1.    #1  
    I'm pretty new to the Visor world, and am slowly learning about all the different programs and add-on's. I've gotten ahold of the Peanut Reader for trying out ebook stuff. What I'm wondering is, is there a way to take just a plain text file on my PC and turn it into something readable by the Peanut Reader, or some other reader, on my Visor? Can they handle just plain text, and if so, how do I get the text file onto the Visor? Or if it needs to be in some special format, how do I accomplish that (cheaply)?
    You could download iSilo free and iSilo web from www.isilo.com. iSilo free is a document reader (iSilo and AportisDoc formats), and iSilo web is a Windows program that lets you convert HTML and .txt files to iSilo format. It's free too.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    There are document readers that make it possible to read regular text files, Word files, etc. on your device. I use iambic Reader for this. The cost is $19.95 and you can get it from www.iambic.com. You will also want to download the iambic Reader Desktop Tools program which is a free add-on.

To get text files to your device to read them, use the Reader Manager (desktop interface that's part of the Desktop Tools). You just pick the text file you want to transfer to your device (you can browse through your files and add it, type in the file name or drag and drop the file in the manager), hit the HotSync button and the tools will automatically convert the file into .DOC format (readable format for any Palm OS device) and synchronize it with your handheld. Open iambic Reader after HotSync and you'll see the file listed there. Just open the text file and read on!

Just FYI, this program reads HTML files and HTML tables, web pages, e-books, Word documents, and text files.

Hope that helps.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks folks. I'll take a look at iSilo and Iambic and see how they work.
    Originally posted by Morbius
    What I'm wondering is, is there a way to take just a plain text file on my PC and turn it into something readable by the Peanut Reader, or some other reader, on my Visor? Can they handle just plain text, and if so, how do I get the text file onto the Visor?
    For Palm-DOC file readers (e.g. CSpotRun) check out MakeDocW here or on PalmGear. Peanut Reader and iSilo can also read Palm-DOC files, in addition to their own file format.
    I use an alternative hotsync program called PINSTALL, it will convert TXT , bpm, jpgs on the fly so you can use them on you Visor.. No preconversion necessary.. however it doesn't seem to compress the txt files as well as iSilo. but worth a look if you just want to install a game or an application and don't want to do a FULL hotsync!
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the help eveyone. The MakeDocW program seems to do just what I wanted.