Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    So I'll admit, I'm a lazy ***. I have two batteries, one always charging on the base. So whenever I come home and I'm low of juice, I just turn the SCREEN off (not the radio itself), flip out the battery and insert new. I know I should be turning the phone off, then shutting the screen down, but like I said, i'm a lazy ***.

Theortically speaking, this is probably bad to the phone. But realistically, am I really doing any damage? Everything still works pretty good, nothing bad to report.

Thoughts?
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    I'd like to know as well... I have the Seidio spare battery charger and just change the battery if it's low, but don't shut down, just hit the power off...
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    It's basically the same as doing a reset. I doubt it does any harm.
    Anyone ever tried putting the phone on the charger and swapping the battery? Even worse idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Anyone ever tried putting the phone on the charger and swapping the battery? Even worse idea?

Works great on 650 GSM and continues working normally. This does not work on 700P... the phone will shut down instantly and reset.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Interesting.. Just curious actually, I need to get a new battery, but I expect I'll just retire the old one rather than buying a charger to keep it topped off, I'm not a super heavy user.. With just data I drop to about 65% during the day, sometimes wind up around 35-40% with usage and talking. Battery is 14 months old now, probably the higher cap battery would be plenty for me.
    I swap batteries often. Should be no different than a soft reset. Should have no ill effects for well behaved POS programs.
    Just a note:
    When I first got the 700p I was doing something that made me take out the battery and reinsert it (this was before the phone was activated). I did have to recalibrate the stylus which was suddenly way off, but everything else was ok. So basically it lost one of it's settings (this may have been due to the fact that it wasn't well charged either).

I've wanted to do the (Palm?) charger with the slot for charging the extra battery too, but the above experience gave me some pause. I'm glad ike301 asked this question directly, and the replies have sort of given me the assurance to proceed
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/29/2006 at 11:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    i presume soft resets are common and that 365 resets in a year won't do anything bad to the unit. that's the presumption, anyway. i would probably suggest getting out of any runnin programs (i.e games, contacts, etc). if you hear something about this, pls post.
    1.04-SPNT
    Maybe you should pop the battery cover, run mReset (force a soft reset) then yank the battery at the PalmOne screen?
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Maybe you should pop the battery cover, run mReset (force a soft reset) then yank the battery at the PalmOne screen?
    yikes
    1.04-SPNT
    You mean the equivalent of cutting the power on an x86 system at the bootloader? I'd imagine it would just overwrite whatever it uncompressed at that point during the boot process and continue on its merry way.

Well, the idea being the Palm has been reset when the battery is yanked, rather than yanking it "while running".
    Popping the battery is NOT the same as a soft reset!

How do I know? I'm still running SnapperMail 1.9.5. (Yes, it's old. But it meets my needs, it's paid for, and it's more stable on my Treo than the newest version.) If I do a soft reset with Snapper open, everything is fine. If I yank the battery with Snapper open, the mail database files get corrupted, and I have to restore them.

It would seem that pressing the reset button in the back causes the OS to send a message to open apps telling them to close their databases.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.