1.    #1  
    TomTom's web site now has the announcement on Navigator 6.

"TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will be available from September 2006. It is available as a stand alone software product or bundled together with a PDA or smart phone through retailers. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 with navigation software and the maps of a country/region plus major roads of Western Europe on memory card, will cost 99. "

John
    $150 for the upgrade? Wow that's a high price. I'm not sure if I will be upgrading since I already have TomTom 5

Al
  3.    #4  
    $150? I don't see anything on the site about upgrade pricing. I would expect it to be something less than retail, but we'll have to wait and see.

John
    Press Release:
    http://www.tomtom.com/news/category....291&Language=1

Still no word on whether or not there will be an update plan for v5 users.

Nor is there any official word on U.S. Pricing. But at least they are acknowledging the fact that it exists apart from Palm.
  5.    #6  
    They have announced it, and said it will be available sometime in September. But, nothing specific yet.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    ~merged~
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Just curious about the TomTom software...

When businesses come into a city, or a city constructs new roads or closes some, are these up dated on the maps, or are we stuck with old maps until a new version comes out.

There's a few minor ones in my town, but some expressways being built in a city about an hour away that I frequent. I don't need GPS to get around there (although, I get lost sometimes) but it just got me thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Just curious about the TomTom software...

When businesses come into a city, or a city constructs new roads or closes some, are these up dated on the maps, or are we stuck with old maps until a new version comes out.

There's a few minor ones in my town, but some expressways being built in a city about an hour away that I frequent. I don't need GPS to get around there (although, I get lost sometimes) but it just got me thinking.
    Your stuck with 'em. I have been in cities where new highways have been constructed. It is really disconcerting seeing your nav system show you driving across green pastures.
    Is there an alternative that updates them more frequently? I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for the updates, but over $100 is way too much, especially for what I'm doing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Is there an alternative that updates them more frequently? I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for the updates, but over $100 is way too much, especially for what I'm doing now.
    There are a couple of online services that are supposed to stay reasonably current so using them, updates wouldn't be required. Try searching on Telenav or Earthcomber. The drawback is you have to have a data connection to use them.
    Is the data connection opened the entire time, or just to download the map?