1.    #1  
    So my 700p was acting up, people couldn't hear me, I could only hear them with a wired headset, no sounds out of games but the ringer generally worked. It might have been software (I hadn't even done a hard reset) but I had also not been impressed with my being able to hear since I first got the phone so I went to the store.

I took it in, he said it'd be about a half hour. I made him promise that if they had to do a hard reset and it didn't fix the problem that they better have a phone in stock to replace it with. 30 minutes later I had a new phone, I honestly thought they just didn't know what to do with it being the Treo and all. But when I realized they hadn't hard reset my old phone (and I wasn't leaving my data on it) I had to ask the tech how to reset it (I couldn't remember what button to hold down) and she knew. It was active and my vision was working by the time I got home.

So far I'm good. I did have to do a reset to get the USB port to sync (I hope that's not a problem).

It did take more than a few minutes to get the people at *2 to get me a PRL update (it had 20221 and 20223 is the latest). He kept telling me I was fine and I did insist the it was not (it's a new phone out of the box, it's not likely to have the latest, duh?) I was even clearly telling them it was back two versions. I'll never understand why this is such a trick to get them to do this. He's like just dial *2 and say "PRL Update" which I told him "that's what I told Claire and she connected me to you!".

I'm doing a HotSync so I'll post this and go see how it's going so far....

Oh! And since I was messing with resetting my old phone, I accidentally walked off with the other stylus, so I got a spare for my troubles

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  2.    #2  
    Sound seems fine after the update. But as usual syncing with the computer wasn't perfect I see a few things aren't there (like TealMaster and TealLauncher).

So I synced again and new I get a "Contacts synchronization fail. Protocol error. Too many files (4403)" I think it's an Addit Manager problem. FYI - ALl my contacts seem to be here.

Plus AvantGo is complaining I need to update so obviously it's didn't install the latest version of something there, sigh...

I see I'm missing a few more files that I probably downloaded directly to the Palm or BlueTooth beamed from my laptop, why aren't those backed up on the my Windows desktop (I'm using the software that shipped on the CD).

This is why I don't like to do the hard resets...

It's two hours later and I'm sure I have many more to go...

So while my exchange experience went okay, the restore is still problematic...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    It's nice they are finally keeping Treo inventory in the stores. When my 4-day-old 700p was unusable at the beginning of July - Corporate stores in the middle of a heavily tech urban core had not a one in stock to replace it with. The first store didn't even have a 650 to sell me - "they're replaced by the 700p." In other words - they pulled the 650 before getting adequate stock of the 700p.

Your experience gives me hope I won't have to put business on hold for another few days for lack of a phone next time my 700p goes kaput.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    This is why I don't like to do the hard resets...

It's two hours later and I'm sure I have many more to go...

So while my exchange experience went okay, the restore is still problematic...

Gary
    I learned long ago to use a good backup program (I prefer backupman) and backup an image of my Treo to SD then hard (or zero-out) reset before handing my device to any Sprint tech. The lazier (or less-trained) ones will always blame third-party applications as the source of *any* problem with a Treo. Resetting before you hand it to them makes them work harder. Also - with a full image on your SD - you just pop it into your new (or old) phone, restore, and you're back up and running in minutes. Your experience here has shown you the unfortunate state of restores via hotsync....still better than Windows Mobile...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Yet another program that should be built into the ROM

What's your recommendation for a backup program?

Gary