Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am undecided if I want to purchase this 700wx. I had the ppc6700 and found the os to be very nice. when I went to the 700p from the 6700 I feel in love with the one handed operation and ease of navigating. I didn't have to pay for my 700p, it was given to me in place of my 5th repair on the 6700 in 5 months by sprint service and repair. I starting missing thing like push email with my exchange server, the today screen, windows style folders for store card files.

after about 3 weeks of the 700p I'm not sure about it anymore. I like the tethered text messaging, sprint TV (which I pay only $2.50 more for ultimate version), true picture mail, access to my vision account (what ever its called where I can see minutes used, text messages used, content manager)

I myself have the ability to purchase this new 700wx at full new customer price and have the money in hand I just don't know if it is an upgrade or a down grade. not that you guys input is going to make my decision for me its just I would like to see how many are going in what direction.

there's going to be a thread like this sooner or later so why not now.

I got a list of programs for the soon to be 700wx from http://sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110518

thanks, cody

ps: i am posting this in the 700w forum as well so i dont get favored results. a link to that thread is http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...87#post1070287
  2.    #2  
    so... it looks as if the 700p people have little to say about this topic. is there any one switching to the wx or are you guys all palm os die hards? at least reply back with your reasoning to stay with pos.

the thread in the 700w form got quite a bit more action.

thanks, cody
    Depends on what app do you use offen. If you use remote access or background downloading alot, the 700wx is a better option. I don't consider multimedia streaming better on the wm5 phone. The screen has less resolution so you end up with a crappier video. Music streaming is about the same. Neither can stream real audio can it? Niether has good A2DP support.

Look at the wm5 forum on Howardforums, it's one big self help trouble shooting support group. What version of the file do you use this and what register value do you use that. If you don't mind dealing with that then wm5 is for you.

IMO in current state of PalmOS vs WM5, there is no "killer app" in either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    IMO in current state of PalmOS vs WM5, there is no "killer app" in either side.
    Well said...

As a person who had never owned a Smart Phone in any form the 700p is just incredible to me. Also after friends pointed me in the direction of all the various helpful forums, software and accessory sites I have to say that for me it just gets better with the 700p. I get the feeling that you are missing the WM5 OS or just want to be on the bleeding edge in that case spend away and have fun with the 700wx. My 700p is becoming like AMeX "can't leave home without it". It does everything I want it to do and more so why would I want to change?

Peace,

DREi
    i'm actually quite excited about this phone and I will be making a trip to the Sprint store when it arrives, which will be soon.

As for applications I may miss, they may work under styletap, so I'm keeping my hopes up with that.

I actually would have gone with the 6700 sooner but a few things have kept me here: great battery life and exposed keyboard goodness. with the 700wx, i can finally get windows mobile the way i would want it. whether I will like it or not remains to be seen, but for me, finding out's the fun part.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I finally settled into the Treo 700p after the disappointing Treo 700w (memory mostly) I don't see me switching soon, plus Verizon would need to get it and somehow I don't see that happening until say mid 2007 due to their inventory levels of Treo 700w. Palm pretty much used Verizon customers as guinea pigs to see if it would work or to dump inventory either way I'll pass for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    I finally settled into the Treo 700p after the disappointing Treo 700w (memory mostly) I don't see me switching soon, plus Verizon would need to get it and somehow I don't see that happening until say mid 2007 due to their inventory levels of Treo 700w. Palm pretty much used Verizon customers as guinea pigs to see if it would work or to dump inventory either way I'll pass for now.
    Well the issue here is that now that the memory issue is being solved with the 700wx, is it a better option than the 700p?

Personally, I would go to the store, play with both, and figure out which one you might like. Personally, I'm still stuck myself. I like the simplicity and ease of use of PalmOS, but at the same time, I prefer the advancements of WM5, and I don't exactly like the lower res screen on the 700w/wx...
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    After playing around with other Pocket PCs and the 700w, the 700p and POS just works better for me. It definitely has its quirks, mind you, but I love it.
    Does anyone know whether MLB Gameday Audio and NLF Mobile will work on the 700wx? Do they work on the 700w?
    1. Battery life where better than 700p AND
    2. Screen resolution where comparable AND
    3. One-handed operation was as easy as 700p

other than that the day to day functionality between WM5 and POS isn't all that different
    Some people argue this (though not in this string) as though there is a definitive answer to the question, Palm or WM.

One of the things I really like about Palm is how many no-cost/low cost programs there are for Palm OS. In that way, its kind of like Linux - you can add lots of functionality to a Palm device for next to no real dollars. I spent a couple of years using Pocket PC and WM5 and found that there were very, very, very few free programs for it that added anything meaningful to the device.
    I'm not sure that true. Name each program which you pay for or get free on POS and I'm sure you will find a pay or for free WM equivalent of similar quality. Good software costs money. Even TCMP (which started on WM BTW) is now going commercial.

