• Better than your 650.

9 12.50%
  • About the same as your 650.

13 18.06%
  • Noticably less than your 650.

23 31.94%
  • Significantly less than your 650.

24 33.33%
  • AND I've contacted Palm, VZW, Sprint about this issue.

6 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Guys, it's not the battery. It's EVDO. I have 1 700p battery and 2 650 batteries. I also have a stand alone USB charger. I rotate my battery everyday. They give the same performance. But I personally feel the 700p run down the battery about 20-30% faster than the 650.

With the 650, I can turn the light to low and literally browse the web for 30 minutes with only 5% of battery used.

If you really want to do the test, turn the radio off before you run the test.
    I agree, most of the battery drain does come from EVDO... I swap out my batteries as well from my 650, it's not the battery. Don't connect to EVDO for a day and you will see that your battery life is just as good as the 650's is. I went through this with my PPC-6700. Anyone who knows that phone knows that the battery life was miserable, espcecially coming from a 650. As long as the EVDO was not connected you were ok.
  2.    #22  
    Well I'm in an area that doesn't have EVDO at all. =( But I thankfully I do have great 1xRTT coverage with consistant bandwidth.

If anyone thinks it would make a noticable difference I could do another test when I'm in Houston (they have EVDO).

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    What's shocking is that the difference between the 650 and 700p is so huge. 20-25% is massive. I trust that they were both tested in 1xRTT so no EVDO excuses for the 700p.
  3.    #23  
    Since Verizon doesn't have EVDO here (Sprint does) I was really hoping that me checking 'Force Broadband' would have let me 'roam' on Sprint's EVDO. No such luck. With 'Disable Broadband' checked it still lets voice calls interrupt your data session (unlike the 650) instead of going to straight to voice mail.

I let you guys know if I notice any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    To do the tests in 1xRTT only environment, may I suggest to manually turn off EV-DO by dialing #*#EVDO# (or ##EVDO# for Sprint) and check 'disable broadband'? This way the phone would not attempt to search for EVDO at all.

Depending on how the EVDO-1xRTT switching software is coded, perhaps this may help save some battery juice for those who live/work in 1xRTT-only area! Who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    I agree, most of the battery drain does come from EVDO... I swap out my batteries as well from my 650, it's not the battery. Don't connect to EVDO for a day and you will see that your battery life is just as good as the 650's is. I went through this with my PPC-6700. Anyone who knows that phone knows that the battery life was miserable, espcecially coming from a 650. As long as the EVDO was not connected you were ok.
    You do know that he ran the test without EVDO, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I think the EVDO radio use a lot of bettry. When I use it for a while, for example when I download 3 podcast in a roll, the 700p actually gets hot like a laptop.

I never had that with the 650.
    I agree with you totally. Whenever I am having a data session, my 700 gets hot like my notebook.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    its not the evdo
    it the keyboard lites!
    once i installed kblightsoff my battery went from going down to 25% at the end of the day to 75% at the end of the day
    i am one very happy camper
    I have BrightCam and it disables my keyboard lights in light environments, and I have gotten better battery life but EVDO is taking up some juice also.
    at&t iPhone3G
    You do know that he ran the test without EVDO, right?
    I'm sorry for him... I've had no problems with battery life on my 700. I use 2 batteries from my 650 and the 700 battery, all hold up equally well until I start using EvDO. Then they drop off but that is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I agree with you totally. Whenever I am having a data session, my 700 gets hot like my notebook.

Another vote for the EvDO sucking the battery dry...

(I've had mine actually shut the screen down until it cooled off.)
    I'm sorry for him... I've had no problems with battery life on my 700. I use 2 batteries from my 650 and the 700 battery, all hold up equally well until I start using EvDO. Then they drop off but that is to be expected.
    Huh? 20-25% less battery life on the 700p when testing in 1xRTT.
    Huh? 20-25% less battery life on the 700p when testing in 1xRTT.
    Huh? What did you not understand? I said I have no problems with battery life unless I start using EvDO. Even then it's not that bad. I never said I was connected to any data connection.
    Huh? What did you not understand? I said I have no problems with battery life unless I start using EvDO. Even then it's not that bad. I never said I was connected to any data connection.
    Is there a way to turn off EvDO but keep internet access? If so , how?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmookid View Post
    Is there a way to turn off EvDO but keep internet access? If so , how?

EVDO does lessen the battery performance a little but not enough to want to disable it. If you are getting serious juice drainage...there is another culprit or more that is causing it that needs to be disabled. Is your Beam option on? Do you have any 3rd party apps running in the background...etc? I honestly get two full days on my 700p with medium data sessions and phone calls, and I have EVDO going full force even though it is still less than the 650 battery life...its not worth killing EVDO to sqeeze some more when its not the heavey issue.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    2 full days? On a stock battery?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I'm getting two full days too . . . with average call volume and some web surfing. I don't have chatter or any other email program setup . . . I manually check versamail with gmail or just go to the mobile gmail webpage. I use KBLightsOff and have bluetooth ON the whole time (which works GREAT with the Jabra BT500 as long as you don't turn BT off on the palm and I sync w/ BT too), 911 off, and IR off. Oh, and I am in an EVDO area (Houston). One more piece of data for the mix.
    TRG Pro -> m515 -> Tungsten E -> Palm TX -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarobap View Post
    I'm getting two full days too . . . with average call volume and some web surfing. I don't have chatter or any other email program setup . . . I manually check versamail with gmail or just go to the mobile gmail webpage. I use KBLightsOff and have bluetooth ON the whole time (which works GREAT with the Jabra BT500 as long as you don't turn BT off on the palm and I sync w/ BT too), 911 off, and IR off. Oh, and I am in an EVDO area (Houston). One more piece of data for the mix.
    Ditto...with the exception to KBLightsOff, I use BrightCam and I don't have bluetooth on...2 days baby with OEM battery.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I've always been pretty happy with my battery life on my Sprint 700p. I just had my phone swapped out today due to some problems and I was tempted to keep the old battery, but I was afraid that maybe it had something to do with the problems so I let it go, I hope I don't regret it...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash
    Read the thread. I'm talking about the battery test that was done WITHOUT EVDO. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=16
    Last edited by 2000 Man; 08/27/2006 at 08:42 PM.
    Read the thread. I'm talking about the battery test that was done WITHOUT EVDO. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=16
    I unerstand you 2000man. I already new that and considered it. I am just talking from my own opinion as to what I need and utilize on my 700 and what I am willing to accept. With my usage pattern the battery fits me even though it could be better. I do understand for some heavy users this is not acceptable...its just a point of perspective.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I unerstand you 2000man. I already new that and considered it. I am just talking from my own opinion as to what I need and utilize on my 700 and what I am willing to accept. With my usage pattern the battery fits me even though it could be better. I do understand for some heavy users this is not acceptable...its just a point of perspective.
    I understand. Ash didn't seem able to grasp that concept. I made a remark about the battery life in the test and he was unable to get past the idea that EVDO was what caused the difference, though the test was done without EVDO being active.

I don't think that anyone will argue that the 650 doesn't have better battery life than the 700p.
    I did a test and took my phone off the charger at 6 am. I left it on my desk the whole day, didn't get any phone calls, used it very little - just once an hour or so to check battery life. This is on brand new battery. Ive disabled keyboard lights, and did the keyboard hack (though it still blinks), EvDO was running. Chatter is installed and configured to connect to imap accounts, just like my 650 did.

My week old 700p at 8pm was at 17% - there is no way it would have lasted the night.

I'm thinking of returning it and getting a replacement.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast