1.    #1  
    I'm looking for people who used to be a BlackBerry owner and now has moved to the Palm Treo 700P.

How is the Treo as a phone?

Is email ok (Snapper or Versa) Push versus "go get it" for email.

OS stability.

Anything else you can add would be great.
  2.    #2  
    Also battery life.
    Me. T-Mo 7230 to Treo 650.

Vastly superior user experience. I think if you're in a big shop that has a BES the BB might be good but if you are not the Treo is better.

Full OTA sync of everything (as you get with BES) doesn't happen on the Treo. The best you'll get is OTA sync to Outlook email, contact, calendar to your Exchange Server with Versamail 3.5.

You can get BB-level push email with Chatter.

Battery life is less than my 7230 but then I'm getting so much more functionality on the Treo. A battery lasts me all day. I have a spare battery that I carry on trips, too.

All in all a good switch for me. I like not having the scroll wheel. You'll find that you get things done more efficiently on the Treo because of intelligent design choices made by Palm, and the touch screen.
    I made the switch from nextel 7100i. My decision was mostly based on pricing plans. I'm saving about $50-$60 a month. but I'm more than satisfied with my 700p. not a lot of apps yet, but the ease of use is superb. 1 handed navigation is better than the BB. & I'm surprised @ how good the call quality is. If your looking into making the switch, I suggest you do your homework & weigh your options. but I can honestly say that besides push email these two phones are miles apart.
    I have and currently use a Blackberry (7200 series) and Treo 700p. Both have strenghts and weaknesses.

Nothing beats the reliability and simplicity of the blackberry. It doesn't freeze, is very intuitive to use and is generally more solid feeling. I type about twice as fast on the blackberry as I do on the treo. It's a work horse and doesn't make a fuss. But it's got limited functionality, such as no frills, an ancient internet browser and weak Office attachment viewer.

My treo on the other hand can do a lot more but does nothing exceptionally. Email is clunky, mp3 playing skips, the things freezes for a few seconds randomly and I'm afraid to drop it. But in theory it can do just about anything (email, contacts, calendar just like a blackberry, but also mp3, video, IM, camera, internet, office attachments, and all possible palm software.

At the end of the day it comes down to your needs and what you value. If you value stability and simplicity, and don't need a lot of the other non-work-related functionality, blackberry all the way. If you value the other stuff, stick with the treo. An ideal world would have a blackberry with the treo's functionality, but my gut tells me the treo has issues it does because it's gotta do so much, so a blackberry that has to do too much would have the same issues.

The newer blackberries (8700s) have much better integrated phones, better screens, bluetooth, and overall better functionality. My treo is just as tempremental as my 600 and 650 were, but I can't seem to let it go.
    I had a treo, switched to a blackberry, and then switched back with the 700p.

petesamprs is right in that treo is a jack of all trades and master of none. But, that is the nature of smartphones, regardless of operating system. For a little device that does everything, one must compromise.

The Blackberry was nice, but I didn't like that everything I did, even web browsing (which wasn't so hot) was tied to Blackberry's infrastructure. The fact that everything, regardless of what carrier you're on, depends on a center in Waterloo, ON to be fully operational was an issue with me. And, there have been several cases (particularly towards the end of the Blackberry patent dispute) that their systems went down mysteriously for a bit, causing every crackberry addict to be jonesin' for a while.

But the real clincher for me was that the Blackberry really ONLY does e-mail well. I really don't ask much of my smartphone; I don't play games often on it, and I don't expect to run dramatic powerpoint presentations or anything with it. Nor do I fill it to the gills with hacks. But, I do want it to do simple things, like, keep track of my checkbook balance so I can enter purchases and deposits as they happen and see my balance right then and there, instead of hanging onto receipts and balancing the checkbook when I get home. Or, I'd like to have a built-in calendar function that doesn't require me to use Outlook if I don't want to use it. Having a cell phone camera would be nice, too.

The blackberries I tried did none of these things well, if at all. the Treos did, however. So I went back.

And as an added bonus, I was still able to keep my push e-mail. Sprint Business Connection does the same thing that Blackberry e-mail did, only it costs about $25 a month less than what RIM makes the wireless carriers charge for it. Or if chose to, I could make a one time payment for snappermail or some other onboard e-mail client, and just have it check my inbox periodically. It's not isntant, but for many people, a dip into the inbox once every 15 minutes or so is enough.

So, I have my 700p, and am happier with it than I was with the Blackberries.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Full OTA sync of everything (as you get with BES) doesn't happen on the Treo. The best you'll get is OTA sync to Outlook email, contact, calendar to your Exchange Server with Versamail 3.5.
    I can do over the air sync with my Exchange Server!! I didn't realize that. I thought I had to have client software on my Desktop (which wouldn't be the Server). Which option do I pick for that (the Exchange Active Sync?)?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I had 3 BlackBerries before I bought my first Treo last year (650). I've since upgrated to a 700P and I'm never going back. Ever. The phone quality of ALL my BB's was horrible, and I felt they were just not enough PHONE for me. I do tend to use the data side more than the voice, but I don't want to have to fumble through a complicated ordeal just to use my cell. Also, As far as functionality is concerned, the BB is WAAAAY behind both Palm and Windows Mobile. Just my $.02...

Javier
    Sprint Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    I can do over the air sync with my Exchange Server!! I didn't realize that.
    Wow this does work! It's awesome.
    • It's amazingly fast.
    • The e-mail seems to be great.
    • The calendar seems to sync more in the past than the future. Stuff past seems to go back and forth (for the range you define) but stuff from the future only seems to go from Exchange to the Palm (but not from the Palm, to Exchange). This is strange in that appointments from the future are the ones I'm more concerned about.
    • I got ALL my contacts to duplicate although this didn't surprise me, it's always hard to match up the fields and I can see how it gets confused. The people who have lots of numbers didn't get them all to sync back to the palm (they were in exchange previously). You can I'm not sure how to get around this.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    I have both, a BB for work and my personal 700p. The BB sux plain and simple. T-mobile as a phone is one of the worst carriers I've used. HOWEVER, for what the company pays for the BB's use of e-mail it does the trick. No more, no less. To me it;s like apples and lemons.
    Gary, glad you got Versamail 3.5 to work.

I liked the Blackberry 72xx phone's keyboard. That's all, the end. Oh. I bought it off Craigslist for cheap so I didn't mind when I dropped it.

I think RIM has trouble ahead. Can they do handsets as well as Moto, Samsung, Palm, HTC, etc.? No. Nor can they do handsets cheaper due to lower unit sales. They've got middleware but Microsoft will beat them out of that niche in a couple of years. The carriers like BB because it is extra revenue from customers, but they have to share the revenue with RiM, while the Exchange Server solution means that the carriers sell data plans and keep all the revenue.

I don't own RIM stock. I am not a stock pimp. But from an end user's perspective BB offers me little.

Since I am typical of every other person on the planet, no one will ever buy a BB. And everyone will have a turkey sandwich so we face an immediate threat of turkey extinction. Sell RIMM, go long turkey futures.
    I do Full OTA HotSyncs all the time. You just have to have the bandwdth to support it.
    I do Full OTA HotSyncs all the time. You just have to have the upstream bandwdth to support it and my 700p with EVDO handles the download just fine.
    I am a long time fan of the BB's. I missed a lot of the features switching over to the 700p.

Things i miss most in the BB that the Treo does not have.

-Dialing/emailing from text.
    -easy to use email
    -easy to use keyboard
    -stable os
    -fast os
    -fast simple one handed use
    -no antenna
    -battery life would last a few days of heavy use
    -looking up a contact by company, last name or first. (treo can not do this without 3rd part software.)
    -BB are much cheaper given that they don't require 3rd part software or a million cases before you find the right one.
    -BB are smaller and have a lower profile

What I like about the 700p that the BB doesn't have.

-camera/video
    -speakerphone (new bb models have this)
    -easy to use and read calander with color coding (most important to me for quick glimps of my month)
    -much better looking then any BB
    -better voice quaility and voice vol.
    -i can use it on long trips as an entertainment tool for movies and audio

I am happy with my switch but with BB coming out with the 8100. I will be happy to go back to BB. Can't think of a better phone then the 8100. BB OS, Q type form factor, Treo type fuctions.
    Side notes on this whole remote Exchange Access thing:

1) The weird thing is I can get my Mac to remote sync to the Exchange server (nothing to do with the Palm) but I've never been able to get a Windows machine at home to remote sync with Exchange.

2) Blackberry has a remote web interface to sync mail (without BES) but I don't think it'll do appointments or contacts (which is odd).

Gary
    Okay, so I'm not liking this as much as I thought. It seems to have hijacked my appointments and calendars so that they don't want to sync with my desktop applications any more. There doesn't seem to be anyway to turn this off. I was pretty panic stricken for a bit and then I saw a tip to run another piece of software that would de-hijack it, it was actually just a side effect, not intended to fix this progran. (I think it was DBscan from the folks who make DATEBK)

It worked, just not enough to suit my needs. It would probably work well for staff at work and then they'd never need to sync with their desktop. Maybe if I had a treo specifically for work...

Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo1234 View Post
    Things i miss most in the BB that the Treo does not have.

-Dialing/emailing from text.
    -easy to use email
    -easy to use keyboard
    Funny, *my* Treo 700p has the above features. ANd I've used the RIM 950, RIM 7250, and 7130c.

-stable os
    -fast os
    -fast simple one handed use
    These seem to be rather subjective and subject to opinion. I certainly never found the BB os to be fast, or particularly easy to use. I had some e-mails that took forever to parse on the BB, while I have not had this issue with the Treos. Sos did changing themes, particularly on the 7130c. And the click wheel... well, that's a steep learning curve, and I found to be more of a hindrance and a bottleneck than a help. Navigating could be so much faster on a BB if it just offered the option of a stylus.

And stability and speed have improved singificantly on the 700p.

-no antenna
    THIS I agree with. The antenna isn't terribyl bad, but it is a point for the treo to hang up on things whiel on my belt. Fortuantely it seems lie future designs omit the stub.

-battery life would last a few days of heavy use
    Heh! I constantly had to charge my BB. I see no difference at all in battery life.

-looking up a contact by company, last name or first. (treo can not do this without 3rd part software.)
    Huh? Alt-Shift is not third-party software.
    -BB are much cheaper given that they don't require 3rd part software or a million cases before you find the right one.
    Probably because there's VERY little third party software for BB. And if you only want e-mail and very basic web browsing, then no, you don't need thirdy party software. But then, the 700p comes with all of that out of box, too.

-BB are smaller and have a lower profile
    The 7100 series, yes. Not so about the others though.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    I had the opportunity to use both the Treo 700p and the BlackBerry 8700g this past summer (Treo was mine; Blackberry was supplied by my firm), and I too have the same impressions that others on this thread have noted. The Blackberry was an amazingly stable and reliable device, but was more limited than the Treo in terms of its functionality and not nearly as customizable. I liked the fact that the BlackBerry did not have an external antenna, and the scroll-wheel is a nice feature, but on the whole I prefer the Treo's design; it's more compact and I found the keyboard easier to use. The BlackBerry had amazing battery life, but this wasn't too big of a concern for me since the Treo battery lasted the whole day and I charged both devices every night. The most significant advantage of the BlackBerry over the Treo is its reliability; it never once froze up or produced strange errors, whereas buggy behavior was more frequent on my Treo (though this will probably be remedied somewhat when Palm releases a firmware update). The most significant advantage of the Treo over the BlackBerry is its versatility; the BlackBerry does not have an expansion slot, camera, or multimedia capabilities, nor is there an abundance of third-party software available for it. The only thing the Treo lacks in this department is MS Exchange support with "push" e-mail functionality (though Mark Blanc is apparently incorporating support for Exchange calendar/contacts sync in the next version of Chatter, which already supports "push" with Exchange e-mail).

Overall, I prefer the Treo. RIM has set out to dominate the enterprise market, and succeeded in doing so, by perfecting the functionality and core features that businesses rely upon; the BlackBerry does fewer things but it does them very well. But I've always been a fan of the PalmOS, and the Treo's bugginess is not beyond the range of what's tolerable. The Treo's wealth of features and customization options make it a lot more "fun" than the BlackBerry.
    Last edited by FrankMurphy; 08/28/2006 at 12:57 AM.
    I have read through this whole thread and have a question. I have been using Palms and Treos for a long time. Love mine and couldn't live without it. However, I need to get something for a business associate and also maintain it (since I do the IT stuff).

This person is not very computer literate and does good to log on to windows and get his email and Internet. I am trying to decide between the BB and a 650. He mainly needs to get emails and get on the Internet for weather and hurricane updates. He would not use most of the other capabilities of the Treo. We do not have an exchange server for our business. I would have to teach him how to use this and he would have to come to me for any problems or issues. We have Verizon.

Should I get him a Blackberry or a Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I have read through this whole thread and have a question. I have been using Palms and Treos for a long time. Love mine and couldn't live without it. However, I need to get something for a business associate and also maintain it (since I do the IT stuff).

This person is not very computer literate and does good to log on to windows and get his email and Internet. I am trying to decide between the BB and a 650. He mainly needs to get emails and get on the Internet for weather and hurricane updates. He would not use most of the other capabilities of the Treo. We do not have an exchange server for our business. I would have to teach him how to use this and he would have to come to me for any problems or issues. We have Verizon.

Should I get him a Blackberry or a Treo?
    "Get on the internet wor weather and hurricane updates" sounds like something that a Treo would do better than the BB. My experience with web browsing on the BB was not good. The 8700 might be a different situation though.

In terms of setting up email for this person, there are many options available on the Treo, some of which are free (use Versamail that comes bundled with the Treo) and some not (www.chatteremail.com being the favored example here).

Before I had an Exchange Server I used both the foo@tmo.blackberry.net and my foo@bar.com generic pop3 and imap company email. Setup of email on the Treo was ultrasimple. (Blackberry email setup is also simple obviously).

My wife is soooo non-tech that it's scary. Yet she's using a Treo 650 and thriving. The side benefit is that she's slowly using more of the other things that the Treo has to offer -- Contacts, Calendar. It is a constant source of wonderment to her that if she deletes an email on her Treo it is also deleted on the mailserver.

I think your non-tech person might have the same experience.