Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

    My Blazer browser is just so embarrassingly slow. Now I found the Opera Mini. I downloaded the HiRes version, and it is blazingly (no pun intended) FAST! I couldn't believe it. Why is it that it is SOOO much faster than Blazer??? I also am able to do things like pay for things online with a credit card that Blazer, for some reason, won't let me do. Is there any way to speed up Blazer??? And again, I am so baffled and want to understand WHY it's such night and day between the two!

    Thanks to you all!
  2. #2  
    Opera Mini is a proxy browser, when you request a page it goes to Opera's servers, where it fetches the page and compresses it then delivers to you, which makes it faster.

    No way to speed up blazer unfortunately (without getting a 700p)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Opera Mini is a proxy browser, when you request a page it goes to Opera's servers, where it fetches the page and compresses it then delivers to you, which makes it faster.

    No way to speed up blazer unfortunately (without getting a 700p)
    Opera Mini HiRes pretty much looks the same as Blazer, no? Very good quality?
  4. #4  
    I thought blazer was a proxy browser too?? I thought that was exactly why it was slow, since it takes time to fetch the page and resize. is that wrong?
  5. #5  
    Try changing the DNS settings, see various postings here or a recent article at Brighthand.com in order to do so. The difference is quite noticable.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Try changing the DNS settings, see various postings here or a recent article at Brighthand.com in order to do so. The difference is quite noticable.

    Which Brighthand articles?
  7. #7  
    Apparently you're not a big fan of Google. Just change your DNS servers to 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.


  8. #8  
    Yeah ok, found the Brighthand article. I read a different related one from howardforums.

    The Brighthand article says to enter: "Primary DNS," enter "4.2.2.1" and Secondary DNS, enter "4.2.2.2".

    I tried both of those and the ones specified in the http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=989354 - the same as those listed in by FrozenCode.

    In simple tests accessing the http://mobile.palm.com/us site, I found that leaving the DNS setting CHECKED at "Query DNS" produced the fastest results for me (am on Cingular).
  9. #9  
    If you can get a copy of Webpro 3.0 or 3.01a, you'll see greatly improved speeds over Blazer. I'm currently run webpro 3.0, which is faster than 3.01a, but does not format the page as nicely. People complain about stability, but if you avoid going into the menu settings, it runs fine. If you go into the menus, it will crash the phone when exiting the program. The other problem is that the 5 way navigation doesn't work. It's necessary to touch the screen to select links, go back, etc. I've gotten use to it and simply use my thumbnail to click.

    For most web pages, webpro will load about 3x faster than blazer. If you overclock the treo, then webpro is even faster.

    I also run Opera Mini 2.0; however the page formatting is not that great. I'd like to get Blazer 4.0 working, but unfortunately you need the 1.20 ROM which Sprint has not released.

    Nathan
  10. #10  
    I had WebPro but deleted it accidentally. It was removed from link where I had gotten it, before I could get it back. Anybody know where it can be found thesedays?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson View Post
    If you can get a copy of Webpro 3.0 or 3.01a, you'll see greatly improved speeds over Blazer. I'm currently run webpro 3.0, which is faster than 3.01a, but does not format the page as nicely. People complain about stability, but if you avoid going into the menu settings, it runs fine. If you go into the menus, it will crash the phone when exiting the program. The other problem is that the 5 way navigation doesn't work. It's necessary to touch the screen to select links, go back, etc. I've gotten use to it and simply use my thumbnail to click.

    For most web pages, webpro will load about 3x faster than blazer. If you overclock the treo, then webpro is even faster.

    I also run Opera Mini 2.0; however the page formatting is not that great. I'd like to get Blazer 4.0 working, but unfortunately you need the 1.20 ROM which Sprint has not released.

    Nathan

    Ha, I find that funny, coming over from a T3. Everyone on the T3 forums always said that Blazer was so much better than WebPro and wanted to know how to get it, but I don't think it would run on the T3, so end of story. So much for the grass is greener....

    How about WebPro v3.5?
    Last edited by Convert; 09/02/2006 at 01:00 AM.
  12. #12  
    I entered those DNS mentioned above, but did not see the difference. Do they work for US carriers only?

    I tried WebPro 3.0 and 2.0 but always when I am exiting it says: Critically low memory. Remove data or application. And resets.
  13. spiVeyx's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    #13  
    You may want to try changing your DNS servers to addresses that are in your local/region.

    I tried changing my DNS settings and saw no noticeable difference.

    For now I'm content with OperaMini even with all it's querks.
  14. #14  
    Opera is not bad really, but I do not like to keep a huge Java. And sometimes I would prefer to see the page in original size not formatted for PDAs. I noticed that Blazer works pretty fast with graphics turned off.
  15. #15  
    This is one former T3 user that never used Blazer on the T3.

    It seems I'm using Webpro more and more on the Treo.

    I can barely stand that in Blazer I can't go to a link until the majority of the page is loaded.
    To get around this I use the google 'proxy' front end (bookmarks preceded with:
    www.google.com/gwt/n?=bookmarked webpage)
    which turns Blazer into a psuedo OperaMini, though with other problems. C'est la vie

    Lack of a good browser might make the 650 my last Palm device
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    In simple tests accessing the http://mobile.palm.com/us site, I found that leaving the DNS setting CHECKED at "Query DNS" produced the fastest results for me (am on Cingular).
    That worked really well for me too (I'm on Verizon). Thanks for the tip. Now Blazer is almost bearable (sometimes...)

Posting Permissions