1.    #1  
    My old GSM Treo 650 never caused this problem. My new Cingular GSM Treo 650 causes nearby radios to crackle (buzz... buzz... buzz-buzz-buzz...), maybe a couple times every hour, sometimes even when the radio is turned off! Otherwise cell reception and and battery life seem normal.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Should I send this new Treo back as being a dangerous emitter of EMI/RFI?
    All devices cause that kind of interference. I find it's particularly audible when using data.

When I had a Cingular TDMA phone, it did the same thing. Get it within 2 feet of the computer monitor or a TV...the picture would fritz and the speakers would buzz, if a call was in progress, or an SMS was incoming. Same for radios and some fluorescent lights.

This is because both TDMA and GSM (which is based on TDMA) is constantly switching the transmitter on and off. This creates the buzzing sound you hear and the pictures going crazy. Imagine putting a magnet near a TV set and constantly swapping the North and South (or positive and negative) 30 times a second.

Still, not all TDMA phones caused as much, if any, interference. Not sure why that is. Sounds like the transmitter operates with a bit more interference.

Not sure what that means about its effects on your brain, though.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I can tell when I'm going to get a text message before it shows up because my radio starts making the interference sounds...
    This has been going on for a long time. Cingular's service and system obviously is the cause. I use my Treo 650 as my medical beeper/pager. When I'm on call overnight, I used to put my beeper on my nighttable next to the bed. But when I started doing that with my Treo (which replaced the beeper), my alarm clock/radio would make noise every few minutes. Any speaker (TV, radio, etc.) that is off will make some noise when the Treo's radio service periodically does stuff, and any speaker that is on will make a ton of noise.

Solution, by the way, has been to keep the Treo inside the nighttable's drawer. That's only 2 inches away from the clock/radio, but the wooden box of the drawer must cause helpful interference and the Treo makes no noise come out of the clock radio. Go figure.
    -- Josh
  6.    #6  
    Good to know I'm not the only one to hear buzzing noises out of a radio that's turned off when my GSM Treo is nearby.

If it's putting out that much RF power, do I really want it near my head for extended periods of time?

Time to put an ferrite RF choke on my hands-free headset, maybe.
    It is a normal situation for any GSM phone. No need to worry.

Yeah, it has bad effects on your brains
    For what it's worth, I have the same problem and it drives me nuts! I've searched around before and what I learned was that Cingular's towers are on a specific band of the quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (I think it was the 1900) and that band in particular is more likely to interfer with audio systems.

Here are a couple other threads on the topic:

If you find a solution, I'd really like to hear what it is.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I have T-Mobile and get the same interference on a regular basis. I just keep the Treo far enough away from the radio/speakers/monitor/whatever so that it doesn't interfer.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Its a GSM issue and some phones are worse. All my Cingular phones did it, but my 650 was the worst. Once I moved to Sprint with my 700p, the problem went away since I'm not on the GSM network any longer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have the same problem...except in a police radio room! Boy...do cops get mad when their radio traffic get interfered with....so treo goes across the room near the printers! Happy cops!