1.    #1  
    Greets all its been many months since ive scoured the bored. Heres an interesting upgrade question that I'd like to get alot of input on.

Currently I've been w/ T-mobile since 1998 (voicestream before that). Ive always been happy w/ the plans and prices T-Mobile has offered. I Basically have 1500 mins for about $45 + data + Hotspot plan. I pay about $90 overall after taxes. Now My Treo 600 which I've had since Feb 2004 Finally Broke. The Antennae broke off. The screw holding it down slowly overtime vibrated its way off. I would like to upgrade to a newer Treo. Here are my options:

A) Just get another refurb phone.
    B) Buy a Unlocked 650 and just upgrade to that
    C) Upgrade to a 700p on another Carrier (my likely choice is VerizonWireless)

My only fear w/ going to Verizon is that I will be paying more and getting less (opposite Tmobile term) but at the same time T-mobile and Palm doesnt seem to give a rats a$$ about their users. Currently the only 'supported' device for Tmobile is the T600. While I like T-mobiles plans/prices I hate how they arent upgrading their phones for their power users.

So I ask the general TreoCentral community what do you think that best bet for me would be. I can afford to pay more and get less though the wife wont be ultra thrilled about that.

All opinions are welcomed. thank you all.

-ncc1701p

Handspring/Visorphone---> Treo 600 --> ???
    Get the 700p. It's such a kick-*** device that even if you have to pay a little more it will be worth it.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    If you're looking for similar prices, try out Sprint. Sprint and T-Mobile are the cheaper when compared to the big two of Cingular and Verzion. I absolutely love my 700p on Sprint and EVDO is amazing.

Joe
    I dropped my 650 to its' death and needed to make that same decision. I went from T-Mobile to Verizon 700P. I can't believe how much faster it is & now I have insurance & support. I'm happy I made the switch. $$ aren't much more. $104 Tmobile (1500 min, unlim data, 1000 text, nights & weekends) to $110 Verizon (1350 min & rest same).
    600->700P = AWESOME. Well worth the money and highly recommended.

I'm almost certain that sprint's the cheapest for phone/data plans.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p
    Greets all its been many months since ive scoured the bored. Heres an interesting upgrade question that I'd like to get alot of input on.

Currently I've been w/ T-mobile...
    Well, you won't get the minutes that T-Mobile gives you, and you will lose the no contract $20 a month deal for the Starbucks hotspots, which is nice. On the other hand, as a new user you could probably make a deal with Sprint that will easily save you the cost of going to the $29 hotspot price, and you will have access to much improved technology which will offset the minutes to some extent. I think the pricing on Verizon is a bit excessive compared to Sprint although they do offer a bit better coverage (if you travel around a lot). So, if Sprint covers you where you live, I would probably go with them. Otherwise, you will most definitely be hit with sticker shock after T-Mobile.

Good Luck!
  7.    #7  
    Hey Copernicus,

Thanks for that good information. I will definitely take it to heart. I dont mind going to starbucks for T-mobile hotspot but im getting tired of it. If I stay w/ this job where I travel all over the dam country I might get the data card with that too. Just a question of Sprint vs VZW. I guess the end result is I'll have to go in both stores and price out similar plans and just compare. I know that anything above the T600 is going to be a quantum leap. My wife was complaining about how I would buy a phone every 2 years. I exlained how important it was for my work and that i skipped the 650... so ha.. We shall see. Thanks again for the info + prices
    I was in a similar situation. I had a 600 w T-Mo and ended up switching to a 700p w Sprint. I got the phone for $79 via the "Sprint Network" on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

After I had the phone for a billing cycle, I called Sprint and switched plans and added a corporate discount. The data plan is a lot cheaper with Sprint - $15 vs $49 or something with Verizon.

I loved the customer service with T-Mo (that Catherine Zeta-Jones runs a tight ship) and loathe Sprint's "customer service" but hey, I got a sweet phone at a sweet price.
  9.    #9  
    quote:
    A) Just get another refurb phone.
    B) Buy a Unlocked 650 and just upgrade to that
    C) Upgrade to a 700p on another Carrier (my likely choice is VerizonWireless)

Well I just called T-Mo. Unfortunately they dont offer refurb phones anymore. and at least my Plan/Contract runs out in November. I had a nice conversation w/ a person who I think was a rep for the "Why are you leaving us dept". She asked if I was interested in their SDA and unfortunately I am not a Windows-phone guy since obviously I'm posting in the PALM forum . Since Im a technophile and work in the industry its simple fact that you have to move on. If you stay on 1 thing forever we'd still all be running Windows 98 (LOL). So I guess I'll be moving to VZW or Sprint. I prefer VZW personally , i dont know why. This next device will be my 1st non GSM-based phone since the old motorola brick phones when I was on Cellular One.

Thanks to the bay area guys w/ alot of input. Im in the bay area now on work as a matter of fact. Gonna go find some stores to hit and price out plans. Thanks to all who replied!