1.    #1  
    heard something interesting on the MobillityToday podcast. it was an interview w/ HTCs No.America director. The host asked about HTCs commitment to EVDO Rev.A. He responded that current HTC devices w/ Qualcom's 7500 evdo rev.0 chipsets are made to be firmware upgradable to rev.A. I assume that the 700p (being an HTC device) is included, unless it doesn't use this chipset???
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    heard something interesting on the MobillityToday podcast. it was an interview w/ HTCs No.America director. The host asked about HTCs commitment to EVDO Rev.A. He responded that current HTC devices w/ Qualcom's 7500 evdo rev.0 chipsets are made to be firmware upgradable to rev.A. I assume that the 700p (being an HTC device) is included, unless it doesn't use this chipset???
    Treo 700p = Chipset: Qualcomm MSM6500

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So why does the 700p have the older chipset. Was the newer one not availible at the time or did palm just go the cheapo route? I guess it doesn't matter either way. History has shown that spint isn't willing to upgrade phone radios even if they are capable of it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Treo 700p = Chipset: Qualcomm MSM6500
    Ah !...so much for that. I assume that this chipset isn't firmware upgradable...that would be too easy
  5.    #5  
    this is interesting.....from Qualcomm site, the MSM6500 data sheet:

"Technical Features

* Supports CDMA2000 1X Rel. 0 and Rev. A, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 and GSM/GPRS networks
    * ARM926EJ-S™ microprocessor core
    * Two QDSP4000™ high-performance digital signal processors (DSP)
    * ARM® Jazelle™ Java® hardware acceleration
    * Support for BREW® and Java applications
    * Qcamera™: Up to 1.3 megapixel digital images
    * Qtv™: Playback at 15 fps QCIF
    * Qcamcorder™: Record at 15 fps QCIF
    * Q3Dimension™: Up to 50k 3D triangles/second, and 400k depth-tested, textured and 1M depth-tested, shaded 3D pixels/second fill rate
    * gpsOne® position-location hybrid assisted-GPS (A-GPS) solution
    * Digital audio support for MP3/AAC/aacPlus™
    * Integrated Bluetooth® baseband processor support
    * Support for mobile receive diversity (MRD) solutions for enhanced data throughput and an improved user experience"

So I gather two things
    1.) This chipset has GPS built in, but not utilized by Palm
    2.) This chipset provides Bluetooth - the maybe Palms is not to blame for the poor implementaion of BT???
    I find it interesting that it supports Rev A. Could still be an upgrade available.
    * Supports CDMA2000 1X Rel. 0 and Rev. A, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 and GSM/GPRS networks
    Thats what I thought when I first read it but that is wrong.. it supports 1x rev 0 and rev A. and 1x EV-DO Rev 0.. it does not show that it supports 1xEV-DO rev A..
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    The 700p is not an HTC device, it's an Inventec. The 700w is HTC though and maybe the 700wx.
    this is interesting.....from Qualcomm site, the MSM6500 data sheet:

"Technical Features

* ARM926EJ-S™ microprocessor core
    * Two QDSP4000™ high-performance digital signal processors (DSP)
    * ARM® Jazelle™ Java® hardware acceleration
    * Support for BREW® and Java applications
    * Qcamera™: Up to 1.3 megapixel digital images
    * Qtv™: Playback at 15 fps QCIF
    * Qcamcorder™: Record at 15 fps QCIF
    * Q3Dimension™: Up to 50k 3D triangles/second, and 400k depth-tested, textured and 1M depth-tested, shaded 3D pixels/second fill rate
    * gpsOne® position-location hybrid assisted-GPS (A-GPS) solution
    * Digital audio support for MP3/AAC/aacPlus™
    * Integrated Bluetooth® baseband processor support
    * Support for mobile receive diversity (MRD) solutions for enhanced data throughput and an improved user experience"

So I gather two things
    1.) This chipset has GPS built in, but not utilized by Palm
    2.) This chipset provides Bluetooth - the maybe Palms is not to blame for the poor implementaion of BT???
    No. Apparently the GPS that the chipset supports is A-GPS = Assisted GPS. Means that the device receives its coordinates from the cell tower. Not sure of the exact method, but I would venture to guess some sort of triangulation. A-GPS is required for E911 compatibility. It is more or less the devices firmware that supports it. Not sure if Palm Traffic uses this GPS service though (it might).

So, I do not believe that it has regular GPS in it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    No. Apparently the GPS that the chipset supports is A-GPS = Assisted GPS. Means that the device receives its coordinates from the cell tower. Not sure of the exact method, but I would venture to guess some sort of triangulation. A-GPS is required for E911 compatibility. It is more or less the devices firmware that supports it. Not sure if Palm Traffic uses this GPS service though (it might).

So, I do not believe that it has regular GPS in it.
    OK...I was a bit sketchy on "GPS-A" vs. "GPS". Makes sense about 911 compatability
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    The 700p is not an HTC device, it's an Inventec. The 700w is HTC though and maybe the 700wx.
    Oh...I though it was the other way around since the 650s were HTCs...