Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I WILL SEARCH FOR ANSWERS FIRST BUT IF ANYONE CAN HELP A NEWBIE OUT, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT..

I just got a new Treo 700p from Sprint (Evil People)

So far, I was able to set up my e mail on the phone and I installed the Palm software that came on the disk with the phone onto my Mac Computer. Phone looks great so far but I am new to this whole 'Palm' software thing.

ALL I AM LOOKING TO DO IS HAVE THE TREO SYNCH WITH WHAT I USE EVERYDAY ON MY MAC POWERBOOK USING LATEST OS:

I use Entourage for all my e mailing.
    1) HOW CAN I GET MY NEW TREO 700p to synch with my Entourage on my computer??? SO I can get all my contacts that are within my entourage??
    So I can maybe have the folders that are within my entourage inbox also transfered to phone??? I should note that my Microsoft Office is a bootlegged copy and I DO NOT have the Entourage Conduit that is on installer disk..

2) I also have contacts in my ADDRESS BOOK which is on my MAC. How can I get these contacts into my TREO??

3) How do I get Microsift Word and excel and Adobe PDF files onto my Treo? Is that possible? To open and work with them or are they READ only files?

4) Can you IM using a treo connecting to ichat or any AIM users?

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if these are simple things and I am just an *****...
    Feel free to e mail me directly @ dowen76@earthlink.net

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Last edited by fonzske; 08/28/2006 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzske View Post
    I WILL SEARCH FOR ANSWERS FIRST BUT IF ANYONE CAN HELP A NEWBIE OUT, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT..
    That's a contradiction. You've all ready forfeited your ability to search first by posting first instead.

You can send IM's on the Treo with any AIM client. Verichat is popular but might still have issues with the 700p - search in this forum for more on that. Toccer is a free AIM app which just kinda works, no frills, very basic. There are some others.

I've not hotsynced with a Mac but I imagine you can transfer PDFs and other documents through the hotsync software. In Windows you just open the hotsync Install conduit and add the file. You could also bluetooth it.... e-mail it... infrared it... put it on an SD card, etc.
    I don't know about the contact syncing stuff since, again, I haven't used that software, but it's either supported out of the box or there will be a third party application to do it.

I just got a new Treo 700p from Sprint (Evil People)
    Evil? Haven't had a problem with Sprint to date. Evil?

Run - don't walk and buy Missing Sync. I use it everyday with my Mac. Excellent stuff. Evil?

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    Evil? Haven't had a problem with Sprint to date. Evil?

Run - don't walk and buy Missing Sync. I use it everyday with my Mac. Excellent stuff. Evil?

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
    Ditto. I've no issues with Sprint.

And yes, I thought it odd to see something akin to, "I will search first, but here, read all of this...."
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    What are you doing with Sprint if they are so evil? If you have bad coverage in your area with Sprint...feel free to get gouged and bled from Verizon with their arrogance balancing on their network with high prices.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I know. I'm sorry. There are resources here but sometimes it just pays to ask the questions you want answers for. I apologize. I appreciate any help. Thanks again.
    I apologize. I appreciate any help. Thanks again.
    MissingSync. It will help.
    2nd post and we already got em trained to apologize. Not bad huh?

Welcome to the discussions. Snoop around and we'll help all we can.
    p.s. - get MissingSync
    I WILL SEARCH FOR ANSWERS FIRST BUT IF

3) How do I get Microsift Word and excel and Adobe PDF files onto my Treo? Is that possible? To open and work with them or are they READ only files?

4) Can you IM using a treo connecting to ichat or any AIM users?
    3) The Word to Go app that comes with the Palm CD should be able to open and edit word and excel files. Never used them. Adobe has a Palm reader on their website. It will "convert" the PDF into Palm only format.

4) AIM Palm client or VeriChat I think.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    ok, so the help i have received here has been great. this little device is a pain but i am growing to like it.

So far I was able to get all my e mail contacts in my entourage onto my Treo. I have anyones e mails address and vcard. I also was able to get AIM running using TOCCER. I downloaded Missing Sync and this has been a huge help.

2 Things I am still having probs with:

1) Getting Entourage to sync w/ my Treo. The Entourage Conduit is in the conduit list in Missing Sync but not on Treo. I have tried to get it onto Treo but have been unsuccessful.

2) I realize when I pull e mails down from the Earthlink severs that they are gone and I can't get them on phone. How can I get my Treo to pull the e mails at the same time my computer does? When I have new incoming mail Entourage pulls em down every 2 mins or so. How can I get my treo to pull down the e mails from the server w/o going into E Mail App and hitting GET.

3) How can I get the time big on my main screen? My phone is my clock. Need to be able to see the time better. IS there an app i have to d/l to make this happen.

AGAIN, I apologize for the stupid questions but like I said it helps just to ask out loud..

THANK YOU!
    Find an option in Entourage to "leave messages on server" or something with that effect. When Entourage downloads your e-mail it deletes them from the server, so they can't be gotten from there afterwards.
    pretty amazing. I just spent about 15 seconds on google and found some good resources for all your questions
    Geez muncheroo ....... at least throw out a biscuit. A link or two would probably be appreciated by fonzske. Good gravy.
    I think Chatter can download email automatically. Burns your battery though.
    better to teach him how to do it himself. posting a few links would be doing him an injustice =)
    Fonzske ...... here's a clock utility you may like.

http://software.everythingtreo.com/product.asp?id=732
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thank you once again. And yes, I do google searches and found answers. But you guys here who obviously love this device are better then google.
    Been finding apps, learning by the minute. Problem is I have done nothing else.LOL. I now have my e mail just sitting on my server and I can at least bring into Treo and organize anyway I like or match it to my entourage.

Feel like helping more..
    Do I need to get a memory card in order to get music onto this thing?
    Any recomendations?

Some more must have apps?
    Ok, fonzske, that it! Start searching.

Welcome to TreoCentral!

P.S.
    NewEgg has been having some very good deals on SD cards lately (look for a price around $50 or $60 for a 4GB card usually after a rebate). I think the Transcend cards are about as good as it gets, but the word is that the Ritek may be better...
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/30/2006 at 11:29 AM.