Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The first two of these do not a good combination make, as I learned last night at 6:30 while taking my boat from the water. As I jumped off the boat onto the trailer, the Treo slipped off my waist and landed in what seemed like slow motion on the horizontal platfrom of the trailer, then delicately plopped into a foot of water. Although I retrieved it within 15 seconds, dried it as best I could and screamed loudly enough that my 6 year-old thought I'd been bitten by a shark, it was dead.

Called Assurion at 6:50 last night. My new Treo arrived at 3 pm today, one day earlier than promised. That is service! Say what you want about the merits of having or not having insurance, but $50 versus $499 is a mathematical no-brainer. Assurion came through in spades for me.
    I read this on vacation as I was about to go to the beach with Mr. Treo. He stays at home. Uninsured.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    you can go swimming with you treo if its in an aquapouch (might be aquasack) . look it up under cases.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    Called Assurion at 6:50 last night. My new Treo arrived at 3 pm today, one day earlier than promised. That is service! Say what you want about the merits of having or not having insurance, but $50 versus $499 is a mathematical no-brainer. Assurion came through in spades for me.
    You beat me by three hours. My TREO 650 went into the TOILET at about 8:15 last night. I called Assurion a little after nine and my TREP 700P will arrive tomorrow.

You really cannot argue with their service.

b.b.
    This happened during a throne post no doubt.
    FYI on salt water and electronics. It may be possible to save something that's been dunked if you can immediately pull the battery and then immerse the device in clean tap water to get the salt out of it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Asurion has extremely great service. They were more then helpful when I dealt with them as well. Its nice for a change to get good service.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    is Assurion the insurance that I got through Sprint? I did take the insurance when I bought the phone so is that the same company?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    FYI on salt water and electronics. It may be possible to save something that's been dunked if you can immediately pull the battery and then immerse the device in clean tap water to get the salt out of it.
    I tried this, and surprisingly the next day it did power up, some functions worked and it tried valiantly to connect to service, but there was still moisture under the screen rendering the touch points of the screen useless.
    You have to be very thorough in drying out electronics....if you have a convection oven available, you can literally put it in the oven at about 150 degrees (not hot enough to melt anything) and the convection and hot air will dry it out. I've saved a couple of cell phones this way, although luckily, never had the problem with my Treo.

Just make sure to get the battery out as soon as possible. If it powers up with water in it, you'll most likely fry something.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BorderBobNY View Post
    You beat me by three hours. My TREO 650 went into the TOILET at about 8:15 last night. I called Assurion a little after nine and my TREP 700P will arrive tomorrow.

You really cannot argue with their service.

b.b.
    so whick is worse? salt water or toidy water?
    or does it depend on what you ate?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    is Assurion the insurance that I got through Sprint? I did take the insurance when I bought the phone so is that the same company?
    No...if you got insurance through Sprint, the insurer is "LockLine" . However Sprint's version of insurance through them, provided it is of the $6.00/mo variety, also covers for water damage. I'm just not sure that they are as quick to replace your unit as the OP insurer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    so whick is worse? salt water or toidy water?
    or does it depend on what you ate?
    Hard to say. Thing is, 24 hours later the phone "seemed" fully functional again. It wouldn't connect to the network (it was stuck in "network search") but I figured that was because the insurance company "blacklisted" the device when I made the claim.

The 700P they sent me, OTOH, has been something less. Reset, reset reset. I don't know if I got a refurb (anyone know how you can tell?) but I am close to returning this to someone (I have 7 days)

b.b.
    How did you guys get Assurion insurance?
    TRG Pro -> m515 -> Tungsten E -> Palm TX -> Treo 700P
    sprint= ##rtn#
    VZN= #*#rtn#

These will inform you if you have a refurbished phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    sprint= ##rtn#
    VZN= #*#rtn#

OK...how/where do you input the ## sequence?
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    sprint= ##rtn#
    VZN= #*#rtn#

I did that. It gave me a warranty date of June 06 and at the bottom where it mentions refurbish on or by, I forget the exact wording, it is blank. I was kinda hoping it was a refurb because that might explain the operating system problems.

EDIT: Here is what the phone says

Reconditioned Status: No
    Reconditioned Date: (blank)
    Activation Date: (blank)

b.b.
    Last edited by BorderBobNY; 08/26/2006 at 11:33 PM.
    I picked up one of those Aquapac cases at REI the other month - haven't had the opportunity to test it on my yacht (probably because I don't have one), but it seems to seal tight and all buttons and sound worked well when testing. For $25 would recommend it for preventing water-prone accidents.I had to deal with Lockline on an ise recently with a 700p - and they seemed to deliver about as well as you describe for Assurian. In fact, my 700p was doing irrational repeating resets 3 days out of the box... maybe they cleaned off the screen, marked the ROM and shipped it to you?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    OK...how/where do you input the ## sequence?
    Just at the main phone page. Where you would normally dial a phone number. It will automatically detect the code and send you to the page.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I picked up one of those Aquapac cases at REI the other month - haven't had the opportunity to test it on my yacht (probably because I don't have one), but it seems to seal tight and all buttons and sound worked well when testing. For $25 would recommend it for preventing water-prone accidents.
    Be very careful with the Aquapac case. I take my Treo out with me kayaking and used the Aquacase in case of a mishap. Unfortunately, last weekend, I was waked by a powerboat, flipping the kayak and sending my Treo 600 into the river. Luckily (at least I thought) it was in the case right?

Well, ten minutes later I heard/felt this vibrating and pulled out my Treo only to notice that water had seeped into the case. The Treo was now just virbating non-stop due to the water. Still don't know how because the whole thing was sealed. In any event, despite my attempts to dry it out on the dashboard of my car--no luck--It was dead.

I went out and bought a 700P the next day but won't be bringing back out kayaking!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast