Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a 650, upgrading to 700p, and was wondering if I need to change my data plan to the Power Vision, or will it happen automatically when I activate the new phone... and do I need Power Vision to get data at EVDO sppeds?

Thanks in advance...

Ken
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    1) Yes, the rep will upgrade you to Power Vision when you change ESN's

2) Yes, you need Power Vision for EVDO
    Why do people insist on disseminating incorrect information sometimes. NO - NO - NO - you do not need to upgrade your vision plan. Sprint will try very hard to force you to do so, but refuse.

Tell them you only want to do an ESN swap - not a new activation. They'll try to convince you, but you can get them to leave your plan alone.

I would suggest you do some research on www.sprintusers.com - there is a wealth of info on this.
    yep, what Sail said......
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace View Post
    Why do people insist on disseminating incorrect information sometimes. NO - NO - NO - you do not need to upgrade your vision plan. Sprint will try very hard to force you to do so, but refuse.

Tell them you only want to do an ESN swap - not a new activation. They'll try to convince you, but you can get them to leave your plan alone.

I would suggest you do some research on www.sprintusers.com - there is a wealth of info on this.
    SailRace -

1) You might want to remove that chip from your shoulder. Let's see, I'm buying a $600 phone, and I'll have to pay $15 instead of $10 for data. The power vision gives me access to bells and whistles that I may never use, but I still pay $30 per month less than Verizon. Is this incorrect information/advice to give to a newbie?

2) If I was wrong with EVDO only being available through Power Vision, then I stand corrected. But for $5 a month, it's not worth my time, or frankly your time, to get so upset over this. And as far as I know, you need Power Vision to get EVDO.

Thx
    there is actually no "switch" at Sprint that "turns on" EVDO over the slow stuff. If your phone is EVDO capable, it'll pick up the EVDO signal. That was his point and that is why the Sprint folks try soooo hard to get you to change - they really want more money for the EVDO service.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo View Post
    SailRace -

1) You might want to remove that chip from your shoulder. Let's see, I'm buying a $600 phone, and I'll have to pay $15 instead of $10 for data. The power vision gives me access to bells and whistles that I may never use, but I still pay $30 per month less than Verizon. Is this incorrect information/advice to give to a newbie?

2) If I was wrong with EVDO only being available through Power Vision, then I stand corrected. But for $5 a month, it's not worth my time, or frankly your time, to get so upset over this. And as far as I know, you need Power Vision to get EVDO.

Thx
    Ok, so now I'm confused.... If I don't have to upgrade, that is fine... if it's only $5 extra per month, that's not so bad either. I have been with Sprint for about 4 years or so and I don't want to add something that I will be sorry for.

I will also go to sprintusers to see what's up there.

Thanks for the replies though!!

Ken
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    there is actually no "switch" at Sprint that "turns on" EVDO over the slow stuff. If your phone is EVDO capable, it'll pick up the EVDO signal. That was his point and that is why the Sprint folks try soooo hard to get you to change - they really want more money for the EVDO service.
    Thanks! That makes it more clear. I will check out the difference between the standard Vision and Power Vision and upgrade accordingly.

Thanks again!

Ken
    ambtreo

Believe me, i have no chip on my shoulder. But i have seen far too many times that people come on (admittedly with good intentions) and spout of blatantly untrue information. I was not jumping on you for it...simply trying to correct both his and your thinking.

Sometimes, its not just an issue of $15 vs $10. I would have been going from $0 for grandfathered vision to $15, which while isn't a huge deal to me, might be to others. Given the number of threads of people trying to gain every last penny on purchase of new phones and using retention to get better deals, $15 a month can add up. Over the course of a 2 year agreement, your looking at $360 ( that's enough to get you a new phone with a new service line these days.) So, the fact that its less than Verizon, isn't really applicable here, although certainly a true statement.

Regarding your second point, i am once again, not upset about it. But as we are in the business of helping out newbies, as you put it, wouldn't it be better to provide them with correct information. The treo 700 is an EVDO phone. If EVDO is available, it will use that network, regardless of whether or not you have PowerVision through sprint. Sprint will try to sell you more expensive PV plans, but they are not necessary for the 700 to operate on the EVDO network. I, along with many other users, are evidence of this every day.

Again - not jumping on you - just get tired sometimes of people coming in looking for information, and being told the wrong thing. So now, hopefully both of you are educated.

Have a good day.
    Kenjan -

Look into what you are paying now for vision and go online and see what they want to charge for PV. If you don't care, then go for it....if you do, it is not necessary to upgrade to use EVDO. As bubba said, there is no magic switch.
  11.    #11  
    Kenjan -

Look into what you are paying now for vision and go online and see what they want to charge for PV. If you don't care, then go for it....if you do, it is not necessary to upgrade to use EVDO. As bubba said, there is no magic switch.
    Thanks Sail. I think I might be grandfathered in for $0 Vision, but I will check. I just want fast internet, and I use ChatterMail. I've been living with regular Vision on my 650 for over a year, so I don't think I'd need Pwer Vision.

Thanks all!!!!

Ken
    If you have chatter running now, and are using vision, definitely check and see if you are being billed for it. If not, than you're g-fathered in. DO NOT let them change your vision plan. If you upgrade, call Customer Service. Tell them you want to do an ESN swap. Don't let them convince you to change your vision plan -they will try very hard. Confirm that all you want is to swap the ESN of your new phone with the old one. And i would play dumb about power vision at all. Just pretend that you don't know what it is, and don't use vision enough to care. If they change your plan, it is impossible to get it back, so make sure htey confirm no changes to your plan, period. Tell them your just trying the phone out, and aren't sure you're going to keep it, and if you go back, you don't want your plan screwed up.

They should let you go then....and with no other effort, you'll be ready to us EVDO and powervision with your exisitng regular vision set up.

The nicest thing about EVDO for me, is that with Chatter running, phone calls don't get bounced to voicemail now. So if you have a data session running, the phone calls will break through, and you won't miss any calls.
    Ken - the grandfathered stuff is the hardest to keep. If you are buying your phone from Sprint, then you'll have to fight hard to keep a $0 plan for EVDO. BUT - you can still get it cheaper than $15/mo. - maybe for $5 or $10. I have seen that happen. Try to at least get a credit.

Sprintusers is great - I got a lot of plan for lower $'s just becasue of that site.

(And good guidance from Sail above!)
  14.    #14  
    If you have chatter running now, and are using vision, definitely check and see if you are being billed for it. If not, than you're g-fathered in. DO NOT let them change your vision plan. If you upgrade, call Customer Service. Tell them you want to do an ESN swap. Don't let them convince you to change your vision plan -they will try very hard. Confirm that all you want is to swap the ESN of your new phone with the old one. And i would play dumb about power vision at all. Just pretend that you don't know what it is, and don't use vision enough to care. If they change your plan, it is impossible to get it back, so make sure htey confirm no changes to your plan, period. Tell them your just trying the phone out, and aren't sure you're going to keep it, and if you go back, you don't want your plan screwed up.

They should let you go then....and with no other effort, you'll be ready to us EVDO and powervision with your exisitng regular vision set up.

The nicest thing about EVDO for me, is that with Chatter running, phone calls don't get bounced to voicemail now. So if you have a data session running, the phone calls will break through, and you won't miss any calls.
    I checked my account, and I don't even see Vision on my plan at all, so I think I'm a grandfather! DOH!

One of the biggest reasons for upgrading is the data/voice issue. I do miss a lot of calls when Chatter is doing it's thing, so that will be a HUGE improvement.

I'm scared now that I will run into issues when I change the phone. I'm hoping that the more I say "No Changes", they actually listen and nothing is changed. I've had a few times that they assured me that my account wouldn't change, and it did, and I call back, and I get "Well, there's nothing we can do...".

Wish me luck!!!!

And thanks to all again...

Ken
    As a user that has been with Sprint for quite a while, getting Power Vision for $10 should be easy, I asked and got it. Getting it for $5 might take a little begging but doable, as many others seem to have been successful. I think you would remember something if you had been grandfathered in to $0 Vision, you may not have it at all.

All in all, $10 for data is not bad these days...

Good Luck!
    I will add one more piece of advice....

I did this with the add-a-phone on my account, which gets vision for jsut $5 extra. They also tried to push PV, but i didn't bite. You just have to be firm about it.

DO NOT activate your phone at the store. The people at the store have much less freedom, and will be required to change your plan. If you buy from a store, tell them you aren't ready to activate it yet, because you're giving it as a gift. Tell them you just want the phone in the box. They CAN sell it to you this way. You can then call CS once you get to the privcay of your home or office, and handle it through them.

It takes persistence, but it is doable.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I think you would remember something if you had been grandfathered in to $0 Vision, you may not have it at all.

All in all, $10 for data is not bad these days...

Good Luck!
    Well, I was a tester for GoodLink a while back, and before I started I called CS and they told me I had unlimited data, because I didn't want to get a HUGE bill if I didn't. I've been using Chatter for about 2 months, and my bill is the same, so Vision is there somewhere, just not sure where, but I'm not going to say anything!!!!

Actually, I have the 2000 minute plan, so I think free Vision is included... I think that's why....

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjancef View Post
    !

Actually, I have the 2000 minute plan, so I think free Vision is included... I think that's why....

Ken

That is the key right there...you do have vision included....and that 2000 minute plan is far better than anything they currently offer....i know, i have the same deal.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    ambtreo

Believe me, i have no chip on my shoulder. But i have seen far too many times that people come on (admittedly with good intentions) and spout of blatantly untrue information. I was not jumping on you for it...simply trying to correct both his and your thinking.

Sometimes, its not just an issue of $15 vs $10. I would have been going from $0 for grandfathered vision to $15, which while isn't a huge deal to me, might be to others. Given the number of threads of people trying to gain every last penny on purchase of new phones and using retention to get better deals, $15 a month can add up. Over the course of a 2 year agreement, your looking at $360 ( that's enough to get you a new phone with a new service line these days.) So, the fact that its less than Verizon, isn't really applicable here, although certainly a true statement.

Regarding your second point, i am once again, not upset about it. But as we are in the business of helping out newbies, as you put it, wouldn't it be better to provide them with correct information. The treo 700 is an EVDO phone. If EVDO is available, it will use that network, regardless of whether or not you have PowerVision through sprint. Sprint will try to sell you more expensive PV plans, but they are not necessary for the 700 to operate on the EVDO network. I, along with many other users, are evidence of this every day.

Again - not jumping on you - just get tired sometimes of people coming in looking for information, and being told the wrong thing. So now, hopefully both of you are educated.

Have a good day.
    No problem SailRace - I hear your points loud and clear and you are correct. I just never cared to figure out the fine details as I was more concerned with getting EVDO on my Treo and I didn't care about the $5/month.

Now what I would really like to see Sprint implement is the CPOP functionality that VZW installed last month. CPOP let's you receive calls during an active data session in a 1xrtt coverage area. That I would be willing to pay for

Have a good day as well.
  20.    #20  
    That is the key right there...you do have vision included....and that 2000 minute plan is far better than anything they currently offer....i know, i have the same deal.
    Yea... I kinda forgot that I had the 2000 min. plan...

I will activate it over the phone and YELL at them if they try to change anything...

Ken
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast