Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom SOAKED my 700p even though it was in a case, and under my t-shirt. I got totally drenched - not a single inch of me was dry when I exited the ride, and my little velcro pounch was FILLED with water. I popped out the battery asap. I will let it dry out for an overnight - hopefully it will come back to life.

In the meantime I am P*SSED. I certainly don't mind getting wet on a theme park ride, but getting so thoroughly drenched that you ruin PROTECTED electronic devices is NO FUN...
    in one of the earlier posts the person said assurion replaced their 650 with a 700p. did they offer or did you have to argue? only after sending me a bad reconditioned 650 and three times a 650 without a camera did they agree to semd me a 700?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    The Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom SOAKED my 700p even though it was in a case, and under my t-shirt. I got totally drenched - not a single inch of me was dry when I exited the ride, and my little velcro pounch was FILLED with water. I popped out the battery asap. I will let it dry out for an overnight - hopefully it will come back to life.

In the meantime I am P*SSED. I certainly don't mind getting wet on a theme park ride, but getting so thoroughly drenched that you ruin PROTECTED electronic devices is NO FUN...
    Hi Keefer Lucas!!

After the fact advice for next time -- when going to theme parks -- I always take along quart and 1 gallon zip locks for my electronic gear and wallet. Cheap, effective and easy to carry and use. . . . . . . .when I am heading onto a ride that has "water hazards" -- in they go.

Cheers, Perry.

Other Hints when a Treo dumps in water:

Remove battery IMMEDIATELY!

Dry thoroughly:

Open case and rinse with tap water if it fell in salt water.
    Drying in the oven (130 degrees or less) or in front of a fan is a good idea.
    A blow dryer is also a good option.
    The final touch should be 2 to 3 days on a window ledge in the sun inside a sealed zip lock with as many of those silica packets that come inside electronics packaging as you can find sealed inside the zip lock, as well. This process sucks out any moisture that may still be in between the screen layers or elsewhere in the device. . . . . . .

Once you feel that 100% of the moisture is gone -- plunk in the battery and see if you have saved the device. (There have been many success stories over the last two years posted on TC in this regard in prior threads.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/12/2006 at 07:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Keefer Lucas!!

After the fact advice for next time -- when going to theme parks -- I always take along quart and 1 gallon zip locks for my electronic gear and wallet. Cheap, effective and easy to carry and use. . . . . . . .when I am heading onto a ride that has "water hazards" -- in they go.
    Good advice, Perry. And welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    FYI on salt water and electronics. It may be possible to save something that's been dunked if you can immediately pull the battery and then immerse the device in clean tap water to get the salt out of it.
    Maybe someone can explain to me how dunking a water SENSITIVE piece of hardware into water again is suppose to help you. So how is putting your treo in water going to help you with salt water. I thought they were both water. If one is drier then the other please let me know
    Saltwater will cause more damage to the components and will leave a salt layer on the internal components. When you dunk it in water after removing the power source, you are rinsing that salt off. If you are lucky, it will still work after completely drying. There are a few stories here on TC about people completely dunking their Treo and having it work after a good drying.

More details:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=321492
    Last edited by stroths; 11/14/2006 at 09:10 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    What stroths said . . . .

Even dry salt will continue to corrode the internal metal parts -- you must rinse it out of there. With the battery removed -- you eliminate the power source that could cause the electronic parts to short out due to water causing extra "connections" between the circuits. . . .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12