few problems.

Firstly I understand you can run the base map from a SD card. If my base map is in RAM it displays no problem, but if I move the base map to my SD card the software can not find it, so all I get is a black screen.

I've tried putting the base map in various folders
    /Palm
    /Palm/Launcher
    /Garmin

Do you run your Base map from a card, and if so which folder do you put it in ?

Secondly, my Treo650 keeps resetting at random when I'm trying to use the Que software.
    I've had no problem pairing with the GPS10, but if I try running the various apps they run for a while and then soft reset the Treo?

Without the base map in RAM I have 10mb of free RAM.

I'm running a custom ROM, which give me more DBCache, so that should help anyway. I've got about 12mb of DBCache normally, dropping to about 10mb when Map is running, so that should not be a problem.

I've tried re-installing the software, which is version 2.1 or 2.2 depending on module.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Hi Guy's
    Firstly I understand you can run the base map from a SD card. If my base map is in RAM it displays no problem, but if I move the base map to my SD card the software can not find it, so all I get is a black screen.

I've tried putting the base map in various folders
    /Palm
    /Palm/Launcher
    /Garmin

Do you run your Base map from a card, and if so which folder do you put it in?
    I run both basemaps and detailed maps from the SD card. You have to HotSync the basemap or detailed map file. You can't just copy file into the /Garmin folder using a USB/SD card reader. I have no idea why a straight copy avoiding the painfully slow HotSync process doesn't work, but that has been my experience. For me, HotSync is about 6 MB per minute, so a detailed map file that can run into 100's of MB will take hours to HotSync.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Secondly, my Treo650 keeps resetting at random when I'm trying to use the Que software. I've had no problem pairing with the GPS10, but if I try running the various apps they run for a while and then soft reset the Treo?
    I have had no reset problems at all. I have a custom ROM with FAT32 and a 4 GB SD card, and Que is very stable. No problems making or receiving calls, listening to PocketTunes or using just about any other program while Que is running in the background. Could not having your maps properly installed cause your reset problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    ...... You have to HotSync the basemap or detailed map file.

....I have a custom ROM with FAT32 and a 4 GB SD card, and Que is very stable.
    How do you hotsync the basemap to \garmin on your SD card ?

When I build my detailed maps they go to \Garmin, but if I try to Hotsync the basemap to my SD card it ends up in \palm\launcher ?

Thanks for the FAT32 note, I'm using it as well so that was my next question
    Thought of the day :
    I have both the big basemap and detailed map on my sd card. They are on the SD card. The should be in the \garmin directory on the SD card. They should both have a .IMG extension if you have the correct files on the SD card. Make sure the basemap is the 13mb version. This is the one that is supposed to run from the SD card.

I installed the basemap using the installer and hotsyncing. I installed the detailed map (entire set) directly to my SD card using a card reader.

Then I copied both files from my SD card to a directory on my Hard drive, as a backup. Once you have a good copy of both, you can just use a card reader to copy them back and forth.

When you reinstall the software, make sure you use the Quesetup application and select "reinstall" before you actually reinstall. This deletes the old files.

Also, sometimes the NONVOL file in the Que software gets corrupt. You could try deleting it. The que software will create a new one, or you can restore a good copy from somewhere.

Fat32 does work fine. I used to use that with my old Treo650. I'm use the 700p now. Maybe it is having issues readinf from you SD card? Have you tried a different card?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    ...I installed the detailed map (entire set) directly to my SD card using a card reader.

When you reinstall the software, make sure you use the Quesetup application and select "reinstall" before you actually reinstall. This deletes the old files.

Also, sometimes the NONVOL file in the Que software gets corrupt. You could try deleting it. The que software will create a new one, or you can restore a good copy from somewhere.
    Thanks for the tips. For some reason the direct SD card reader method doesn't work for me. But once I have a HotSynced GMAPSUPP.IMG file, if I want to change the mapset, I can rename it, then replace it with another GMAPSUPP.IMG file with a different set of maps. For example, I have GMAPSUPPstreets.IMG and GMAPSUPPtopos.IMG files on my SD card, and rename whichever I want to use at any given time to GMAPSUPP.IMG, and that works fine. (In principle you can have both street and topo maps in the same GMAPSUPP.IMG file and select the maps you want to use at any given time via Preferences/Maps/Detailed Maps screen, but I could never get that to work; Que would always override my selections with its own.)

Do you know what the NONVOL file does? A quick look through the records using FileZ seems to suggest that this is the file that stores your waypoints, routes etc. If so, you don't want to delete it and let Que create a new one but rather restore it from the last "known good" version.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post

Do you know what the NONVOL file does? A quick look through the records using FileZ seems to suggest that this is the file that stores your waypoints, routes etc. If so, you don't want to delete it and let Que create a new one but rather restore it from the last "known good" version.

Looking at it with an editor... It looks like it stores waypoints, location, etc. So yes.. it is better to have a backup somewhere.
    Thanks for all the help, I'm sorted now.

Yes, you were right that I was putting a .pdb file onto my card instead of an .img one.

Where I was going wrong was when running the setup program on the Garmin CD. If you choose the "Complete Setup" option it just installs the cut down basemap onto you Treo internal RAM.

However if you choose "Custom Setup" you can then decide which basemap you want and where. I've gone for the 30mb Worldwide one and it's working fine.

My resets were being caused by an app on my Treo called Uncache, by Palm Powerup. This apps stops apps being registered at a soft reset. Once I had added all the Que apps to the list of apps to be registered at a reset everything was OK.

I can't believe how little overheads the Que software uses.
    Thought of the day :