Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hey, I am new hear and stumbled upon this message board.

Well I just purchased a metal case for my Treo 650, which I was very excited because it looks really cool. The problem I am having is that when I inserted my Treo in the metal casing, I get a "No Service" message and thus my phone doesn't work. When I take the Treo out of the casing, it finds Verizon and works perfectly. Is there some sort of glitch or signal problem when the Treo is in the casing?

I am little disapointed because I really want to protect my Treo with this neat metal casing but my phone will not work. Do you have any suggestions or am I just out of luck and should try something else?

HELP!
    mp3junkie,

First off, Welcome to the Board. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the case. I do not use a metal case for mine, I use one that came with the PPC (Cingular 8125) I had. I would be taking that case back or at least take it to the local phone shop in your area and have them put a treo in it to test and see if it does the same for them.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I can't imagine how a metal case would do anything other than block signal. Yes, metal cases may look nice but they're not for phones.
    Maybe the screw holding the antenna is missing... or maybe not tight enough... or maybe someone tampered with the antenna element...
    Does the metal case enclose the antenna? If the antenna sticks out of the case, it should still get reception, I would think.
    I can only say that my metal case does not interfere with my Cingular signal. Sorry I cannot be of any real help.
    Welcome mp3junkie! It's not so bad, at least you know the exact cause of your problem. There are hundreds of great cases for the Treo, so if you can't get it to work, return it and get another. The good thing is that that metal case helped you find this board and *that,* is not such a small deal.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/23/2006 at 10:25 AM.
    What case did you buy? I've heard of this with the aluminium cases, but not the magnesium one. I had the magnesium and never had a problem.
    Your correct to say that the aluminum/tin cases distort the signal, you better be close to the cell phone tower if you want to receive calls! Though they do protect your pda!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it alot. I'll see how things go and will probably have to send the case back. Again thanks for your comments.
    I never noticed a bit of difference in signal using my Innopocket Aluminum case. The antenna sticks out of the top.. There's probably a measurable difference, but in real world use I doubt it would be noticable.

I doubt it's the case.
    In another thread some people were having problems with signal after painting their cases with metalic spray paint, aparently most of the antenna on the treo is right behind where the little screw is that holds the antenna, so people had signal issues so it could be that the case is a major issue, even if the antenna is exposed.
    I remember reading a thread where someone painted their Treo case and after re-assembly had little to no signal. He slightly loosened the antenna screw and VOILA the signal miraculously reappeared. I would try that and see if it makes any difference...slightly tighten/loosen the antenna screw and see if it changes your signal strength inside/outside your case.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    I remember reading a thread where someone painted their Treo case and after re-assembly had little to no signal. He slightly loosened the antenna screw and VOILA the signal miraculously reappeared. I would try that and see if it makes any difference...slightly tighten/loosen the antenna screw and see if it changes your signal strength inside/outside your case.
    I'll try that. Thanks!