Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe this! I had my 650 for over a year, never had any problems with it and never even came close to losing it. So... when I bought my 700 I decided "I wasted $75 on insurance last year for no reason", so I passed on the insurance for my 700. Well, I lost my phone 2 days ago, and now I have to buy something new as a replacement. There's no way I'm spending $700 for another 700p, so I'm having to go back to the 650 ($195 shipped off of ebay).

I guess that's why they call it "insurance"... CRAAAAPPP!

Anyway... good luck with your 700s guys. I'm sure I'll be even more upset when your first firmware update comes out and fixes the minor issues the 700 has now. I'll be back when I can get another 700 for under $300...
    I am sorry to hear that.

I hope that you can find a 700p for less than $300.
    Man, that sucks. I hope you find your 700p. Good Luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    That's what's sucky about insurance, when you take it then it's just free money for the insurance co. and when you stop taking it is when you'll need it, never fails.
    garinballbarin
    I spent over $400 insuring my various phones over the past couple years or so. When it came to the first time I had anything resembling a claim (warranty issue, but you need to go through Sprint), they ignored the fact I had insurance and tried to charge me $55.00 for something supposedly covered under insurance. Man, I was pi$$ed when I discovered that. Sprint store managers and employees apparently aren't always aware of their most basic policies and you need to watch out for their ignorance.

One idea that comes to mind: did you purchase your phone with a credit card (or could you make a legit claim that you bought the phone with the credit card even if your carrier runs the charge through your service account)? Many credit cards have loss coverage built in to their benefits and it's usually for a month or three after purchase. I've recovered funds on several Palms that went south within the year after the warranty was up (as they tend to do) and can't say enough good things about American Express's extended warranty coverage. Some VISA and Mastercards have these programs, too. You need the "loss protection" one.

hey - and next time get the insurance. $6 a month for peace of mind on a $700 phone (incl tax) is well worth it. It's like auto insurance - you will be happiest if you never need to use it, but (as you now know) you'll be miserable if you try skirting fate. If you don't hook it up right after purchase, (at least Sprint) won't sell it to you later.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    hey - and next time get the insurance. $6 a month for peace of mind on a $700 phone (incl tax) is well worth it. It's like auto insurance - you will be happiest if you never need to use it, but (as you now know) you'll be miserable if you try skirting fate. If you don't hook it up right after purchase, (at least Sprint) won't sell it to you later.
    Yeah, the SPrint change in insurance policy caught some people unawares, I hate when CS doesn't tell you about that kind of thing
    garinballbarin
    What change are you guys talking about? The $50.00 fee to get a new replacement if you have to make use of your insurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    What change are you guys talking about? The $50.00 fee to get a new replacement if you have to make use of your insurance?
    You have I think 30 days after getting a new Treo to get the insurance, if you let it slide for more than 30 days (I think it's 30 days?) then you can't insure the phone. Before you could add insurance at any old time, now they have a time limit.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...surance+sprint
    Last edited by kamizuno; 08/19/2006 at 05:50 PM.
    garinballbarin
    Ok, say you get your very first Treo 700P insured with Sprint's TEP. If that first 700P becomes damaged or is defective and you get a replacement 700P, is the replacement automatically covered under the insurance / TEP you got w/ the first 700P?
    Definitely check your CC. I know my Amex offers automatic insurance against loss, theft, damage in the first 30 (maybe 60, or even 90) days of purchase.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had the phone charged directly to my Sprint account, which I then paid off during the next month. I don't know if I can legitimately even begin to claim that against a credit card, but I can certainly look in to it. I have a feeling I'm not going to like the answer though...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Shoot! I feel for you, hopefully karma will work for you in the future.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    The reason Sprint doesnt insure you after 30 days anymore,is because people would break or lose their phone and not have insurance, and call it in wait a few days for the insurance to kick in and get their phones replaced. it makes perfect sense, i dont care how many years i go without having to use insurance, i would never take the insurance off my Treo, i have used it too many times for legitimate reasons and never had a problem.
    Fry's Electronics has them on sale unitil Tuesday for $299 with 2 year contract. I bought mine in Houston, I'm not sure what other parts of the county they are in besides Houston, and Dallas....
  15. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Insurance is way too expensive and unnecessary. $6 + taxes a month is more like $9, plus the $50 you need to replace it. Plus, you also get a $150 credit for a 2-yr contract for a new phone. So that's $350 (what I paid) - $150 - $50 = $150. In less than 2 years, you'll have spent more than that in insurance.

Of course, if you do lose your phone you'll feel like an *****. But, "in the long run", you are better off not getting insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l
    Insurance is way too expensive and unnecessary. $6 + taxes a month is more like $9, plus the $50 you need to replace it. Plus, you also get a $150 credit for a 2-yr contract for a new phone. So that's $350 (what I paid) - $150 - $50 = $150. In less than 2 years, you'll have spent more than that in insurance.

Of course, if you do lose your phone you'll feel like an *****. But, "in the long run", you are better off not getting insurance.
    Ya whatever

You dont get the $150 credit but once every 2 years. Not every time you replace a phone.
    Also $6 + taxes isnt $9. that's be 50% tax..sorry
    Hell your whole post is whacked. Even if youre paying $9 a month x 24 (two years) thats $216 + the $50 deductible = $266.
    So even if you didnt use the insurance until your 24th month you would only pay $266 for a replacement. How is this a bad deal?

Good rule of thumb. If the total ins premiums paid over the life of your contract plus the deductible is less than the cost of a new outright replacement, then it's a good idea to have insurance.

I always sell insurance on handsets witht he idea that it's good to have in the short term more than the long. Ex: you drop your phone in the toilet next month and insurance cost you $6+$6+$50 for a replacement. $61 for a new treo is hardly a bad deal.

Of course you have to have a decent grasp of math to be able to appreciate the value of insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Of course you have to have a decent grasp of math to be able to appreciate the value of insurance.
    Ouch

I suck at math. I don't carry the insurance on my 650 (I buy my phones used off ebay.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

18. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Woof,

If it were such a good deal (insurance), I doubt any company would be selling it. I'm sure insurance companies love you & your math (wait, maybe you're an insurance salesperson).

The point is that you are paying for peace of mind. In the long run, insurance is a bad deal. Unless you lose phones quite often and/or you don't have the resources to spend when the unfortunate event happens, insurance is just a waste of money.
    Last edited by t4l; 08/21/2006 at 03:36 PM.
    i think the treo is way too sensitive not to have insurance on, you never know when the damn thing might have a heart attack, before when i had regular flip phones i could care less, but i remember when i have my 650 i replaced it 8 times at the sprint store , and they always looked at my account to make sure it was insured that was the first thing they would ask me before even looking at my phone. even if i didnt have to go thru lockline wich i never did. but once when i broke my Treo300
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l
    The point is that you are paying for peace of mind. In the long run, insurance is a bad deal. Unless you lose phones quite often and/or you don't have the resources to spend when the unfortunate event happens, insurance is just a waste of money.
    $6/mo Insurance on $650.00 portable devices that are easily dropped, lost, stolen, etc. is a no-brainer for me. Although I've never dropped a Treo, I've had many of them have bad manufacturer problems that required replacement.

As crappy as it is - Sprint (and probably the other carriers) will treat you as a second-class citizen even on warranty fixes if you don't pay their Insurance ransom. They will tell you that you may be without a phone for "3-6 weeks" as they fix your phone (they go to China and back on a slow boat or something?).

So for the stuff you do (lose, break, etc.) and the many manufacturer defects all over the Treo line - $6 bucks per month is something I swallow just for the peace of mind that I'll eventually be able to have a working phone in the shortest possible time.

If you think you are so lucky you don't need insurance, I hope you are putting that alleged luck into winning lottery tickets.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast