Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Sorry I'm so late with this, but I don't get online every day. What the hell is the 700"wx"? Can someone please give me a link or something that will catch me up?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc
    edit/update: i went to pdaphonehome.com and in the list of forums i counted 18 palm device forums and 36 posketpc forums. from this there are twice as many devices at least.
    Its about 70:30%, and thats being generous to PalmOS.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I also have to disagree about the screen. I had the 700w for a month and aside from the resolution, the screen just wasn't as bright and vibrant as the 700p. I'd be very surprised if the 700wx was any different.
    Did you see that video that was posted in a thread here where the guy was comparing a 700W to a 700WX? The screen on the 700WX was much brighter. The guy in the video even commented about it. I think this video is now hosted on Shadomite's site.

http://www.ffrate.net/treovstreo.mp4

http://shadowmite.com/blog/index.php
  4.    #24  
    [QUOTE=IsLNdbOi]Did you see that video that was posted in a thread here where the guy was comparing a 700W to a 700WX? The screen on the 700WX was much brighter. The guy in the video even commented about it.

I talked with that guy about the screen brightness. he said that thay were about the same. thay were 3 clicks from max. the video did make it lool brighter tho.
    I saw it but the comment was that he had to hard reset the 700w since it kept dimming the screen to minimum. He never said anything in the video about the 700wx being brighter. He used the camera at an angle to the 700w so it appeared slightly dimmer. If it was directly on the screens my guess is that they would have appeared almost the same brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Did you see that video that was posted in a thread here where the guy was comparing a 700W to a 700WX? The screen on the 700WX was much brighter. The guy in the video even commented about it. I think this video is now hosted on Shadomite's site.

http://www.ffrate.net/treovstreo.mp4

http://shadowmite.com/blog/index.php
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I saw it but the comment was that he had to hard reset the 700w since it kept dimming the screen to minimum. He never said anything in the video about the 700wx being brighter. He used the camera at an angle to the 700w so it appeared slightly dimmer. If it was directly on the screens my guess is that they would have appeared almost the same brightness.
    yes, i talked to him about this and he said that thay were both about the same. it must have just been the angle of the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by bscheffel View Post
    1. Battery life where better than 700p AND
    2. Screen resolution where comparable AND
    3. One-handed operation was as easy as 700p

other than that the day to day functionality between WM5 and POS isn't all that different
    I've used both 700s and stuck with the p - it is easier to use 1 handed, especially as phone. I also found the w's interface clunky - it used up too much screen space all the time. Was it a bad phone? No, I just prefer the p. My experoence w/ battery life was they were both about the same.
    Its clear to me that there isn't a compelling hardware-based reason to choose one Treo OS over the other - its just what you are like, and what you are most comfortable with. For me, my level of understanding of the Palm OS is much greater through frequency of use, so its what I prefer. I encourage the people around me who ask for advice - if they are going to turn to me for support in some way - to go with Palm...its not a knock against WM5, its just what I know.
  9.    #29  
    now that it is confirmed that the wx will have chat style text and sprint tv, thing we didnt expect since that could do it with the 6700. does this change anything for the 700p lovers. i know that there is still the 320x320 vs 240x240 issue and some say it is easier to navigate with, these new features confirmed kind of sway me over to the wx. just woundering what you guys thought now.

thanks, cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    . just woundering what you guys thought now.
    Seeing that I posted in the other thread (in the 700w forum) that I was having heartburn deciding which device (the p or wx) I want to upgrade my t600 with, I'd follow up here. I decided to get the 700p. 2 reasons:

1. Time and fimilarity with POS. As stated in the other thread: "WM is new shoes and leaving blisters" for me. I liked the tight Outlook integration of WM (I'm a heavy OL user), but I'm close to investing in KeySuite instead. Don't know why I never have...in the past I've been diligent in keeping my categories in OL below the 15 limit, but it's been confining, but as well, working...

2. I have a few apps on POS that I'd like to continue using (Pocket Quicken, Shadowplan, pfuel) Yes there are PCC versions, but POS is where I'm at, what I've been using, and software I already own

MultiTasking? Don't care. MP3's and TV? Don't care. VNC and system admin? Don't care.

I can see in the future (2 years from now when I'm ready to upgrade again) if POS is still at or near it's current state of implementation I'll be switching to WM (or a Treo(linux)??). But not yet....not yet...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. I went through the same ordeal when deciding between 700w and 700p, finally settling on the 700p:

- the 700W had not enough memory. This argument of course may not be valid with the 700wx 64MB, but then again how many kb/Mb does a WM5 app require vs. a POS app? I have several useful apps in my 700p that take no more than 50k of RAM and they don't eat so much RAM like the ones in WM5.
    - True One handed operation is only possible with the 700p. In WM you need lots'o tapping here and there to close/switch apps, or many extra button presses to switch and close open apps.
    - Using the 700p as a phone is much much easier than the 700wx; this is important since I mean, after all the Treos are phones, right?
    - There's a lot of discussion between 6700 and 700p. A coworker has the 6700 and once I got my 700p we did a side-by-side comparison. We browsed the exact same website (www.engadget.com, very appropiate I'd say) with the phones almost in the exact same physical space. Blazer displayed the website faster... but only the text portion. PIE displayed the entire thing a few seconds after and Blazer almost finished at the same time completing the rendering of the webpage with correct fonts, images, etc. This may extend to the 700wx if WM5 is the same...
    - To be fair, WM5 is way more flexible in terms of Bluetooth and tethering hacking shennanigans. You have more options to play with BT using Windows Mobile than the severely crippled BT functionality of the Treo 700p, for that I'd give props to the 700w/wx. Also the DUN is way easier to do with WM5, only a matter of flipping a few bits in the register and you're done. For the 700p requires hacks that are not 100% solid or adding extra software to do the task (pdanet for example) and maybe extra $$ if you go for the official Sprint/Verizon approved methods

- Also, comparing 6700's and 700p's screens, hands down the winner was the Treo 700p (it also applies to the 700w vs 700p btw). This was not my own statement but the 6700's owner statement after seeing images of cool sexy tech gadgets displayed in my cool little sexy gadget

- Regarding battery life, definitely POS is more power consciouss than WM5.

- To fan the flames, the 700w/wx wins in terms of WiFi... of course you have to buy an SD WiFi card for that, but there's no alternative for WiFi in the 700p (will there ever be one?). Of course with EVDO you can argue is not really needed but heck, the forums are flooded with discussions about this very topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. I went through the same ordeal when deciding between 700w and 700p, finally settling on the 700p:

- the 700W had not enough memory. This argument of course may not be valid with the 700wx 64MB, but then again how many kb/Mb does a WM5 app require vs. a POS app? I have several useful apps in my 700p that take no more than 50k of RAM and they don't eat so much RAM like the ones in WM5.
    - True One handed operation is only possible with the 700p. In WM you need lots'o tapping here and there to close/switch apps, or many extra button presses to switch and close open apps.
    - Using the 700p as a phone is much much easier than the 700wx; this is important since I mean, after all the Treos are phones, right?
    - There's a lot of discussion between 6700 and 700p. A coworker has the 6700 and once I got my 700p we did a side-by-side comparison. We browsed the exact same website (www.engadget.com, very appropiate I'd say) with the phones almost in the exact same physical space. Blazer displayed the website faster... but only the text portion. PIE displayed the entire thing a few seconds after and Blazer almost finished at the same time completing the rendering of the webpage with correct fonts, images, etc. This may extend to the 700wx if WM5 is the same...
    - To be fair, WM5 is way more flexible in terms of Bluetooth and tethering hacking shennanigans. You have more options to play with BT using Windows Mobile than the severely crippled BT functionality of the Treo 700p, for that I'd give props to the 700w/wx. Also the DUN is way easier to do with WM5, only a matter of flipping a few bits in the register and you're done. For the 700p requires hacks that are not 100% solid or adding extra software to do the task (pdanet for example) and maybe extra $$ if you go for the official Sprint/Verizon approved methods

- Also, comparing 6700's and 700p's screens, hands down the winner was the Treo 700p (it also applies to the 700w vs 700p btw). This was not my own statement but the 6700's owner statement after seeing images of cool sexy tech gadgets displayed in my cool little sexy gadget

- To fan the flames, the 700w/wx wins in terms of WiFi... of course you have to buy an SD WiFi card for that, but there's no alternative for WiFi in the 700p (will there ever be one?). Of course with EVDO you can argue is not really needed but heck, the forums are flooded with discussions about this very topic.
    Well written and informative post. Thank you Waldo!
    I don't consider a lack of WiFi support to be a major issue with my 700p based upon my experience of what a battery hog WiFi is on a handheld device. Lots of people want it as a theoretical "feature", but if they had it they would find themselves gravitating to EVDO and even 1x to access online resources to save their batteries.
    Re WM5 vs POS battery life, the WM5 treo has a longer standby and talk time than the POS Treo. This is of course with near exact same hardware.

Surur
    The big thing for many others and not so much for me anymore is the lower res screen on the 700W/WX. I've owned several 320x320 PalmOS devices and while that resolution is nice, after playing with the 700W a couple of times, it's not really a big deal. What is a big deal is how there are new things coming out / being developed that won't work with PalmOS in its current state (slingbox and skype just to name two). Also, one thing I don't like about Blazer (but is fixable by using up memory and installing other browsers) is how some sites default to their mobile version with no way to load the full version of the site.
    No change in opinion, not enough difference and I find most apps on the Palm OS side just better. I've tried every calendar app on WM5 and I STILL think the default Palm calendar is better 99% of time. The problem with the windows mobile developers (in my opinion) is that nobody wants to make an app easier and simpler, all they do is clutter it with every stinking feature in the world.

Example, I want categories in the calendar app and I want to color code the categories so I tell at a glance what on the calendar today. Easy on the 700p calendar, hard to do with WM5 apps. I have alot more examples also.

Now the new 750 photos going around are interesting. If it's really slightly thinner, got quad-band gsm tri-mode UMTS (I hope) and maybe Wifi that would be enough to send me to Cingular and I'd be willing to go to WM5 if there was no Palm OS equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    now that it is confirmed that the wx will have chat style text and sprint tv, thing we didnt expect since that could do it with the 6700. does this change anything for the 700p lovers. i know that there is still the 320x320 vs 240x240 issue and some say it is easier to navigate with, these new features confirmed kind of sway me over to the wx. just woundering what you guys thought now.

thanks, cody
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo
    I venture to say most users will find 64mb more than enough. For space savings one can use UPX4PPC, a free little program that literally compresses .exe and .dll files up to 50%. I got Opera from 5mb to 1.8 and it loads faster now.
    This is true only in this sense: right out of the box. I wrote a detailed post on this here: with 15 minutes, you'll use any WM5 device one-handed. I myself rarely use the stylus.

Now, a strong argument can be made that this needs to be improved and in fact MS is doing this w/ each new AKU update. There is a reason why WM5 is not "truly one-handed" that a lot you folks forget about: A lot of us (myself included) have used WM for years (back when it was 2002, 2003, 2003 SE) and were used to the "no keyboard" PDA. That's how PDAs were designed, to use a stylus and we all be accustomed to it, hence why many long-time users of WM don't mind using a stylus.

Then you have the new crowd (Palm users, non-PDA users, etc) who are used to and now demand "true one handed" operation.

MS has to basically accomodate both groups: weaning us previous users off of the old design, bringing in new users with the new one. As true PDAs die off and merge with the "smartphone", this will happen.

I could go on but Ed Hardy does a better job in his article: "Get Ready for Some Big Changes in the Way Your Mobile Device Looks and Acts", which I highly recommend to better understand the big picture.
    This is a misconception. A very popular one. For instance, people always state that the 6700 gets worse battery life than the 700P. But the rub is the 6700 has a 1350mah battery, the 700p 1800mah. Put a 2400mah battery in both and you'll get very similar battery performance (I went 23 hours the other day, running push, BT and in a low signal area and still had 30% left). Same with a 700p vs 700wx--both are rated for the same usage (technically, the 700wx is rated for 5 hours talk time, slightly more than the 700p 4.5 hours).

And the point about wifi: The fact is, people like at least the option of having WiFi available. As fast as EvDO is, WiFI is faster....much faster from my experience. Also, if you're traveling to somewhere with no EvDO (say, Vermont!) and you're in a hotel...WiFi is very, very nice. Yes, it's a battery hog but it's still a nice option and I like using it when I can (power wise) afford it.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/30/2006 at 04:02 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'd love to see a side by side comparison of video on the 700P vs. 700wx.

there are a few apps I'd miss if I switched. Mainly games such as zdoom, zhexen, etc. Also, since I watch much video on the 700p, I think I'd be disappointed in the 700wx, but I'd like to see a comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    As for applications I may miss, they may work under styletap, so I'm keeping my hopes up with that.
    I completely forgot about StyleTap. Hopefully it works with some PalmOS games I can't find WM equivalents for.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    The big thing for many others and not so much for me anymore is the lower res screen on the 700W/WX. I've owned several 320x320 PalmOS devices and while that resolution is nice, after playing with the 700W a couple of times, it's not really a big deal. What is a big deal is how there are new things coming out / being developed that won't work with PalmOS in its current state (slingbox and skype just to name two). Also, one thing I don't like about Blazer (but is fixable by using up memory and installing other browsers) is how some sites default to their mobile version with no way to load the full version of the site.
    And may I ask how did you come to the conclusion that Sling and Skype won't support the POS in the near future? As a matter of fact I use Skype on POS all the time. It's not the full client but it works well for me. As for SlingBox it's ORB for now.

http://www.eqo.com/download_what.php
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast