1. mjf
    Dear Goodguy,
    When I installed Good 4.8 on my 700p, the Good apps were inserted first on the "All" Application Screen (the primary screen that I use to launch any of my apps). How can I reorder these to move them further down?

The reason I need to do this is that I usually keep Good off, only activating it when I need to once every couple of days. When I turn on the Treo, I hit the center button to de-activate the KeyGuard. However sometimes Keyguard is sluggish and I am not sure if it responded. If I happen to hit the Center button a second time, and the system finally catches up and accepts both presses, then Good is automatically launched. Once Good is launched this can take over a minute of time to activate, and then I need to do a soft reset to deactivate it!

So this is the reason I need to move the Good apps from the first position on my Application Screen.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by mjf; 08/23/2006 at 03:59 PM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
  2. Pow
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    It appears to me from the info screen that the applications are sorted by name. Catch being that the GoodLink icon has two spaces at the beginning of the name and the other Good apps have one space, moving them ahead of everything else. (Except for Quick Tour which is still on my 700p and falls ahead of Tasks.) I'm not certain how to do it as I have only had my unit for a few days now but I would think that if you can rename the items (remove the extra spaces, add spaces to desired items, etc.) you can tweak the order. HTH.

-Craig
  3. mjf
    Thanks Craig. I see what you mean-- when I look at Info there does appear to be a space in front of Good. However using the program FileZ which displays more finding information than Info, and lets you change file names, among other things, there are no leading spaces so I don't think that's it. Good eye though!!!

Thanks again.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
  4. mjf
    Dear Goodguy,
    Would still appreciate a response to this when you have a moment. Thank you.
    You cannot reorder the icons.
  6. mjf
    Thanks for your response. Per my original post-- that because the Good icon is installed first (not my choice)--- that inadvertently hitting the center button twice while inactivating keyguard can causing inadvertent launching of Goodlink, therefore, how about a suggestion to the designers for ver 5.0 (or 5.1 or 5.2) to allow user to re-order the icons?

Thanks again.
    Very good suggestion. Will forward it on.
  8. Pow
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Determining the order of the icons is something controlled in the PalmOS and it would probably be up to them to allow changing the order. Changing the name used in the icon display (and therefor where the icon would fall alphabetically) should be within control of Good and probably could be implemented without much issue.

At present renaming may not be supported directly, but where there is a will there is a way. Poking around with FileZ I was looking at a different app and found that the name used in the icon display is contained in resource tAIN #1000 of the PRC file. You can see this when using the FileZ hex editor, but you can't change it... the current version of FileZ only allows actual editing for database files I believe. I took the app and copied it to my PC, tracked down the proper icon name string in a full-fledged hex editor, changed it as desired then transferred the PRC back to my Treo. The program now showed up under a different name in the icon screen and in the appropriate alphabetical order for that new name. Looking at the GoodLink.prc program I found the same tAIN #1000 resource, and the data in there was " GoodLink". That is two leading spaces then GoodLink, no quotes. There is some sort of a control/end of field character at the end as well that should probably be left alone. So changing the order can be done, and should be possible with the GoodLink app as well. With this said...

*Warning!*
    I did not try this with the GoodLink PRC file, only a different PRC that wasn't a program that would run on my 700p as it was. I don't know if changing this one string impacts anything besides the way/order programs show up in the icon view. It is entirely possible that tinkering with this could break functionality of a component. If this is attempted be sure you have a backup of the program. Heck, editing the file could be a violation of the Good software licensing agreement to boot. Understand what you are getting yourself into if you try this.

I like to take things apart.

-Craig
  9. mjf
    Wow-- nice work Craig! Excellent hacking; hex editing and all! Since Murphy's law tends to follow me (along with several black clouds) when I try to tinker --at least half the time anyway--, I think I will use my current 'fix' till/if Good gets around to offering one.

My current work-around is to put a bunch of apps I use often in a new CATEGORY, and then using the drop down on Palm's launcher, display that category's icons as my default screen. That way when I turn on the Treo, the Good app is no longer the first one, so I won't launch it accidentally.

Thanks again Craig and GoodGuy.