Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The company that creates it is called Hampton Software LTD, and the product is called Articulation, and you can read more about it here:

http://www.hamptonsoftware.co.uk/articulation/

Long and the short, they claim full SIP compliance, and can run across WiFi, Bluetooth, EDGE and GPRS (yes, it is a european company. No mention of 1xRTT or EVDO).

I tried it briefly on my Treo 650 (Sprint), and it was unfortunately unusable for me. The product gives you two test numbers, a echo test and a time test. When the calls got through, they sounded beautiful (much better than normal cell). However, those moments are short and hard to come by, when it starts breaking up with too much blanking and jitter. I encourage others to try also. Who knows, maybe it is my area.

Two possible glimmers of hope came through, however. The product today uses the GSM and G.711 codecs. Perhaps G.729 in the future could yeald something better out of my poor 1xRTT line. Also, theyc claim that they are working on getting the 700p working also, so maybe some EVDO action may help.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    It dials and connects but I get no voice. I've tried adjusting the settings as per the website's troubleshooting section but no dice: must be my carrier's (TSTT bmobile) network. I will have to try it with my T3 and Wi-Fi later...

Also, according to the website's forum, an administrator got it to work with Skype, albeit with some latency.

This seems like a great app. Too bad my network apparently doesn't let it work...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Anyone get Hampton software to work with Verizon Wireless Nationa Access?

If you do, please post a "how-to".
  5.    #5  
    One wierd problem I have uncovered. If you have the ringer switch set to silent, the program wont work. Or, at least, you wont be able to hear anything.
    Has anyone gotten it to work on the 700p?
    Website says does not support the 700p, i guess it will funk it out. Ill let ya know :-D
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Ah crud... my carrier is blocking the required ports. I'll have to try out the local competion...
  9.    #9  
    How 'bout this. If anybody actually gets this to work on their Treo, please let us know. I think that we are out of luck until we either get this running on an EVDO or UMTS Treo.
    • Did Anybody get it to work on T-Mobile Wirless USA
    Using the 'T-Zones' Proxy?
    • By the way, which port is this connecting to SIP?
    • What's the optimum 'kbps' to handle a VOIP call?

Using Treo 650 (Palm OS)
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane View Post
    How 'bout this. If anybody actually gets this to work on their Treo, please let us know. I think that we are out of luck until we either get this running on an EVDO or UMTS Treo.
    I'm able to make clear calls using both Sipphone and InternetCalls.com, though the former was significantly better than the latter.

12.    #12  
    Who is your carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    I'm able to make clear calls using both Sipphone and InternetCalls.com, though the former was significantly better than the latter.
    Is this relevant to the world of TreoCentral? Unless I'm missing something (which is certainly possible), their software only runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333 View Post
    Is this relevant to the world of TreoCentral? Unless I'm missing something (which is certainly possible), their software only runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.
    Yes, you are missing something. Sipphone and InternetCalls.com are VoIP providers. The software that we are talking about runs on PalmOS, and is called Articulation.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that Sipphone is also a voip product as well.
  15.    #15  
    By the way, I checked up on them, and there was a new release, v1.1.6. I tried the echo test and the time test, again using Sprint 1xRTT, and it almost seemed usable. It still seemed rough around the edges; putting the call on speakerphone caused a feedback echo that was wierd.

All in all, I think in a release or two, this could actually be viable. I can't wait for them to fully support the 700. This probably rocks on EVDO.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Well, they now claim to support the Treo 600, 650, and the 700p:

http://www.hamptonsoftware.co.uk/art...latforms.shtml

Has anyone tried this with EVDO?
    I just tried version 1.1.9 on T650 with bluetooth network connection on a pc and worked well.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    What is the benefit of using VoIP on your Treo? Does it save you anything in terms of time and data usage on your specific plan?

I am confused why anyone would want to use VoIP on a Treo when you have to pay for voice and data usage anyway.

I use VoIP at home and it is the best! I pay just $35.00/month (Primus) and I can make unlimited long distance calls to the US and Canada - plus a host of other features.

Anyway, please enlighten me as to why you would want to use it on a PDA considering that you have to pay for voice and data anyway.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    It did not work for me - on my Treo 700p and on Zire it gives me resets. Now I am settled with VOYP - seems good and more functional than Articulate http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124201

And VOYP site is http://www.palmvoip.ca - seems like PalmGear is e-blasting it with a $10 discount http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...&prodID=125678

- $5
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    What is the benefit of using VoIP on your Treo? Does it save you anything in terms of time and data usage on your specific plan?

I am confused why anyone would want to use VoIP on a Treo when you have to pay for voice and data usage anyway.

I use VoIP at home and it is the best! I pay just $35.00/month (Primus) and I can make unlimited long distance calls to the US and Canada - plus a host of other features.

Anyway, please enlighten me as to why you would want to use it on a PDA considering that you have to pay for voice and data anyway.
    In the US, most data plan is fixed, so this is a good deal. If one already has a VOIP service at home, then it can also be used on the Treo as well.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast