View Poll Results: Battery Life Experience on 700p

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better than your 650.

    9 12.50%
  • About the same as your 650.

    13 18.06%
  • Noticably less than your 650.

    23 31.94%
  • Significantly less than your 650.

    24 33.33%
  • AND I've contacted Palm, VZW, Sprint about this issue.

    6 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1.    #1  
    After noticing I got maybe 1/3 the battery life of my 650 or 600 I started doing some reading. It looks like I'm not the only one.

    According the VZW website the 700p and 650 both have up to 270 min talktime and 300 hours standby.

    Are you kidding me??? This isn't even close!

    I left with a fully charged (new) battery and used up 18% of my battery to listen to pTunes for an hour and a half. On the 650 this might be ~7%. Yes the screen was off. I usually could go a day on the 650 and not go below 80% battery left. Now I will easily go below 50% with much lighter usage. (i.e. BT off)

    For the people who say the battery life is poor because of EVDO: I'm using 1xRTT. Only sprint has EVDO where I live (using VZW).

    And to the people that say you need to condition a new battery: I've done 3 full discharges and recharges (using my old 650 battery in between). And I get similar performance using the old (already 'conditioned') 650 battery.

    I've tried hard resets. Using minimal software. BT and Beam off, etc. Not leaving the data connection 'on' after using Blazer. It seemed just as bad before I installed Versamail, VolumeCare, mobileClock, or BackupMan. (I'm guessing they're the only progams I have installed that could constantly be running in the background.) VZW is sending me a replacement this week but I'm guessing since so many other people are having similar experiences it won't make any difference.

    Does anyone know if this is a good as the 700p will get? Can a firmware update address this problem? If I were in EVDO coverage would this be better?

    I noticed a utility on MyTreo.net called Battery Time. I'm planning on doing a test comparing 2 batteries on the 650 to the 700p. Has anyone already done this??
  2. #2  
    I wonder if they remember certain class action suit against a very popular music player's battery life. The consumer's won...

    Maybe someone out there is adventurous enough?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamero
    After noticing I got maybe 1/3 the battery life of my 650 or 600 I started doing some reading. It looks like I'm not the only one.

    According the VZW website the 700p and 650 both have up to 270 min talktime and 300 hours standby.

    Are you kidding me??? This isn't even close!

    I left with a fully charged (new) battery and used up 18% of my battery to listen to pTunes for an hour and a half. On the 650 this might be ~7%. Yes the screen was off. I usually could go a day on the 650 and not go below 80% battery left. Now I will easily go below 50% with much lighter usage. (i.e. BT off)

    For the people who say the battery life is poor because of EVDO: I'm using 1xRTT. Only sprint has EVDO where I live (using VZW).

    And to the people that say you need to condition a new battery: I've done 3 full discharges and recharges (using my old 650 battery in between). And I get similar performance using the old (already 'conditioned') 650 battery.

    I've tried hard resets. Using minimal software. BT and Beam off, etc. Not leaving the data connection 'on' after using Blazer. It seemed just as bad before I installed Versamail, VolumeCare, mobileClock, or BackupMan. (I'm guessing they're the only progams I have installed that could constantly be running in the background.) VZW is sending me a replacement this week but I'm guessing since so many other people are having similar experiences it won't make any difference.

    Does anyone know if this is a good as the 700p will get? Can a firmware update address this problem? If I were in EVDO coverage would this be better?

    I noticed a utility on MyTreo.net called Battery Time. I'm planning on doing a test comparing 2 batteries on the 650 to the 700p. Has anyone already done this??
    just made a road trip to detroit, ptunes lasted over 10 hours (12 i think) on a full charge.

    also, if you get through the day with 50% left, what is the big deal?
    and why compare 2 batteries, why not test each device with the same battery?
    i have noticed battery life is a bit worse on the 700p, but i will wait for a ROM update to complain about it. i beleive the 650 was the same way???
  4.    #4  
    4 tests total. Old & new battery on 650 then on 700p.

    and why compare 2 batteries, why not test each device with the same battery?
  5. #5  
    I remember that one of the original justifications of smaller amts of memory on devices was that you have a tradeoff between RAM and battery life. I would expect that to affect the 700p slightly. Also, personally, it's hard to compare because I have the phone and data and bluetooth on a lot.

    Still I think with my Seido extended battery, the 700p does approximately as well as my 650 did. But I made no actual measurements so it's hard to tell.
  6.    #6  
    Started a 41 minute call with 100% battery. (Data, BT, and Beam are OFF) After the call 68%. Doing the math (apx. .78% battery per minute) that would give me < 130 min talk time. Not even HALF of the 270 min mark.

    Still doing the tests with that battery testing program... Should have the results tomorrow.
  7. #7  
    Guys, it's not the battery. It's EVDO. I have 1 700p battery and 2 650 batteries. I also have a stand alone USB charger. I rotate my battery everyday. They give the same performance. But I personally feel the 700p run down the battery about 20-30% faster than the 650.

    With the 650, I can turn the light to low and literally browse the web for 30 minutes with only 5% of battery used.

    If you really want to do the test, turn the radio off before you run the test.
    Last edited by whatever7; 08/21/2006 at 05:45 PM.
  8.    #8  
    whatever7-- Are you saying the EVDO is making the battery life worse or better?

    (I'm stuck in an 1xRTT only area & still have battery problems)


    Guys, it's not the battery. It's EVDO.
  9. #9  
    I think the EVDO radio use a lot of bettry. When I use it for a while, for example when I download 3 podcast in a roll, the 700p actually gets hot like a laptop.

    I never had that with the 650.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamero
    Started a 41 minute call with 100% battery. (Data, BT, and Beam are OFF) After the call 68%. Doing the math (apx. .78% battery per minute) that would give me < 130 min talk time. Not even HALF of the 270 min mark.

    Still doing the tests with that battery testing program... Should have the results tomorrow.
    a more valid test would be to charge the battery and make a phone call until the battery runs out.
  11. #11  
    I did not use any utility, and have a Seido 2400mA extended battery. If I have ChatterEmailEX+(Average about 10-20 emails and Bluetooth enable (average 2 calls/day), my battery has 20% left at 6pm (Fully charged @8am).
    If I turned off only ChatterEmailEx (leaving bluetooh enable with same usage, I'll have about 35% left @6pm.
    when I turn both off, chatterEmailEx and bluetooth, I have about 55% battery left at 6pm. (still making those average 2 calls/day)

    For me, I can't completely disable ChatterEmailEX, so I have to live with it. For bluetooth, I'll disable it when I don't have access to my charger cable. I'll always leave my phone charged when I'm at my desk or at home. Sad, but I have to do that.

    Hopefully, the new update will give me more battery life. for now, I just try to work around it.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
  12. lazaruz's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #12  
    its not the evdo
    it the keyboard lites!
    once i installed kblightsoff my battery went from going down to 25% at the end of the day to 75% at the end of the day
    i am one very happy camper
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    its not the evdo
    it the keyboard lites!
    once i installed kblightsoff my battery went from going down to 25% at the end of the day to 75% at the end of the day
    i am one very happy camper
    Can anyone else confirm that they did this and had similar results? If so, that resolves my battery life concerns and I'm going to buy a 700p.
  14.    #14  
    Yes, I'd be interested in that information as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by SHaque View Post
    Can anyone else confirm that they did this and had similar results? If so, that resolves my battery life concerns and I'm going to buy a 700p.
  15. #15  
    I've used Keyshade hack with both the 650 and 700p and it makes a world of difference. Never really measured the difference quantitatively, but subjectively it certainly increases the time between charges.
  16.    #16  
    Well my battery tests are in! And they are surprising (if I did the math correctly)...

    With a new battery:
    650 - 6:38 (apx 20% longer)
    700 - 5:29

    With old 650 battery:
    650 - 3:19 (apx 24% longer)
    700 - 2:41

    (run times are in hh:mm)

    Much closer than I was expecting. Looks like a new battery can make a HUGE difference. Anyone have a Seidio 2400 mAh battery they want to donate for an 'official' test? haha



    To quote a famous website: "This whole thing is wildly inaccurate. Rounding errors, ballot stuffers, dynamic IPs, firewalls. If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane."
  17. Rob_T's Avatar
    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I've used Keyshade hack with both the 650 and 700p and it makes a world of difference. Never really measured the difference quantitatively, but subjectively it certainly increases the time between charges.

    Do you have a link to get "keyshade hack?"

    Never mind...perhaps this is it...http://mytreo.net/downloads/godownload-682-0.html
    Last edited by Rob_T; 08/24/2006 at 12:01 PM.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamero View Post
    Well my battery tests are in! And they are surprising (if I did the math correctly)...

    With a new battery:
    650 - 6:38 (apx 20% longer)
    700 - 5:29

    With old 650 battery:
    650 - 3:19 (apx 24% longer)
    700 - 2:41

    (run times are in hh:mm)

    Much closer than I was expecting. Looks like a new battery can make a HUGE difference. Anyone have a Seidio 2400 mAh battery they want to donate for an 'official' test? haha



    To quote a famous website: "This whole thing is wildly inaccurate. Rounding errors, ballot stuffers, dynamic IPs, firewalls. If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane."
    What's shocking is that the difference between the 650 and 700p is so huge. 20-25% is massive. I trust that they were both tested in 1xRTT so no EVDO excuses for the 700p.
  19. webedc's Avatar
    Posts
    492 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #19  
    To do the tests in 1xRTT only environment, may I suggest to manually turn off EV-DO by dialing #*#EVDO# (or ##EVDO# for Sprint) and check 'disable broadband'? This way the phone would not attempt to search for EVDO at all.

    Depending on how the EVDO-1xRTT switching software is coded, perhaps this may help save some battery juice for those who live/work in 1xRTT-only area! Who knows.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Do you have a link to get "keyshade hack?"

    Never mind...perhaps this is it...http://mytreo.net/downloads/godownload-682-0.html
    Look here:
    http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions