1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I am getting ready to do the final install on my 700p.

I have tried about 40 programs, about 15-20 of which will go on my final set-up. My 4GB SD card arrived today, which is what I have been waiting for.

I am going to do a hard reset and install everything from scratch that I would like to keep.

My question is this, I have read of programs that allow you to install/launch apps on the Sd card rather than the internal memory. How does this differ from the typical set-up? Whan I sync my Treo and go to install a program, it gives me an option to install to main memory or internal. Is this just doing the same thing as these programs, or am I missing something?

I will continue to search here for an answer, and I would appreciate any advice on the subject.
    The main advantage for the 3rd party apps is so you can control what goes on the card and what stays in main memory. Not all app will run off the card.

I use PowerRun and install apps to main memory then use PowerRun to move then to the SD card. There are competitive solutions but if you do a search on PowerRun you will find discussions on all of them.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    The main advantage for the 3rd party apps is so you can control what goes on the card and what stays in main memory. Not all app will run off the card.

I use PowerRun and install apps to main memory then use PowerRun to move then to the SD card. There are competitive solutions but if you do a search on PowerRun you will find discussions on all of them.
    I have looked into POWERRUN as you have suggested. It looks like a useful app. It has not been updates since AUG 05 and I am wondering if it is compatible with the 700p. Have any 700 users tried it?

I am a novice to the PALM world and I am curious if there is a ballpark figure for how much free RAM you should have on your Treo? Even with all these apps installed I still have 50MB's free. Is this enough, or will I be well served to dump all/some of these programs onto the external card?

Thank you for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    I have looked into POWERRUN as you have suggested. Have any 700 users tried it?
    Runs great on my 700p. 100% compatible.
    I am a novice to the PALM world and I am curious if there is a ballpark figure for how much free RAM you should have on your Treo? Even with all these apps installed I still have 50MB's free. Is this enough, or will I be well served to dump all/some of these programs onto the external card?
    If you currently have 50MB free, you are doing great. I think I've seen people say 30MB free provides for good stability on the 700p but I'm sure many are running with much less and will chime in.

What all do you want to put on your Treo? I only keep in RAM apps that must run from there (Chatter e-mail, Butler, DateBk6, pTunes Deluxe, etc.). Most apps that do not use a wireless connection can be stored on the SD card and of course music, photos, videos, e-books, etc.
  5.    #5  
    Runs great on my 700p. 100% compatible.

If you currently have 50MB free, you are doing great. I think I've seen people say 30MB free provides for good stability on the 700p but I'm sure many are running with much less and will chime in.

What all do you want to put on your Treo? I only keep in RAM apps that must run from there (Chatter e-mail, Butler, DateBk6, pTunes Deluxe, etc.). Most apps that do not use a wireless connection can be stored on the SD card and of course music, photos, videos, e-books, etc.
    The Apps I will be adding

TreoAlarm- Alarms and weather updates (needs internet to update weather)

4info- similar to OnDemand (uses the internet to download all search results and data)

Blackjack- Game

Directory Assistant- lookup phone numbers and directions (needs internet)

eReader- eBooks

FileZ- File explorer

FlightStatus (needs internet)

KeyCaps600- keyboard utility

Key shades- Keyboard backlight utility

LJP- Nintendo emulator

NVBackup- Backup utility

Stopwatch- utility

T O O- turns cell radio on and off

Timing- stopwatch utility

TV Browser- TV listings (does not use internet)

Uninstall- frequently reminds user it cannot run from external card?? even when not doing so

VoiceDial

"Possibly" 2day and Zlauncher

Is it your suggestion that any of these apps that use the internet should stay in main memory? Many of these use the internet only when prompted to, and not automatically, does this matter?

Thank you.
    Last edited by CellGeek; 08/21/2006 at 08:21 PM.
    Hmm, I just copy the .prc to the SD when mounted in my Mac. With the PC I use the Install application and tell it to save it to the SD. No third party. I've had no problems doing that. Am I missing something?
    The Apps I will be adding...
    I use most of the apps you are suggesting. I did not comment on the others.

TreoAlarm- Keep in main memory

4info- Probably fine on the card

Blackjack- Probably fine on the card

Directory Assistant- Keep in main memory

eReader- I keep in main memory and put the books on the card

FileZ - Fine on the card

FlightStatus - Fine on the card

KeyCaps600- Keep in main memory

Key shades- Keep in main memory

NVBackup- Keep backup apps in main memory and a copy on your card

TV Browser- Fine on the card but if you downolad a lot of data (I do 13 days) then the app will launch faster in main memory

Uninstall- Keep in main memory

VoiceDial - Keep in main memory

"Possibly" 2day and Zlauncher - Keep in main memory
  8.    #8  
    I use most of the apps you are suggesting. I did not comment on the others.

TreoAlarm- Keep in main memory

4info- Probably fine on the card

Blackjack- Probably fine on the card

Directory Assistant- Keep in main memory

eReader- I keep in main memory and put the books on the card

FileZ - Fine on the card

FlightStatus - Fine on the card

KeyCaps600- Keep in main memory

Key shades- Keep in main memory

NVBackup- Keep backup apps in main memory and a copy on your card

TV Browser- Fine on the card but if you downolad a lot of data (I do 13 days) then the app will launch faster in main memory

Uninstall- Keep in main memory

VoiceDial - Keep in main memory

"Possibly" 2day and Zlauncher - Keep in main memory
    WOW you went above and beyond there!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that.

I will follow your advice and see how things go. I only do TV browser for 7 days, I cannot seem to get more. I believe you need some other format or sevice (The only service I know of that works is Evolve and they never have more than maybe 5 or 6 days ahead) What service do you use? Anyways the file is usually about .4 mb's, so I think it will be ok on the card.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate you taking so much time to do so.
    Last edited by CellGeek; 08/21/2006 at 10:56 PM.
    T O O- turns cell radio on and off
    TreoAlarm will also do this saving you some bits.
    I keep DA on the card without problems???
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE