1.    #1  
    My verizon contract is coming to end. I am not sure if I want the Treo 700p from Verizon or Sprint. The Sprint unlimitted data plan is sure cheaper than Verizon's: $25 vs. $45!

Have anyone gone through the process of deciding between the two recently? I'd love to hear your thinking.

Thanks.

Max
    I still can't believe how much more expensive Verizon's data service is over Sprint's. When I first got power vision I wasn't going to pay the $25 because I thought it was a rip off so I talked to retentions and they gave it to me for $2.50. Little did I know Verizon had it worst! If I were you I'd go with Sprint if you have good service and evdo in your area.
    diane
    You don't have to get the $25 dollar plan. There is a $20 just as good (less tv channels you wont be watching) and a $15 if you do not do the picture mail thing. Instant messaging is also bizarre at Verizon. I heard their plans only have unlimited messaging to other Verizon phones. It really comes down to a coverage issue. If Sprint covers areas you are likely to be, then I do not see why Verizon should get the extra funds. Also if you have any type of company discount at work, Sprints is usually better.
    check out SERO. u would get free power vision with SERO.
    I depends on what you are looking for. I wanted data but I also want to use it as a modem.

For Sprint that's $40 or $50 a month. For Verizon, it's $45 + $15 so it's $60 a month. Not as big a difference as data only.

Also if you don't get coverage, then price isn't as important. Sprint is very marginal in many places for me, while Verizon gets coverage just fine (including EVDO).

Finally, every time I've called Verizon I've gotten a real human who knew what they are doing. Can't say anything close for Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Carterism
    I still can't believe how much more expensive Verizon's data service is over Sprint's. When I first got power vision I wasn't going to pay the $25 because I thought it was a rip off so I talked to retentions and they gave it to me for $2.50. Little did I know Verizon had it worst! If I were you I'd go with Sprint if you have good service and evdo in your area.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Coverage first, then rate. If you have good coverage in your area with Sprint that is the way you should go. If not, be ready to pay with Verizon.
    at&t iPhone3G
    ...but have you seen the phones verizon's been coming out w/lately? like that chocolate something phone (lg slider)? man that thing's sexy...sprint phones, not so much...
    well, 'cept for my pink treo of course :-D
    http://images18.fotki.com/v339/photo...IMG0648-vi.jpg
    sorry for thread crapping...carry on
    if you care about network reliability, get Verizon. if you care about price, and are ok with sacrificing reliability, get Sprint. With the recent problems that Sprint has had with not being able to receive text messages or voicemail notifications not working, I would probably say that Sprint's reliability is proving shaky at best.

Of course, I will probably get flack for the above statements, but it is true.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i have been a Sprint Pcs subscriber since 1996 and lived through the terrible coverage of the late 90's......in the last three years i have had great service....if you are in a good coverage area for Sprint I would highly recommend it........
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    if you care about network reliability, get Verizon. if you care about price, and are ok with sacrificing reliability, get Sprint. With the recent problems that Sprint has had with not being able to receive text messages or voicemail notifications not working, I would probably say that Sprint's reliability is proving shaky at best.

Of course, I will probably get flack for the above statements, but it is true.
    I haven't had any problems with text messaging or voicemail from Sprint.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Well, I am struggling with the reverse decision, move from Sprint to Verizon!

Found that Sprint does not have a roaming agreement in Northern Iowa (have family there), and no intent to get it. Get full roaming signal strength, but whenever I try to dial it disconnects, making the phone useless in that area. Not nice!!

So, am also looking for responses from this thread for guidance. And, of course, any tips for getting best price package is welcome!
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl
    Well, I am struggling with the reverse decision, move from Sprint to Verizon!

Found that Sprint does not have a roaming agreement in Northern Iowa (have family there), and no intent to get it. Get full roaming signal strength, but whenever I try to dial it disconnects, making the phone useless in that area. Not nice!!

So, am also looking for responses from this thread for guidance. And, of course, any tips for getting best price package is welcome!
    You have no choice. These are the type of scenarios that are killing Sprint but also allowing them to keep prices so low.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    The only thing I can suggest to you is make sure you choose the provider with the best coverage in your area. Talk to people who have had service with either or both from your area, also areas in which you travel,commute, work, etc... I have ended up with Verizon and love my service. It is worlds away from the horrible experience of cingular. I haven't been with sprint so I reserve judgement, but many in my area have used both and said sprint's coverage was not up to snuff yet. It is important to remember how much service varies from area to area, even within the same provider.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Everyone's right regarding coverage, try both companys using thier trial periods to make sure. Even where your home is can make difference!

As an old sprint customer who had to go to verizon, its worth the extra dolllars to have good coverage, no lock ups while its constanstly trying to find service etc.

Even moved std phone across after, 14 hrs plus hours of use, I have had 1.41mins of roaming , using amp'd/verizon service.
    verizon has the best service hands down, my cousin had a 650 with sprint and it had problems like the internet wouldn't work,he would step to the left and he was roaming he would get 1 bar and I would have 3 or 4. So he switch to verizon and has been happier ever after
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Go with Verizon! Sprint reception is unreliable at best and if you go to a Sprint store for service you're lucky if they don't spit on you.
    Heh...funny question, I just changed my plan wtih sprint today to something even better than what i had. I pay $67 a month now for 3 lines, 1400 minutes on the fair and flexible plan, 7pm nights, unlimited roaming (yes on verizon too), unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited data on all 3 lines as well as 500 SMS on each of the 3 lines.

As long as sprint has these great deals on monthly plans, I will always be a subscriber. Plus, the quality of the calls on Sprint is better than it has been on verizon in my experience (not trying to start a whole this is better than that war, just stating what I've seen).
    The funny thing is that each person is going to have different experiences with each provider. I've been with Sprint since they first came to California, and I never had a problem with service or dropped calls or roaming. I travelled in and around California, Las Vegas, Texas, Atlanta, and Arizona and had no problems. I've found over the years that a lot of the reception issues had to do with the particular type of phone that someone had. Some phones just had really good reception, some had jacked up reception. Another thing that I found was when a friend of mine at work was having problems with his phone, he had sprint, and we were talking about our service, he said he loved it but he was being charged some outrageous fees for roaming, I've never roamed while I've had sprint, never. So I looked at his phone and it was set to switch to roam automatically if it wasn't in sprints area. He was roaming right as we were talking and we both had sprint. So, I switched it to Sprint only, and it stopped roaming and he picked up Sprint service like he should have right there where we both were standing. That was 5 months ago, he said he hasn't roamed since I fixed his phone.

Try going to Verizon and see how you like it, the only way for you to know is to try it yourself or if you know some friends or family that are in your area with Verizon, see how they like it.

The one thing that I will say, is Sprints customer service is horrible, just down right ashame.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I just moved to Sprint after ~8 years with Verizon. The cost of the data plan did it for me. That said, coverage is the main thing. I live in a fringe area for Sprint EVDO coverage and the phone goes into roaming often but I have not had too many problems. I did have the missing calls until a soft reset for a while but I think it was the Treo, not Sprint. Verizon had some issues too and some of the little tricks they played when "upgrading" services or phones had me looking for options also.
    Where I live Verizon is not as good as Sprint. For example on a Verizon phone you will get your voice mail a day or two late if your lucky in many cases. While Sprint isn't perfect it works better and if a call doesn't make it through the voicemail is always very fast which is important. Getting voicemail two or more days after someone has left me a message is totally unacceptable.