Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Treo 650 on Cingular - If I try to edit a contact on the Treo it won't save any changes. I can add a contact or delete a contact - but when I edit a contact the changes don't get saved.

I have tried to reset, hard reset etc. Any ideas?

My next option is to reinstall the firmware - but I'm afraid about frying my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvsnut View Post
    Treo 650 on Cingular - If I try to edit a contact on the Treo it won't save any changes. I can add a contact or delete a contact - but when I edit a contact the changes don't get saved.

I have tried to reset, hard reset etc. Any ideas?

My next option is to reinstall the firmware - but I'm afraid about frying my Treo.
    Never happened to me, but it's a curious problem. When you do a Hard reset, do you try to manually enter in a contact then edit it? If you are just re-syncing after a hard reset you might be replacing the problem you had to begin with.

Of course, if you are well experienced with the 650, this is something you will have done as a matter of course, but I always start by eliminating the simple details first... Just trying to help.

Have you tried running dbScan and seeing if you have a corrupted record somewhere?
    I have never had issues editing contacts. I also have a 650 from Cingular. I do think you should upgrade the firmware BUT if you are worried, take it into the Cingular Store and ask them to do it for you. This way, if it gets jacked, you can blame them and they can replace it for you.... LOL. Actually, you would have to call Cingular and get it replaced from them because they will not do it at the store but at least you can still blame them..

I upgraded the firmware on my 650 and did not have any problems. This was the first time I ever did it and it was pretty painless.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I'm experiencing the same issue on my Sprint 650. I searched and found a few other people posting the same problem as well. No one seems to be reporting a 'real' fix though. I suspect this may be affecting a lot of people that just don't realize it yet.

For what it's worth, here's what I've discovered and a band-aid fix:
    Not all of my contacts are affected. The problem shows up consistanly on those contacts that are affected though.
    If I try to edit an affected contact on the 650, the changes are not saved.
    If I edit an affected contact on the Desktop, it will be updated when I hotsync. Still remains 'locked' on the 650 though and can't be edited.
    If I use the Duplicate contact command, I get a msg reading "The data storage of the handheld is full" and the 650 will soft reset.
    dbScan doesn't appear to fix the problem (hopefully I'm using it correctly).
    I've erased everything but a known affected contact from my database (ie. I only have one contact now) and I still get the memory error.
    I don't see any common trait to contacts that are affected (photo/no photo, # of phone numbers, # of email addresses, etc.)
    From the desktop, I've erased all contact info (address, title, phone #, etc.) from an affected contact other than the name itself, and the problem still exists.
    I can restore using a BackupBuddy checkpoint from the beginning of the year (apparently before the problem developed).
    Recreating the database from the Desktop by exporting to an .ABA file, deleting all contacts, syncing, import the .ABA file, syncing - does not fix the problem.
    Recreating the database from the Desktop by exporting to an .CSV file, deleting all contacts, syncing, import the .CSV file, syncing - DOES appear to fix the problem. However, you will lose some info (photos, address type W, H, O ...)

-Tim
    I have run into this several times. Some other program has corrupted the database. For me it was Ringo once and Lightwav once. I did have to do the import export routine to restore the database. I have since given up on ringtone managers and have not seen the issue since.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Hate to reply with this, but do y'all use DA from R. Whitt? Fantastic prog, but an issue with ver or two.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Tim,

I tried to "Duplicate Contact" and it soft reset (caused by contacts): Datamgr.c,Line:11439 Index out of range

Did you have DA (Directory Assistant) installed?

I'm hoping there's another option besides exporting to csv and reimporting.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    sblanter,

I do use DA, have you had the same problem before? Is there a version of DA that doesn't cause this problem?

Will uninstalling DA fix it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    kvsnut,

Yes, I have Directory Assistant installed. Looking back through my backup checkpoints it looks like version 3.10 was installed when the problem started showing up.

I found this thread where sblanter talks about DA corrupting the contacts database.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=120029

I have also noticed the pause effect that is mentioned in that thread and my database file is 697k for 2800 entries (only a couple have photos). Spot checking several of the entries with FileZ I found at least one is abnormally large.

I know at least some of the corrupted entries were not created by DA though. Perhaps it somehow corrupted them anyways?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I followed your link - thanks

So the two confirmed methods to remedy the problem are:

1. To export all contacts from Palm desktop to a CSV file. Clear the DB (not sure which method is best) and import csv file. Downside is that some info may be lost - contacts pictures, type of address etc.

2. To manually review each record (thru filez) and manually delete (after writing down the info) any large (or locked) record and readd manually

Is this correct or are there any better ideas?

Thanks
    Read that thread again. It really wasn't all that hard or time consuming.

BUT, if you hotsync (I don't) there may be a better option (I think someone posted about it in that same thread). I think it was: Hotsync, delete contactsdb on the Treo (probably not be necessary because of next step), set PC to DT overwrites HH for appropriate conduit, hotsync again. I think this may work if hotsync doesn't sync the crap in the corrupt records.

New version of DA will not correct existing corrupted records. DBscan didn't (for me) either.

BTW, DA is a great program, do donate & d/l the newest version (I think 3.24).
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Tried deleting the conctactsdb file on the Treo and then syncing (with overwrite treo) - I confirmed my contacts were deleted but after syncing the contacts were back but same size (191k 497 records) and same problem.

any ideas appreciated? Beam all to another handheld and then beam back.

Sync with another friendly program then delete?
    I've been through this on several forums with several phones. There is no known cause, and the only thing you can do is identify the problem contacts by scrolling the contacts list and the ones that "slow down" the scrolling are the bad ones. For those contacts, you have to delete and manually re-add.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I used FileZ to delete the file called ContactsSimDB-PAdd and so far that has worked.
    -Cloy