1.    #1  
    http://mobilemag.com/content/100/349/C9163/

Will it work on the Treo?

Remember when SD cards were considered the smallest portable storage solution out there? And then we came across miniSD and, later, microSD? Now that technology has moved along, engineers are better able to exploit the "extra" space found in a standard SD card. The team at Eye-Film have taken a standard SD card, packed in a full gig of storage and -- much more notably -- WiFi connectivity. In fact, there's an 802.11g wireless chipset in there.

Previously, getting your WLAN on with an SD card required that ugly extra bulk at the end (SDIO cards), and they were designed for use on PDAs and smartphones. As such, you couldn't possibly use those cards on certain devices that had more "internal" SD slots, like digital cameras. This new innovation from Eye-Film eschews the extra bulk, and gives you high-speed WiFi in a standard SD card form.

At this time, they're working on letting you use the WiFi card -- which happens to have a full gigabyte of storage in its own right, maintaining its ability to stash your data -- for photography applications, though they may implement similar solutions for us in PDAs and smartphones down the line. No word on pricing.

There website, www.eye.fi describes that initially it will not support PDA's, but they will be looking into it.

I sent them an email inquiring on Treo 700p support, but I have failed to receive a response.

I hope it supports the Treo. If it does I'd be more than willing to shell out the money.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I wish this discussion would cease. There's never going to be a wifi card for the Access/Palm OS Treo.

Joe
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    why is that?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The OS does not support it!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r
    The OS does not support it!
    Not entirely true as the Palm T|X has Wi-Fi, the problem is handling Wi-Fi as well as Bluetooth and a CDMA/GSM radio, seems you can't have all three
    TazUk, why do you think it is not the OS? The 700w supports Wifi, BT, CDMA/GSM.
    the "w" doesn't have the PALM OS. It has Windows Mobile/Pocket PC.

(that was an easy one)
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Basically, WM's multitasking ability allows it to handle multiple radios better than PalmOS. PalmOS can only seem to handle one radio at a time (excluding bluetooth).
    I believe if the WiFi driver developer spent a little more time they'd have it. If there is an issue, just add a check to turn off the phone if it is on. Not too difficult with Palm's APIs.
    What I meant with my question is that the limitation must me the PalmOS since the 700W version can do WiFi. As for the WiFi developer, it happens to be Palm. Yup! The Palm WiFi card works on the 700w but no other Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Basically, WM's multitasking ability allows it to handle multiple radios better than PalmOS. PalmOS can only seem to handle one radio at a time (excluding bluetooth).
    I think Trevante hit it on the head. Palm OS can't juggle anymore at this point with the phone/EVDO/bluetooth. Probably more than they thought they could ever do back when the 600 came out without bluetooth. Must be why Palm is calling PalmSource on not meeting deadlines for the new OS.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    is there any way you can instal the wifi card on the treo700w without the usb wire that connects your phone to the computer?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    There website, www.eye.fi describes that initially it will not support PDA's, but they will be looking into it.

I sent them an email inquiring on Treo 700p support, but I have failed to receive a response.

I hope it supports the Treo. If it does I'd be more than willing to shell out the money.
    I wish they would follow up on this and make it compatible with my palm treo
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I wish they would follow up on this and make it compatible with my palm treo
    Even if they did make it compatible with the Treos, I don't think it'll satisfy the "use case" that Treo users are looking for. The eye-fi wireless card was specifically designed and implemented to be able to transport pictures from a card to specified upload locations (whether it's a PC or it's a standard photo-sharing website). In fact, since the Treo (at least my 700p which uses the DCIM folder) stores it's pictures in the same standard location as most digital cameras, I wouldn't be shocked if the card already "worked" in the Treo. Anyone try one in the Treo yet?

However, I think most people HERE are looking for the card to be able to provide a data connection between the Palm OS and whatever is connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot. It's clear that wasn't an intended use of the original design and it may not even be possible, as I think it would need to be an SDIO card just to be able to provide Wi-Fi services to it's parent device. As it's currently designed, I think it just looks like an SD card to whatever device it's sitting within. It just happens to have wi-fi chip plus a micro OS inside that allows it to transmit particular files (photos) off the card.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but based on it's design and the existing marketing literature, I wouldn't expect anything more than being able to snap pics with the Treo and then automatically wi-fi transferring the photos elsewhere.