Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Has anyone performed a "Zero Out" reset on their 700p? According to the Palm website it says it's for the 650 only, but maybe the KB document isn't updated. It's more than a hard reset, it reformats internal memory wiping out extra data so it truly resets it to factory fresh. My question is does it wipe out my phone id/data etc? Meaning, will I have to call Sprint to reactivate the phone? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    Has anyone performed a "Zero Out" reset on their 700p? According to the Palm website it says it's for the 650 only, but maybe the KB document isn't updated. It's more than a hard reset, it reformats internal memory wiping out extra data so it truly resets it to factory fresh. My question is does it wipe out my phone id/data etc? Meaning, will I have to call Sprint to reactivate the phone? Thanks!
    It will be still active on the account, but you would need to reprogram the phone. I did a zero out reset using my msl and going throught the ##786#, menu button, then reset.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    What purpose does this serve that can't be accomplished through a hard reset?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Samboy, here's the direct URL:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...1,Case=obj(887)

From what I gather from this KB doc, a hard reset erases your data but there could be some residual. The zero out reset, completely rewrites non-volatile memory with zeros and ones to "eradicate" all traces of your data. Basically the same as a binary pass when purging old hard drives.
    Also a zero out reset deletes your phone number and other programming in the phone so you have to call Sprint and use your MSL to get information back into it. With a hard reset, the phone number and programming stay in the phone.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    What's MSL stand for? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    What's MSL stand for? Thanks!
    What is an MSL code?
    Sprint, as well as other wireless carriers, lock their phones with a 6-digit code. Most carriers call it the SPC or Subsidy Provider Code, Sprint had to be special and call it the MSL code or Master Subsidy Lock code.
    -- cellphonehacks.com
    I don't believe a zero out reset will require you to call Sprint as I have zero out my old 650 plenty of times and restoring from a back up puts everything back to my phone including MSID etc. I don't see why this would change on the 700.