Surur
    I just made a quick scan for a free tide chart program, or an airline flight status program on WM5 and found neither. I don't intend to invest any more time than that to support my supposition. There is alot of good WM software out there, much of it to support Enterprise level users, but for me there wasn't the same easy access to quality free software on the Windows platform. I still maintain that if you are looking for a lowcost/no cost software solution to whatever it is you may be doing, your odds of being pleasantly suprised are better with Palm OS.
    I have to strongly disagree with this. One handed operation is much easier on the 700p since all the built-in and many third party apps now support the d-pad.

On the 700w, it's the typical microsoft stuff. Most of the apps only have the bare minimum support for the d-pad, many things you still need to pull the stylus out for. And every microsoft app takes more clicks to do the same thing. On a phone call? Nice big buttons on the 700p, several menu clicks needed on the 700w.

I also have to disagree about the screen. I had the 700w for a month and aside from the resolution, the screen just wasn't as bright and vibrant as the 700p. I'd be very surprised if the 700wx was any different.

Finally, although I didn't run any scientific tests, I didn't see enough battery difference between the 700w and the 700p to notice. It certainly wasn't way better on the 700w.

Quote Originally Posted by bscheffel
    1. Battery life where better than 700p AND
    2. Screen resolution where comparable AND
    3. One-handed operation was as easy as 700p

other than that the day to day functionality between WM5 and POS isn't all that different
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    bcaslis - read that again - he was saying he would switch to wx IF 1, 2, 3 were more like the 700p.....
    I had T600 and then PPC6700. I was happy with the 6700 EVDO speeds and web-surfing capabilities. I'm ready to choose between 700p and 700wx. Is it true that the POS is very slow, when web-browsing; as compared to the WM5? Please , I'm not batching anybody, but would like a honest answer. Thank you.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakan
    I had T600 and then PPC6700. I was happy with the 6700 EVDO speeds and web-surfing capabilities. I'm ready to choose between 700p and 700wx. Is it true that the POS is very slow, when web-browsing; as compared to the WM5? Please , I'm not batching anybody, but would like a honest answer. Thank you.
    there was a thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=122241 on this forum saying that some guys 700p was slower than his buddies 6700. both were on sprint. thay were pulling up different sites and the 6700 was winning. comments were made saying that pie (wm)was faster than blazer (palm).

all i know for sure is if i go to a site like nfl.com it comes up as text only site. kindof like a wap browser. this thread titled "Why does blazer go to mobile version of websites" http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=122416 explained it.

some say that blazer works better for them though. i don't know
    Oops! My apologies to bscheffel! I didn't see the subtitle.

I revise my reply to say I agree with you completely.

Or as they say: Never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    bcaslis - read that again - he was saying he would switch to wx IF 1, 2, 3 were more like the 700p.....
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I just made a quick scan for a free tide chart program, or an airline flight status program on WM5 and found neither. I don't intend to invest any more time than that to support my supposition.
    cTide is graphical tide prediction software for PocketPC's and Palm-sized PC's. cTide provides tide and current predictions for about 5,900 locations around the world. Data can be displayed in a few different graphical views. Predictions can be performed on any date between 1970 and 2038. This program uses the harmonic method to display tide levels either as a tide clock (showing the current level) or as a graph. All of the data and constants are read in from the harmonics file.

This program is postcard-request free software. Source code is included. If you like the software, please send me a postcard. The address is listed in the program under Help About cTide.
    http://airtaxi.net/ctide/

SkyTeam 1.0
    SkyTeam is an application for travelers accustomed to using the services of SkyTeam (Air France, KLM, Alitalia, Continental, Delta Airlines, Korean... 08-12-2004 5/10 3823
    Swiss Timetable 4.0
    Another is the series of airline timetables, this time those of the Swiss. This program is far from the worst and is very nice: when you choose the... 22-10-2003 6/10 2732
    American Airlines Timetable 1.0
    Since I've started, I'll continue to give links to the timetables of the major airline companies. This time it's American Airlines. They use the... 16-10-2003 5/10 2325
    Star Alliance Timetable 1.0
    All the timetables from the Star Alliance companies (you know, it is one of the worldwide alliances of airline companies) in your Pocket PC. This... 15-10-2003 6/10 4473
    Lufthansa Timetable 1.0
    After testing the Air France software, it is only fair to test another airline software: Lufthansa also has its version to inform its wonderful... 15-10-2003 5/10 3516
    http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php

Lots more PocketPC freeware there. Maybe you just did not know where to look?

Surur
  20.    #20  
    this is one of the main issues for me choosing to go back to wm. I have had only for a few months. I have found free programs but not many have been updated since 2004. with everyone saying that the problems with treos (pos) always reseting is due to 3rd party software, I'm weary to try these free outdated programs.

I had my ppc6700 FULL of free programs and had no problems with the apps. I seem to be able to find way more apps, free and for small fees for wm, than I do for pos.

I could be wrong but aren't there more wm devices out there than palm? would that be in favor for developers to do wm apps? i'm not just talking about phones, i'm talking about pda's in general.

I don't know, I could be wrong.

edit/update: i went to pdaphonehome.com and in the list of forums i counted 18 palm device forums and 36 posketpc forums. from this there are twice as many devices at least.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast